Will Apple finally get rid of the "CONTACT" app

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I find this app totally unnecessary and just another waste of space on my iPhone, does anyone else agree?

If I ever need to use scroll through my phone book, I always prefer to go through the phone app then contacts

Does anyone even use this app? or does every just go through the phone app too

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
WOW...I actually did not even realize I had this App as I have also never used it in the last 2 years of ownership. :eek:

Just checked and...of course...it's there! LOL I do what you do and go through the Phone. BUT, I can see calling someone on my Contacts list being easier with this certainly.

How odd tho...not being aware of this.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
You bring up a good point. I find myself getting to my contact list via other apps more and more. That said, there are times when someone gives me their phone number or email address and I either want to add them as new or update their card.

With folders in OS 4, I'll most likely bury it with less used apps.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Yes, I use it. In fact I use it the opposite way that you do.

I open up the Contacts list, find the contact, the click on their number to call them.
Sometimes I'll use spotlight as well.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Apple will not get rid of an app just because you find it useless lol.

I myself don't use it either but I'm sure some people out there do. I just stick it in the last page somewhere, and now with 4.0 I just stick it in a folder along with stocks,compass, voice recorder.... and any other apps I dont use.

The perfect solution would be for Apple to allow you to check these off in itunes so they wont sync to your phone. Then everybody will be happy

ScreamingPsycho

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
Rocky Top
I've never used it. I wish Apple would allow you to take home page apps (ex: Contacts, Photos, Calender, Speech, Clock) off. Make a place in Settings for them where you could turn them off.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I'm sure when everyone in the world does things the way you do, Apple will get rid of what you consider a useless app. :rolleyes:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I use it quite often and if it's given the heave ho, that will impact my usage.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Camera is another one I don't use. I have my home button set to fire the camera when I need it. Gotta see how that changes after 4.0 though.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I'm sure when everyone in the world does things the way you do, Apple will get rid of what you consider a useless app. :rolleyes:
do you honestly think im expecting apple to do everything my way :rolleyes:

if i expected that i would make a thread about something MORE important

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I like it.

It makes no sense to go to the "phone" to look up someone's house address or birthday.

In fact, if having the extra icon bothers you I suggest that they get rid of the phone app icon.

Put Visual Voicemail in with the text message app and use 'Contacts' to look up people and call them. You can put a keypad icon in 'Contacts' if you really need to manually dial a number.

(Honestly, I'm fine with having both apps, I'm just saying that if you HAVE to kill one I'd pick the phone app before the contacts app.)

Anthony T

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I plan on making a "Useless S**t" folder, and throwing this in there, along with the "Stocks" app. :D

winoj

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
Here's the scenario: Call someone. While on the phone call hit the home button an try and get to your phonebook through the phone app. It can't be done. The contact app is so you can access your phonebook while on phone calls to get info, say an address or other info of a contact. I think this is the whole purpose of the contact app.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's the scenario: Call someone. While on the phone call hit the home button an try and get to your phonebook through the phone app. It can't be done. The contact app is so you can access your phonebook while on phone calls to get info, say an address or other info of a contact. I think this is the whole purpose of the contact app.
Interesting. I've done that before and never really thought about the fact that I couldn't have done it without that extra app.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Apple should allow us to remove native apps off the home screen.

I took the iTunes store off in the restrictions menu, but I would like to get rid of stocks and replace the weather app with WeatherEye.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't use it that much, and like others have said with the coming of folders, it really isn't a big deal.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I tend to stick unwanted Apps on the last page. It would be nice to remove stuff I don't want, like Stocks. I understand people like to keep it, but I personally have no use for it.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
while in the call

you get a screen of 6 different buttons including end call

i think its like keypad speaker phone and etc

one of them is contacts, you access it from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.