Will iPhone 5 Have an Indicator Light?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Would you want an indicator light on the iPhone if there was an option to run it off?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Don't care either way

14 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I know that nobody knows for sure but what do you think? Apple obviously likes keeping their designs clean and a red or green blinking light would be too jarring. But what about a white light similar to the Macbook Pros light? It can be hidden behind the glass so that it's not seen (similar to the light sensor) and when you have a new message the white light will blink softly. Obviously there should be an option in settings to turn it on or off but I think this would be a HUGE hardware improvement to go along along with the new notification system expected to arrive in iOS5.

2. SooneratND macrumors regular

I've been hoping for one since the first iPhone. It would also be great if they had a separate color for e-mails, texts, and app notifications.

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't see Apple doing this. Would it be useful? Absolutely. But we all know Apple cares as much about cleanness/minimalism as they do about functionality. One step at a time ;)

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That would be a giant leap forward. It would also be nice if the revamped notifications. I came from Blackberry and it is bad enough to have to wait for 15 minutes for an email but to then miss the weak notification that you got an email is a slap in the face!

I see many complaining about this but see Apple doing nothing! Maybe the iP5 will change it!

5. SooneratND macrumors regular

I've begun to wonder if it is not minimalism that is driving the decision, so much as Apple wanting you to be interacting with your phone as much as possible. If you don't know what the mysterious buzz is, you are constantly picking up your phone and using it, reinforcing your connecting with their product.

6. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I HIGHLY doubt that Apple isn't improving their notifications just so that you will turn on your phone.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If they do they'd better make it so you can turn the damned thing off.

Too many stupid little LED running lights in my apartment at night anyway. I don't get the idea of having a light on to let you know something is off.

8. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

You seriously don't get the idea? It's not a complicated concept. You're not near your phone when it vibrates so, right now, there's no way to know if you have a new alert unless you turn it on. A little blinking light would let you know just by looking at it. No longer will you have to turn your phone on and swipe every so often to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Anyone who says they don't want this has clearly never used a phone that had one. It would be a monumental improvement to the overall experience. But b/c of uneducated responses like the quote above, I'm hoping that Apple makes it a setting so the whiners won't be able to whine.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You clearly don't get the idea that some people don't want/need flashing lights. Like Chundles I understand the idea perfectly. Like Chundles I do not want a light flashing on my phone for any reason whatsoever.

10. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

But most people do want it and THAT'S why it should be an option. Saying you "don't understand the idea" is different than "not wanting it."

BTW- even on Blackberry & Android phones that have the light, it's an option to turn it on or off.

11. cheeseblock macrumors member

I think this implementation (white light like MBP's) would be the most likely. Or perhaps have the whole ear-speaker illuminate. The LED notification thing is the only feature I envy about my sister's blackberry (but nothing else of course).

I wish apple would calm down a lil bit about their minimalism thing; it always ends up working okay, but only just okay. Example: all click-wheel iPods (and 1st gen touch), I hate how you can't change volume unless you're on the now-playing screen.

12. mizvalorie macrumors member

+1

13. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

14. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

The notification light is one of many reasons that I traded my iphone in for a blackberry last month. It's a fantastic feature, and one that you don't truly appreciate until you use it.

On my blackberry I use an app named bebuzz that controls the LED and makes it blink different colors depending on the type of notification and the current sound profile. Emails blink white, text messages blue, and so on. When I dock my phone at night it automatically switches to a "All alerts off" profile that stops the LED from blinking.

With my iPhone I found myself constantly unlocking the phone and glancing to see if I had any new messages. This was only amplified when I was expecting a message or phone call. With my blackberry I can leave it on my desk and rest assured that I haven't missed anything as long as the LED isn't blinking.

If apple were to properly integrate a notification LED it would go a long way to convincing me to switch back. Properly is key though; it definitely needs to be an option, and it needs to be controllable so that it can easily or automatically be turned off while I sleep.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I feel that you are mistaken about what MOST people want. Honestly, if I wanted a phone that did what the BB did...then why wouldn't I be wise enough to get a BB?

I don't want a light blinking on my phone, at all. I'm merely one person. But my life is full enough that I don't have this need of lights and bells to tell me something is happening.

All I ask is that before you say "most people", you truly have valid data. Maybe create a poll or something.

16. mizvalorie macrumors member

I had a blackberry..I hated it. The iPhone lights up when you receive a text message and vibrates for an email. If I need to know what it is I can simply look. If I am expecting something then I am already constantly looking at my phone.

For me, I don't need it and don't want it. I hope Apple doesn't add one, and doubt they will.

17. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I hope the iPhone never gets an indicator light and if one is added there better be a way to turn it off. The blinking light on Blackberries has turned people into a group of Pavlov's dogs. Constantly looking for a light which has them trained to jump and respond.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see Apple doing this.

19. Padraig macrumors 6502a

20. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your logic doesn't make sense. I like everything about the iPhone better than the Blackberry aside from the notification system. Just b/c I want a notification light doesn't mean that's enough to make me want to switch back! There is no question that there is a huge number of people who DO like the light and most people that don't like it are people who've never used it. There is no downside to it if there is an option to turn it off, people just like to complain.

21. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

No way will you see it while Jobs is in charge.

Remember, its not the features you want, its the features he thinks you want.

For the most part, that works.

But for a true business phone, a notification light is almost a must.

I remember Job's statement when someone asked him why we aren't able to kill background apps (even though we can).

Something like... If you have to do that, we failed.

How about a simple Profile app that lets me set my phone for work (wifi only), car (bluetooth, no wifi), home (wifi, etc).

He will never allow it because it is like admitting a flaw in his os.
    He'd rather I click 5 buttons to turn a setting on and off each time.

22. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The whole point of competition in the marketplace is to provide you with a solution that you want, from a different vendor/provider.

Judging by the popularity of iPhones, I doubt that "most people" want blinking lights on their phone.

Why should Apple design every possible feature into their product when Blackberry and Android-based phones all offer a variety of alternatives (screen size, physical keyboards, blinking lights)?

Audio clues are even better than a light, as you don't have to be looking anywhere near your phone to get "notified" something happened. You can set different sounds to different events, and apps can pop up a notification on a locked iphone screen just fine (Facebook is always popping up on mine).

I don't have to unlock the iPhone to see the message either, just press the Home button.

No one claims the iPhone is the perfect device for every single person, Apple believes it's device is the best possible combination of features/design for the biggest group of people who want/need a smartphone. And by the sales figures, they are right.

23. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This isn't necessarily true. While an indicator light is a convenience, it's most likely NOT the reason a person would choose one phone over another (me included).

24. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I added a poll to this thread to see how most people feel about this topic. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm curious to see.