Will iPhone 4 replace your compact digital camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatguysmells, Jun 17, 2010.

Will iPhone 4 replace your compact digital camera?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2010.
  1. Yes

162 vote(s)
  2. No

89 vote(s)
  1. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2009
    Just like the title says. Apples new iPhone 4 records video at the same fps as many new digital cameras with HD. The canon sd1400is is an example. Will your new iPhone 4 replace your compact digital camera, or even prevent you from buying a point and shoot camera all together?
  2. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2010
    Probably not, but it's hard to evaluate right now based on 10 stills + 1 sub-720p video from Apple's website. Ask me later when I get mine and have had a chance to test.
  3. drewby macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Time will tell once I can see how the camera and led flash work in real world scenarios. If it does work well like advertised, I see it replacing my point and shoot for most events, but I'll still be taking my regular camera with me on vacations, etc...
  4. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2009
    i'm tempted too but would like to see it in action in real time environment.
  5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    My P&S at the mo is the Panasonic Lumix TZ7.. the iPhone *may* replace it on most occasions, but I'll still have my DSLR on big events etc..

I'm not sure how good low light photo's/indoor will be on the iPhone 4 and what this LED flash will produce.. Obviously will be fully testing next Thursday :)
  6. DJ ReFRESH macrumors member

Jun 16, 2010
    It won't be a complete replacement but it will be nice to have when I don't have a true point-and-shoot handy. I ALWAYS have my phone on my person
  7. nlr macrumors 6502

May 27, 2010
    I would appreciate it if you could come back at a later date and answer the question as we all would want to know.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

Jun 9, 2007

This is something I always wanted to have the ability to do.

How many places do you take your digital camera? How many places do you take your phone? Your phone goes everywhere. To have the ability to have digital quality camera pictures and the ability to shoot HD videos anywhere you take your phone = awesome.
  9. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    I think for a lot of common daily pictures it will replace it, but for special events (i.e graduation, weddings, birthday parties) I will resort back to my digital camera.. Hopefully by the iphone 6 or 7 they will be able to fully replace my digital camera. I can hope right!;)
  10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Replace it? Not likely.
    But I will certainly have the iPhone (and its' camera) with me a lot more regularly than I do my digital camera. I suspect that, by default, it will become a more routinely used camera for me.
  11. beaner454 macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    Weird I was just writing about this exact idea over at Reddit.com.

Anyways I'm waiting for a final test, but my guess is that Yes it will replace my need for a Point & Shoot.

I recently had been considering selling my Digital Rebel for one of those new tiny Micro 4/3's cameras with replaceable lenses. I simply got sick of having to decide on days where nothing special was supposed to happen whether I was going to lug my DSLR around or have to rely on a crappy 3g picture.

However after reading articles like arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/sizing-up-the-iphone-4-for-shutterbugs.ars over at Ars Technica, I have a decent amount of realistic hope that the iPhone 4's camera will compe pretty close to suiting my every day needs.

Basically, Apple did exactly what I've been wishing for, they ignored what everyone else was doing as far as quantitative specs go-and just did whatever it took to have a good image in the end. I don't care if an EVO owner can claim to have 8mp, or if the Sony Ericsson phone has optical zoom. First and foremost I want the image that I'm taking to be nice, clear, and devoid of as much noise as possible. Then you can work on any other features you want.
  12. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2007
    Beach, FL
    For the most part, yes. The only time I can see myself bringing my Cybershot along is for a concert or a really nice vacation.
  13. obamtl macrumors regular

May 24, 2010
    We'd first have to see the phone in 'real life' action to determine that. Battery life is a major concern though from the last phone I intended to replace my camera. The phone might have improved battery, but I suspect taking snap shots all day will drain the battery significantly.
  14. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2009
    I'd like to know a good comparison between a regular industry standard point and shoot compact digital camera, and the iPhone 4. You raise a good point. The photo quality could be identical but the digital cameras battery might last all day (maybe 2 days?) and the iPhone you would be lucky to get half a day shooting photos. I guess nobody knows until we have one in our hands.
  15. nlr macrumors 6502

May 27, 2010
    I guess it doesn't hurt carrying a external battery charger around with you, I learnt this back when my 3GS couldn't last 24 hours on normal usage.
  16. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2008
    I have a 10mp digital slr camera and a 1080i hd camcorder

But i will have my iphone with me all the time. Unless im on holiday or something then id prob use my slr/hdcam instead of iphone.

But ill use iphone daily :)
  17. scottness macrumors 65816

Mar 18, 2009
    Room 101
    Probably... If it ends up being a decent camera.
  18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Mar 7, 2008
    It'll serve as a nice PnS! But I rarely find something that I'll prefer to capture with a pns and not my dslr..
  19. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    SW London, UK
    For everyday yes, but for Holidays and Trips I would think not as I own a DSLR.
  20. Johns12 macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2008
    The big problem with most phone cameras is the lens. Hard to get excellent quality with a small lens. Shutter speed is also an issue. For a lot of uses, I am sure it will replace a camera only because it's what you have with you.
  21. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2008
    Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
    Like others are saying, it will definitely be used for everyday candid stuff, I hope the camera is decent!
  22. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire, USA
    Considering I don't have a digital camera, yes.
  23. eatbacon macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Not that I expect or even want a phone to have this feature, but software zoom is not an acceptable substitute for optical zoom. Sure, I will use the iPhone camera a bunch since it will always be in my pocket, but in no way will it replace my compact digital camera, in the same way my compact will not replace my dslr.
  24. nomad01 macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    Same here. DSLR and a HD camcorder. Though I anticipate iPhone 4 being used more than my current iPhone.

Although I've got some great vacation shots I took with my 3GS and I also use the 3GS like a digital diary. Each pic is date stamped and has GPS info so I remember what I did each day.

iPhone 4 should make this experience even better.
  25. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire, USA
    I'm excited to see the difference in quality. I'm upgrading from a 3G so I expect to notice a huge difference.