Will iPhone 4 also benefit from HSDPA data speeds max out at 14Mb ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YaBoiD, Oct 5, 2011.

1. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I see no reason why not. Highly doubt there are any technical restrictions preventing current users from enjoying these increased speeds. Anyone think otherwise?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, iPhone 4 customers won't see 14.4 Mb/s due to COMM chip limitations and design.

The GSM chip in the iPhone was designed up to 7.2 Mb/s down.

3. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Ahh man, I didn't know that. Hopefully they AT&T can provide an average of 5-7mb's down...

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

the 4S has 2 antennas and uses kind of like a MIMO technology, (like in your wifi router) to give a faster speed, the 4 therefore can't be retro upgraded.

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

Don't worry. iPhone 4S will never see those speeds either. AT&T just does not have proper H+ equipment anywhere and I doubt that they are going to upgrade existing H+ infrastructure now that they started deploying LTE.

6. profets macrumors 68040

Are you sure about that? I think the hspa 14.4mbps is just a regular hspa design.

The only thing I've seen with the mention of dual antenna (MIMO) use is dual carrier hspa+ that starts at 22mbps and up. I think several networks have been updated in north america (and other countries i'm sure) that can do dual carrier 42mbps.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Where did you come up w/ this?

No, the 4S has a chipset that supports HSDPA 14.4. The chip in the 4 only supports HSDPA 7.2.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

yes I was mistaken it doesn't use MIMO, but I do wonder where they get the extra point 4 from? as wikipedia says that it should just be 14Mbit/s dead :confused:

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

AT&T has HSPA+ and enhanced backhaul in place at many cell sites- most, if not all major urban and suburban areas. So yes, existing iPhone 4 owners will benefit from the upgrades, they just won't see speeds as fast as the 4S is capable of.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hahaha, that's what you get for trusting Wikipedia. If you follow data measurment you'll realize it should say 14.4 Mbps.

----------

Yeah, the 4 will max out at 7.2 Mbps....in optimal conditions.

11. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

But the iPhone 4/4S utilize HSDPA...:confused:....

12. salacious macrumors 6502a

sorry i dont have an iphone just a blackberry but am seriously considering getting the 4s, i just need to know one thing, it takes me about 4 minutes or less to download a file around 100mb, for what reason do you need to have a phone that supposedly utilizes 14mb download speeds? are there apps on the iphone that are gbs in size? or is everyone just impatient?..not to say that im not but just wanted to know app file sizes and the need for massiv download speeds.....

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4S is upgraded to using HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+. 14.4MBPS.

----------

I get 3-5mbps on my 4 in my area. That's plenty, broadband speed, on my handset. Thus one of the many reasons I'm not upgrading to 4S. But that's a personal decision.

14. cruisencode macrumors member

As a friend of mine says... "I wouldn't trust Wikipedia to give me directions to my refrigerator!"

Seriously though, Wikipedia is wrong more often than you'd think.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They got it from the spec sheet of the Qualcomm MDM6600 chipset they implemented in the iPhone 4 CDMA and now the iPhone 4S.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

That article is using 3 - 4 year old network data.
    To put it bluntly, the author is talking out his rear.

AT&T and T-Mobile have very well developed HSPA+ networks.
    Backhaul upgrades in major cities have been done for a while now.
    The out lying suburbs and rural areas are in progress.

18. Bag302 macrumors regular

Ahh.....That's good news. Thanks.

19. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Pretty sure I read, that iPhone 4 won't get the 14.4 speeds but will still benefit with 7+ speeds.

Of course, they have been promising 7+ HSPA since the release of the 3GS.

20. mobiletech macrumors member

its more of a gimmick, in order to get those speeds you need to be in areas that have a strong enough connection. However, most of these areas provide wifi funded by tv/ cable companies.

21. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

OK simplify it. If I am in an area where ATT's HSPA+ network (with enhanced backhaul) exists, what can I expect (both theoretically and actually) with a 3GS, a 4S, and a Samsung Galaxy S2?

22. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

24. Tones2 macrumors 65816

So if I have an iPhone 4 now in Chicago and I get an average download speed of only 2.0 mbps on a theoretical max of 7.2 mbps, would an iPhone 4S make my 2.2 mbps actual speed faster just because it has a theoretical max of 14.4 mbps? Or is there a bottleneck that still would limit me to 2.0 mbps?

Tony