Will AVRCP be in iPhone OS 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imaginex20, Feb 16, 2010.

1. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

HI guys!

Does anyone know if Apple will finally implement/include the AVRCP bluetooth stack in the iPhone OS 4.0? I just recently purchased a bluetooth headset and the missing functionality is getting a little annoying.

Thanks!

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am not sure how important this feature would be for Apple to include, although it is a neat feature by nature, it doesn't seem to be an industry standard, and Apple does not follow everyone else, they all seem to follow Apple

3. imaginex20 thread starter macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Sometimes trying to be different can do more harm than good...I hope Apple realizes this one day

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPhone has partially supported AVRCP since 3.1. I believe the only thing it doesn't support is skipping and repeating tracks.

5. benliles macrumors newbie

Limited AVRCP 1.0 implementation

The iPhone has a limited 1.0 implementation (Play/pause/stop). Next/previous are part of 1.0. 1.3 adds multimedia information. My car (Mazda) has support for 1.3. It's sad that a car company can implement the industry standard more quickly than a software company.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd assume all Apple would have to do is update the software ... or would the hardware need to be upgraded?

7. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

Hardware does not need to be upgraded with this.

8. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

It does not, but maybe they will add it before release (probably not though). They added a volume adjustment on the phone itself instead of just being on the headphones. So now you can play with both the volume on the phone and the headphones to get it to that perfect level.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Volume adjustment has always been on the iPhone itself....

10. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Weird, not for me. When using A2DP BT headset (Moto S9-HDs) the volume control on the iPhone did nothing at all, it was all controlled on the headset itself. Now I can lower or raise the "base level" volume on the iPhone and then adjust on the S9s as well.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It's always worked for me, at least until my S9 died from sweat during a workout. Who would have thought that a device promoted to be used when running/working out would get damaged by sweat...

F**K Motorola!

12. imaginex20 thread starter macrumors 65816

imaginex20

anyone know if AVRCP is included or not in 4.0?

13. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Will try it after it is done restoring.

14. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

15. imaginex20 thread starter macrumors 65816

imaginex20

thanks for trying. Why is Apple being so resistant in adding small features like this that will make such a big impact on the usability of the phone? :rolleyes:

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That is a bummer for the iPhone and iPad. Would really like track control from the headset. How hard could it be?

17. ikaka macrumors regular

ikaka

F*CK U APPLE! That was the only feature I was hoping for in 4.0! Catchup to the year 2000 apple! Even my old Nokia supports AVRCP!

18. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

+1000 to that brother. So simple for them to do, so powerful for us if they would, so frickin' pointless of them not to.

19. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

It's quite disappointing that they're apparently still resisting adding full AVRCP to the iPhone OS... I had high hopes with them finally relenting and allowing Bluetooth keyboards that they'd finally let us control the devices properly from headsets/car stereos like the WinMo phone I had 2 years ago was capable of. It just makes no sense why they'd leave it off- is it really THAT much harder to implement the skip/previous functionality?

At least for the time being I can still use Bluetooth Helper to make it possible to control the device at least a bit better when in the car...

20. chuckys1180 macrumors newbie

If you're jailbroken go to cydia and search for music controls, version 1.2 added FULL avrcp control in just about all music apps. Even allows apps like pandora to run in the backround while you text or surf the web. It has a 5 day free trial and cost 4.99 if you decide you want to keep it. I've been using it for a few days now with my rocketfish mab2 stereo Bluetooth and now can actually use my track select buttons with no problems and works as if it were native to the iPhone.

21. Dave6195 macrumors newbie

Could someone check and see if this is included in the new Beta 3 just released??

Cheers!

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1

23. corndogg macrumors newbie

Thought I'd let everyone know that AVRCP works 100% for me now! I stumbled upon the feature accidentally when I was working out at the gym yesterday (I bumped the skip track and it worked). So I searched online today because the last I checked it wasn't enabled. The headphones I'm using it with are the Rocketfish (BestBuy) brand BT headphones. Then when I got to my car, I disconnected from the headphones and connected to my Pioneer 9800BT deck and the skip track button worked there too! I was very excited to discover this but perplexed at the same time.

So today I hop in my car and decide to try the skip track and it doesn't work. So now I'm wondering if I was just high on crack yesterday and imagining it working. So after playing with it, I discovered that I have to pair it with the headphones first and then the other devices have full functionality. The reason it stopped working was that when I'm not using the BT, I turn it off via the swapbt app in cydia. As long as I keep BT enabled, it will work with both devices even after a reboot. The only time I had to reconnect to the headphones first is when I turn BT off.

My phone specs: Jailbroken 3G on 3.1.2 Bluetooth related apps installed: swapbt, iBlueNova and sbsettings toggle. Don't know if those apps have anything to do with it working though.

Know I'm new here but I'm happy to answer any questions that may help everyone get this feature enabled as it was really annoying that apple only enabled play/pause.

24. corndogg macrumors newbie

So after reading through the rest of the thread, this has got to be the reason it's working for me too. But it doesn't work with my Pioneer 9800BT deck unless I pair it with the headphones first.

25. geko29 macrumors 6502

Does not work on my Sony DR-BT100CX headphones, nor my Jabra Cruiser speakerphone. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!