Will Apple release Macbook 2019?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pjny, Apr 15, 2019.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi

I am looking to upgrade my 2015 Macbook 1.3ghz and want to know if Apple will release an update this year. If so. when?

I do not want to get the Air or Pro due to weight issues in a backpack where every pound counts during long days.

Thanks.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Very likely, since they didn't release an updated one last year. Also possible that they think the Macbook Air will take its place. They usually update the Macbook here in spring, so I would at least wait out the beginning of May before buying. Last years model was released the 6th of June, so you may have to wait somewhat longer though, if you want to be sure.

I personally wouldn't recommend the current Macbook, because of the keyboard.

3. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

MacBook = 2.03 lbs.
    MacBook Air = 2.75 lbs.

Conclusion = If you can't haul around a new 2018 Air, you need to get to the gym, dude.

4. sakabaro macrumors regular

The thing is there is also no real difference of weight between the Air and the 13" Pro. While the diff. in performance is very real. So you might as well get the 13" pro following this logic.

12" on the other hand is awesome from a form factor. I can work on it via holding it one hand and typing with the other. You can't do that with the Pro.

5. HappyIntro macrumors regular

HappyIntro

The difference is significant and what makes the 12" MacBook so attractive to those who are looking for light weight and small footprint. I throw my 2017 MacBook in my backpack almost every day and very much value its current form factor.

To the OP: An alternative to waiting for an updated MacBook is to get the 2017 MB when you see it pop up on sale from various vendors (B&H, Microcenter, etc.). If we get lucky and Apple actually updates in it 2019, I'm sure it won't be cheap, while the 2017 can be had at some very attractive discounts from time to time, so you may not have the latest and greatest, but you'd still have a great little zippy laptop and save $$$. I've only had mine around 9 mos, but the keyboard has been perfect so far (fingers crossed).

6. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

I say wait until June. If Apple doesn't refresh it then, perhaps the MacBook will be slowly phased out?

7. jbsiii, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

jbsiii macrumors newbie

Is it possible that :apple: is holding off until they can launch a revised/improved keyboard? After "apologizing" for the present keyboard design in other Mac models, they likely would be criticized if they were seen as releasing products that perpetuate customer frustrations. BTW, I'm also looking forward to a new MB -- it is an awesome form factor for my needs.

8. sky87 macrumors newbie

I'm also waiting for a MB update.

I currently have a 13" MBP that is awesome, but not something that I'd want to bring around with me daily. I also have an iPad Pro 10.5" that is decent but not a good replacement for a fully functioning computer. I can see myself bringing around the 12" MB though given the difference in size/weight (having compared this in store).

I would have gotten a 2017 MB - however the only offer available on it where I am is the Apple refurb store (haven't seen anything along the lines of the deep discounts that have been shared here), and I really, really don't like the 2nd gen butterfly keyboard that it has.

9. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

It look like Best Buy has the 12" MB back on sale for $849.

10. Aquamite macrumors 6502

Aquamite

There are no new Intel CPU models suitable for the MacBook unless Apple decides to go with the 8th gen Core Y chip family the one–they already used for–the MacBook Air belongs in which have been out since the third quarter of 2018. As there are no new 9th gen Core Y models announced so far I wouldn't expect them to release a refreshed MacBook in the near future. Maybe later in the year once the chips are announced... maybe this fall?

I really don't see at all Apple refreshing the MacBook this June with chips that have already been out for almost a year...

11. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Well, that's what they did with the iMacs...

12. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

Even if Apple did release a new MacBook, it'd only be worth buying if it came with a solid, reliable, quiet, keyboard.

13. Texas26257 macrumors member

Texas26257

I guess I got lucky have MacBook newest version and keyboard is great on both

14. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

If Apple follows the iPad lineup with the MacBooks, it would be nice if the MacBook returns to being the sub-1k mainstream laptop in the family, hopefully without being too crippled. Honestly i'd be happy with something a little thicker, it'd be perfectly acceptable, to me at least, if they recycle the old MBA chassis, replace the DisplayPort and magsafe with USB-C (non-thunderbolt), keep the USB-A ports and stick a mainstream 15watt U-series processor in there, replace the display with a 14" (or keep the 13") and go for a standard IPS FHD display.

Basically an ideal laptop for a typical college student. I suppose it's a wild pipe dream?

15. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I always have the "tip over" phobia with that. No third hand to catch it.

16. 537635 macrumors 6502a

After all this time people still think USB-A is coming back...

Apple lately hasn't been designing things which would best suit their users. They are designing things that best suit their income short term.

17. fokmik macrumors 68040

I hope Apple will start adopt this year, the 1W display
    This macbook and macbook air could last 2-3 hours more just thanks to that
    To have a 12" MB that last 12 hours is nice
    To have an 13" MBA that last 14 hours is even nicer