Will Flash on the Mac ever not suck?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasJL, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to Flash 10. The fans on my MacBook still spin like crazy.

What the hell is wrong with Adobe? Why did they even release Flash 10? The fact that the cheapest PC netbook with the weakest CPU can run Flash better than the top-of-the-line mac pro is just pathetic.

Every time a Flash popup apprears on a Web page, my fans spin like crazy.

Realistically, when would you guys guess that Adobe will make a version of Flash for the Mac that actually works properly?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To be honest, i just hope that the world can move on from that pathetic software.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

No.

Adobe is run by incompetent windows execs who look no further ahead in time then pushing out fat bloated barely new featured and hugely expensive "editions" just in time for the next quarter's stock / shareholder meeting.

4. lazydesi macrumors 6502

5. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't happen. Every single day, Flash is becoming more-and-more used on Web sites. If anything, the world will increasingly adopt Flash.

I just upgraded to the recently released version of Flash, version 10,0,22,87. My MacBook's fans are still spinning like crazy. I have 4GB of memory, too.

I just can't believe this... I wouldn't care if Flash sucked if it was some rarely-used niche plugin. That's not the case though, as Flash is one of the most ubiquitous things on the Internet.

YouTube and other similar Flash-based video Web sites are a bastion of useful information. Yahoo Finance displays stock charts in Flash. It's frustrating trying to quickly get stock info, moving my cursor over the peaks and dips of the Flash-based graph, only to wait for my computer to recover from the brief stalling.

There must be a logical explanation as to why Flash sucks so horribly on the Mac. Could someone here please explain this?

6. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

The same problems exist in Version 10. Try watching a video on YouTube for a couple of minutes, and your fans will start spinning.

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm running a long Flash video on YouTube, also have many more tabs open in Camino + Mail, iTunes, Terminal & Skype are running. The fans are not audible. My trick is not to upgrade to the latest version of Flash, I stick with whatever version Apple ships with OS X and only upgrade if it shows up on Software Updates.

8. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Every previous version of Flash has received complaints from Apple laptop users about heat, spinning fans, and using a large percentage of CPU resources.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Isnt it ironic that lots of people have problems with apples "proprietary" attitude but no one really seems to have a problem with the use of that god awful proprietary software, flash. Go figure:rolleyes:

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

What MacBook are you running? I haven't heard any reports of issues like that with any aluminum MB/MBP's

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I use NoScript with Firefox. :eek:

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

What's even more sad, is that apparently Snow Leopard comes with Flash bundled. I dunno why.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

From a lot of people, I'm sure. But it's very rare for a problem to affect 100% of all users. This person is one who has not had problems, obviously.

14. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

yea i really liked flash when it first came out but once every frikin banner became flash powered it gets annoying.

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I agree Flash uses too many resources. If I play an mpg using QT, for ex., my CPU usage goes up less than 10% whereas Flash causes an increase up to 15%, which however does not cause my machine to noticeably heat up nor does it make the fans rev up to any noticeable degree. I do recall this happening on a few occasions some time ago but cannot reproduce it now.

16. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I've just installed it on my Mac Pro and it seems OK so far.

Is this only a problem for laptops?

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

you have at least twice or four times the power of raw cpu clock on your mac pro, not to mention the throughputs and everything.
    i dont think you can stress mac pro with flash

18. aibo macrumors 6502

Your Mac Pro probably has idle processor cores on standby for Flash, or any other given ask. It's a beautiful machine. :)

19. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Never had any issues with my Mac Pro as well.

But it is true: Flash is a terrible platform, and Adobe is a not-so-hot developer of it.

Much like DirectX. Overused, bloated, and just not very good. OpenGL is the future, people!

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Flash 10.x sucks on my 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MacBook, even pushing both cores (and fans) towards 60%. And doubly sucks on my 1.33GHz 12" PBG4.

Thankfully it doesn't stress my Mac Pro in the slightest.

Basically, Flash sucks.

21. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using the same computer as you, with 4GB of RAM.

22. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I've personally downgraded my OS X machines to Flash Player 9. It's a better than 10, bur not by much.

23. Matek macrumors 6502a

Because it's very very popular? I thought it was obvious.

I'm amazed how it's possible for something to be not very good and overused at the same time. All my experience with DirectX has been relatively pleasant. Are you sure you aren't just bashing it because it's Windows-only?

24. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Its not just flash, its PDFs!

The 3Ghz P4s with 512Mb scrolling the same PDF as my MBP does it smoother!

Adobe IIRC was first developed on a mac, and then went to Windows AFAIK.

But anyway, yes, improvements are needed :rolleyes: