Will iPad 3 be pretty much the ultimate tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

So here's a controversial thread. I hated the original iPad. I found it too heavy, underpowered, lacked ram and the apps were just not there. Roll forward a year and the iPad 2 is much slimmer, not just a much faster CPU but two of them, the GPU was not just faster, it was up to 9 times faster, finally a decent amount of ram and plenty of apps. It was near perfect, all it lacked was the mythical Retina display.

iPad 3 is now just weeks away. Im 99% sure it has a retina display (supported by the necessary additional ram and CPU power) and that alone will make it close to perfect. I dont care whether it has an A5x or A6 chip, 8MP camera, LTE or is a little fatter.

I cant see how Apple can present a compelling enough successor so it looks like I'll be skipping every 2 or so iPads in future. That is ONLY unless they break three of their golden rules - flash support, file manager and SD/USB slots, none of which Im expecting them to offer.

How do you feel about future iPads in relation to iPad 3?

2. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

it will be yes.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

There will always be something new on the horizon. They can always innovate on the software side if new technologies are not far enough along to really innovate on the hardware side.

4. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Ofcource its the perfect tablet. Whats the alternative? Andro..? No..i dont even want to hear that word. Windows 7? Please skip that to.
    Ios ftw. For it works, and works well. No lag, incompability, problems, ect.

5. MickeyLynn macrumors newbie

6. Tones2 macrumors 65816

A "perfect" tablet right now would include 4G LTE and 128 GB (or removable micro-SD), neither of which it's probably going to have, so it'll be less than perfect. Hopefully also a cool blue tinted display instead of putrid yellow in most recent iPad 2s.

Still good though.

Tony

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Probably in the first months.
    Obviously tablets will move on within some months.

8. homeboy macrumors 6502

Move on to what? Samsung have already started running out of ideas.

The Retina Display and Quad Core or whatever will make the iPad 3 very future proof. Sure it can always get a better camera but in terms of hardware functionality there can't be many large leaps after that.

Software is where it will matter. Real Racing HD on the iPad 2 is an absolute dream and I can only imagine how gorgeous the textures will be on the iPad 3. We will be nearing Xbox graphics.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Move on to new technology. Do you think companies don't invest in R&D anymore because the iPad 3 is the best of all, and let's just copy it? Meh. :rolleyes:

10. homeboy macrumors 6502

I didn't say that it will be best for ever but it won't be one that must be replaced after a year. However Apple have some sick patents up their sleeves and they will essentially decide what's dated and what's not.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just like the iPad 2 was the ultimate (and kind of still is) and the original iPad before.

12. homeboy macrumors 6502

The iPad 2 was never the ultimate tablet given that at launch one knew that it would inevitably get a Retina Display pretty much like how first iPhone critically lacked 3G. Apple products tend to best in their 3nd and 3rd iteration.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

Totally ultimate tablet; should clear everyone's complexion, fix bad breath issues and possible even get some posters here a date ("some").

14. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

On the hardware side we have powerful machine and the trend on software innovation seems to be browser based since most apps and programs have some online element.

iCloud I think is a far bigger deal than anyone will expect and LTE is a big part of this. In the future, not only content storage but 99% of the true processing will be done on Apple's servers. The iPad itself will just act as a dumb terminal/VDU for user input and display. Ive already seem very advanced games being played on the iPad but 100% of the rendering is being done in real time on a remote server with only the controls and display on the iPad. The only limitation was the wifi speed and the highly compressed images being relayed back. Take this up a few levels and IOS will be able to process and render anything at all on the iPad thousands of times faster than any 'Personal Computer'.

I think this is what Steve Jobs meant when he talked about the post-PC world. No personal computing but just one big cloud system accessed though an iPad. So in the future, all processing will be done on iCloud which will become more and more powerful on the hardware side. On the software side IOS 6,7,8 etc will put more and more demands on iPads. Thats's when we'll all be saying gee, IOS 7 has slowed my iPad to a crawl, time to upgrade to the new one.

We'll end up with a few small ecosystems, IOS, Android, Microsoft, possibly others. All tablets will just be dumb terminals accessing their clouds.

15. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

Who would want a date after Siri learns to moan and beg?

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It still needs active pen support.

Or, even better, active pen and brush support, where every bristle leaves a mark :)

17. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Whatever happened to that e-ink hybrid screen, because that would be amazing !

18. Carouser macrumors 65816

The iPad 3 will be better than any existing tablet, that's for sure.
    It'll be better than any hypothetical product too, because it actually exists, which is better than vaporware (viz. stupid comments like: 'it still needs [whatever] to be good')

Apple won't release a successor to the iPad 3 unless it has some positive change from the iPad 3 (duh), at which point the question of whether or not it's worth buying that iteration is going to be a matter of individual needs - there's no objective measure of 'significant upgrade'.

19. superduperdom macrumors member

E-ink hybrid,3D screen,optional bezel, more memory, better wifi etc, lighter thinner longer lasting with new battery technology built into the casing.

20. GearDriven macrumors newbie

It will be the ultimate tablet for 9 months, when the rumors about the iPad 4 with quantum computing will pop up.

21. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd welcome a revolutionary electronic ink style display with best features of E-ink and Retina. Unfathomable now but imagine watching a movie on a retina resolution on e-ink screen with perfect contrast and colors. Display tech just keeps evolving so its only a matter of time. Pretty sure a future iPad will be at the forefront of this.

22. Tones2 macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

Um...Yeah right, maybe 50 years from now when everyone has 6G speed and no data caps. But by then, multi-terrabyte storage will be so cheap that it would preclude any need for a cloud.

Tony

23. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Check out OnLive to see how real this already is

24. APlotdevice, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The latter would be downright awesome. Though for it to work the touch sensor would need to be able to resolve far more than just the ten distinct points that it currently does.

25. jasper2012 macrumors newbie

Ok.There are 6 days before March 7th!
    Everything will be clear in future!
    But I think it will be pretty!:D