Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

22scorley22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Big D
I am a graphic designer and just got a 15" MBP. I have it hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display at work and I am wanting a TB3 display at home. What I really want is the new 5K LG UF, but there is no telling when that thing is going to be available? I was considering driving 200+ miles away to pick up 2 of the LG 4K UF displays, but I want to know if that will be comparable to a Thunderbolt Display? I need that "retina sharp" text/etc. Will I be happy with 2 of the LG UF 4K's if that is what I am used to?

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I am a graphic designer and just got a 15" MBP. I have it hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display at work and I am wanting a TB3 display at home. What I really want is the new 5K LG UF, but there is no telling when that thing is going to be available? I was considering driving 200+ miles away to pick up 2 of the LG 4K UF displays, but I want to know if that will be comparable to a Thunderbolt Display? I need that "retina sharp" text/etc. Will I be happy with 2 of the LG UF 4K's if that is what I am used to?

Which Thunderbolt Display are you using right now?
If it's the old one from Apple and you are happy with the display, there isn't anything to worry about.
It's a 27" with 2560*1440 resolution, so 21" 3840*2160 will be noticeably sharper.

gr2020

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
Colorado

I have one of the 4K UF's here, with my 13" MBP. It's definitely "retina sharp" - roughly twice the ppi of the Thunderbolt Display, about the same as the retina iMacs. It's the only 4K display available that I'm aware of in the 21" size range, which is what you need for this pixel density with 4K.

It feels small next to a 27" 5K display (I have a 5K iMac sitting next to it, at least for the moment) - but I've gotten used to it, and I'm not sure the extra space on the 5K is a "need" vs a "I think I want".

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
As far as I'm concerned the only two viable monitors are the ultra fine 4k and 5k.
I do not trust any other brand to scale properly or have weird sleep issues, and work seamlessly with a mac.
No one puts in the time to do this admittedly thankless task.
If you want a retina display that just works so that you can get on with your work, these two are the only game in town for better or for worse. I didn't realize that I'd need a new laptop to make this setup work: retina laptop and a large retina monitor, but it's pretty much all I ever wanted and it's here. Add in a hassle free return policy if it for some reason doesn't live up to my expectations, and I'm on board if I have the money one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.