will ios 5 make ipad 1 really slow

Discussion in 'iPad' started by utl768, Oct 4, 2011.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'd say mine is running faster. Certainly safari is drastically improved.

4. dmcwally macrumors member

it seams they did away with the checkerboarding when loading a web page and now it is just 1 color. I'm guessing that frees up a lil ram and makes safari run a lil smoother

5. kylebshr macrumors regular

shouldn't because:

It sped up my iPhone 4 (a tiny bit) and the iPad 1 has the same processor (A4) so it should be fine.

RIP Steve–the world misses you. Condolences to Laurene and the family <3

6. sers macrumors regular

I sure hope it doesn't. I'm still using my 1st generation iPad and am holding off for iPad 3. I had an iPhone 3g and ios 4 just killed it. Even with ios 4 my iPad gets sluggish sometimes. I have to kill apps and clean the memory out to bring back its perfomance.

Anyone else here have an iPad 1 and using ios 5? How's the performance so far?

7. idkmybffjon macrumors member

iOS 5 on an iPad 1: performance is solid. web browsing is noticeably smoother/faster. love it.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Doubt it. The iPod touch 4th gen has alot of indentical specs as the iPad 1. The 4th gen is very snappy to.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My iPad 1 runs really well with iOS 5. I'd definitely say that it's a slight improvement over iOS 4, fact.

As a side note, the iPad 2 runs incredibly smoothly with iOS 5, although that's to be expected when you consider how much more powerful the A5 chip is.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There Will Only Be A Difference

In apps that appear which are optimised for IOS5, Apart from that the ipad1 will be fine, and as others have pointed out here, it's actually smoother (noticed it on my friends 1) Lot's to look forward to this coming week!

12. bravo0306 macrumors newbie

upgraded to ios 5 gm on ipad 1 and it's lagging like hell...any thoughts on it?

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

If you're a registered developer, you should be asking questions like this on the Apple dev boards.

If you're not a registered developer, you shouldn't have the gm.

If you install iOS 5 after the software is released and still have problems, ask again here or get a genius bar appt. at your local Apple store.

14. Tunster macrumors 6502

I'm experiencing totally the opposite. I'd personally backup your content and do another restore. Everything has got better in every way.

15. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

Is the original iPad slow with iOS 5?

Just wondering if it would be like the iPhone 3G with iOS 4 scenario.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't think so - it has the A4 processor, same as the iPhone 4. It should handle iOS 5 just fine.

It's just missing certain multitouch gesture features... *grumble*

17. mrbrown macrumors 6502

No, but I think the increased memory footprint causes some issues with multitasking (from my own personal experience). It seems like less stuff can stay resident in the background now with iOS 5...

18. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

19. iJasonTATE macrumors member

iJasonTATE

Nope, I have the GM build (gold master) on my original iPad and I have not run into any speed issues. Although i do wish there were multitasking gestures, nothing a jailbreak can't fix! There is no photo editing due to the lack of a camera.

20. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

512mb vs 256mb

People comparing iPhone 4 to iPad because of the same processor, don't forget that the iPhone 4 has twice as much ram as the iPad 1 that probably makes a huge difference.....

21. mrbrown macrumors 6502

If you think people aren't going to prematurely download the GM of iOS 5 and ask questions about it publicly, you're in la-la land.

There's really no need for the rudeness.

22. jonxwilliams macrumors member

I popped the GM seed of iOS5 on my iPad (1) the day it was available and I have definitely noticed some sluggish aspects.

The most noticeable is Garage Band. Garage Band is almost unusable. Once you record a few sections of a song with just a few instruments it gets extremely sluggish. Trying to record stuff after that is impossible as half the time it doesn't even register your touches.

I am extremely frustrated with it right now as I had no issues making 2+ minutes songs entirely in GB before.

23. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I had a 3G when iOS4 came out, and I have iOS5 GM on my iPad 1. I can say that the iPad1 seems a little sluggish at times under iOS5, but nowhere near as bad as iOS4 was on the 3G. For the most part it's just fine, e.g. browsing and so forth are great. App switching seems a bit laggy.

Haven't tried Garage Band as the other poster mentioned, I'll give that a try later today.

24. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I have the GM on my iPad 1 and it's surprisingly quick... especially Safari.

The 256mb of ram is really the only limiting factor.

25. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Great info. I guess i'll keep my iPad 1 @ 4.3 since I just use it for music, midi, etc.