iPhone XS Will Apple have a redesign next year due to sluggish sales?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68020

I know in the past we essentially had two years of the same design (4S, 5S, etc.). but Apple did things differently with the 6, 6S, 7, 8 generations. Since the sales of the XS and XR are not that great compared to the reception of previous iPhone launches, do you think Apple will rethink their strategy and due a new design change just to jump start sluggish sales and make up for lost ground?

2. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

No. It’s too late to change. It’s probably not viable. They’ll need to reduce the prices if they want to sell more. A design change won’t even help that much.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I don't think a new design is going to help them.... I think it's the price that's keeping people away. That being said I do hope they change the design to look like the new ipads, that would be sexy.

4. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

I don't understand why people think a new design is needed constantly... who cares what the phone looks like as long as its performing spectacularly? Only thing I can think is "hey look at me and my new iPhone"

5. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

Didn't Apple make more money this year than last? Seems like their current strategy is working just fine.

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I know this wouldn't satisfy their business model, but how about release a new phone when you have something worth releasing?

7. Achillias Suspended

Achillias

It's not the design, it's the ridiculous amount of money they ask for their new iPhones.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Because some people (such as myself) buy an item based on aesthetics.

Any PoS Android phone can do what I use an iPhone for. But I buy an iPhone because I appreciate the design. And since I don't sell my phones to pay for the next one I end up holding on to them for 3.5 or more years. I can't stand looking at a PoS phone (design wise) for that long.

So, since my current iPhone and hell my iPhone 5, can still do what I need them to do I didn't buy the 7, or the 8, or the X or the XS. At a certain point that camera boil gets just too damn fugly.

Now, the next argument will be "You're just going to stick it in a case anyway." And indeed, that would be reasonable - if I used cases. But I don't.

So, "Look at me and my new iPhone" isn't my reason.

9. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

As long as Apple continues to believe that the fugly cameral boil is a design element it doesn't matter how many redesigns they do - I won't buy.

11. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I don't know. But I have decided that I don't like the all-screen phones. I need bezels to give me options for how to hold them. Plus with all screen, I'm always turning something on or off accidentally. It sucks.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2018 ---
    Also that.

12. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

XR needs to be smaller than the XS and $100 cheaper.

13. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

Sluggish? Compared to whom? Or to what?

14. scottcampbell macrumors regular

R&D cycles are longer than a year, so 2019 iPhones will not be reacting to 2018 iPhone sales.

15. gpoop macrumors regular

No, The X/XS should have been/be the size of the XR and the XR should be the size of the X/XS.

16. Ralfi, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Biennial release? I’m up for that.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2018 ---
    The average sized hand won’t prefer the XR size. Many use their phone one handed & need it - primarily - to be portable, as an unobtrusive work tool. Not a video/games consumption machine.

It needs to compliment the rest of their lifestyles, not be an overbearing device in their hand/s & pocket.

Larger sized phones may well do that for many, but for most, I think the 5.8” seamlessly fits, figuratively/literally.

17. gpoop macrumors regular

Tell that to every galaxy user ever

18. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

you start with a false premise. the answer to your question is no.

19. djdsas macrumors member

I'm still rockin' my iPhone 7+ but I will buy a new iPhone Max if they design it like the new iPads...take my money Apple!

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The large majority of consumers have no clue about specs and benchmarks, and I wouldn't call any iPhone currently sold by Apple "slow". Most people absolutely care at least as much about the design as they do performance. Heck, just read these forums to see how many people passed on the 8/8 Plus because it looked "dated" or "obsolete" while praising the X (same chip, memory, and performance as the 8 Plus) because its design is more "modern".

Why do you think that when there isn't a new design there's at least a new colour? Consumers are incredibly superficial, and will buy a new product just because it's visibly different from the last model.

21. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Too late now. Once you reach a price point, you’re never going back.

Anything “cheaper” won’t be as good as current models. ie: XR.

22. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Well, that’s subjective. Whatever the XS offers that the XR doesn’t, I don’t personally find I miss for myself. Dollar-for-dollar, the XR is the better value for me, and I’m sure a lot of others feel the same.

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I doubt there will be a redesign. Apple is also sluggish in that department.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Apple (rightly) does not force design changes based on device sales. In fact, I would argue a design change will not change the sales of iPhone. The market in most major iPhone markets is saturated and a design change won't change that.

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I’m thinking more along the lines of not having a schedule at all. The annual release cycle has forced them into coming out with a new model every year no matter what new features they may have to offer.