Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you want an indicator light on the iPhone if there was an option to run it off?

• Yes

Votes: 46 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Judging by the popularity of iPhones, I doubt that "most people" want blinking lights on their phone.

This kind of reasoning is flawed. The original iPad was popular but did not have a front facing camera, therefore, using your logic, most people didn't want a front facing camera. Conversely, the iPad 2 is more popular than the first, therefore, it must be the front facing camera that's making it popular. Neither of those arguments are necessarily true, just as it's not necessarily true that most people don't want blinking lights on their phone.

I'm a little surprised by how polarizing an issue this is, though I tend to stay out of the iphone forums, so maybe this is the norm. What's the harm of having an LED if it can be turned off?

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I'm a little surprised by how polarizing an issue this is, though I tend to stay out of the iphone forums, so maybe this is the norm. What's the harm of having an LED if it can be turned off?

Exactly. People just believe that whatever Steve Jobs does to be perfect. I guarantee that if the iPhone 5 has an LED light, these same people will be the ones to say how much they love it and can't live without it. Just wait and see...

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
I hope the iPhone never gets an indicator light and if one is added there better be a way to turn it off. The blinking light on Blackberries has turned people into a group of Pavlov's dogs. Constantly looking for a light which has them trained to jump and respond.

Go into a Starbucks and play "tri-tone" as loud as you can on your iphone. You'll see who the real Pavlov's dogs are.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
Had a phone with such a light on (HTC Touch HD). Perhaps it was too dim (or perhaps I was! :eek:) but I never seemed to notice it. Not something I miss TBH.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Looking at my iPhone right now and I had a good idea. What is they cut out the square in the home button and just allowed it to light up when you have a new message. Would be very subtle and wouldn't have to change the design at all.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Apple wants to remove indicator lights as much as they want to remove buttons.
I don't really find them useful, you could just turn it on for a sec and check.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I keep my phone in my pocket 99% of the time so the light won't help me any. When I do pull my phone out, I don't see how pressing the home button is any harder than looking for a LED.

At the end of the day I guess I don't care one way or the other if Apple implements this. I will probably try it out, but knowing how annoying I thought my girlfriends old BB LED was, I will more than likely disable it.

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I keep my phone in my pocket 99% of the time so the light won't help me any. When I do pull my phone out, I don't see how pressing the home button is any harder than looking for a LED.

At the end of the day I guess I don't care one way or the other if Apple implements this. I will probably try it out, but knowing how annoying I thought my girlfriends old BB LED was, I will more than likely disable it.

If you have a pass code on your phone, it definitely takes more time to check to see if you have email. I would agree with you if the notifications showed you the number of unread emails on the lock screen, but as it stands now, I have to press the home button, swipe the lock, and then enter a pass code every time I want to see if I have a new email. It's a pain. I'm a lawyer and I use my iPhone for business... I get a TON of email on it.

If Apple either added an LED or added better notification information to the lock screen, I'd be happy.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
The simple fact is that you should be able to tell if you have a notification without having to turn the phone on. Right now you can't. With a notification light you can. Most people WILL use the feature and the people that don't want it can just turn it off. I hope Apple makes it happen.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Until your poll closes, you can't say that "most people do want" an indicator light.
Personally, I don't think it's that useful. Also, it'd disturb my sleep, but if Apple introduced it I wouldn't hate it--so long as I could turn it off. This is why I chose the don't care option.
However, the one thing you're not considering is the placement of such a light. Although putting it in the home button would mean that Apple wouldn't have to add a doo-dad for the indicator, I can't picture it working aesthetically. That's another thing you have to consider. If it's not going to work aesthetically, they won't add it.
But most people do want it and THAT'S why it should be an option. Saying you "don't understand the idea" is different than "not wanting it."

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Until your poll closes, you can't say that "most people do want" an indicator light.
Personally, I don't think it's that useful. Also, it'd disturb my sleep, but if Apple introduced it I wouldn't hate it--so long as I could turn it off.
However, the one thing you're not considering is the placement of such a light. Although putting it in the home button would mean that Apple wouldn't have to add a doo-dad for the indicator, I can't picture it working aesthetically. That's another thing you have to consider. If it's not going to work aesthetically, they won't add it.

If it's in the square of the home button, it wouldn't look any different than it does now. The square would just be clear instead of white.

jb007

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
I would like a white light indicator.
Used a BB in the past and appreciated that feature on the phone.

I think improved notifications is a must-have feature in near future.
Including, the option to use a light indicator would be great.
IMO

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
As long as we're discussing hardware blackberry features that we may or may not want added to the next-gen iPhone, here's one I personally would like: a magnetic holster sensor. I actually think this feature is more likely to be integrated than the LED given the introduction of the iPad 2's smart covers.

I use a slip style case with my blackberry. It can sense when it's in the case and will autolock / unlock when put in or removed from the case. While it's in the case I have it set to ring louder (assuming that it is going to be in my pocket and will be harder to hear) and to vibrate twice instead of once. The best part is that if you get a new message it can be set to open automatically when removed from the holster. Because of that I can feel the vibration for a new message, pull the phone out of the case, read the message, and return it to the case all without having to press any buttons. It's a nice little timesaver that I think the iphone could benefit from.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
As long as we're discussing hardware blackberry features that we may or may not want added to the next-gen iPhone, here's one I personally would like: a magnetic holster sensor. I actually think this feature is more likely to be integrated than the LED given the introduction of the iPad 2's smart covers.

I use a slip style case with my blackberry. It can sense when it's in the case and will autolock / unlock when put in or removed from the case. While it's in the case I have it set to ring louder (assuming that it is going to be in my pocket and will be harder to hear) and to vibrate twice instead of once. The best part is that if you get a new message it can be set to open automatically when removed from the holster. Because of that I can feel the vibration for a new message, pull the phone out of the case, read the message, and return it to the case all without having to press any buttons. It's a nice little timesaver that I think the iphone could benefit from.

If Apple were to make a slip case I can see this becoming a reality but I don't think they will. I do agree it's a nice feature if you choose to use that kind of case which I did with my Blackberry. But the iPhone is so sleek and thin that I just keep it in my pocket.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If it's in the square of the home button, it wouldn't look any different than it does now. The square would just be clear instead of white.
I could see that, but I'd prefer a nice blue light instead. White is boring...

ClaytonMcCranor

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex, England
No thanks.

If I wanted an indicator light I'd buy a BB (or a Volkswagon):D

If I wanted multiple profiles I'd buy a Nokia or one of the other 'everything for everybody' type phones.

I got an Apple because it talks to my iMac and MacBook Pro with no middleware and it does everything I want beautifully out of the box.

In my work and home life there is no Status Update, MMS, Email or SMS that needs a response within a millisecond…… If some one needs me that badly they have my mobile number…. they would call.

If the call is important I will answer it, if its a waste of my time I wont. Caller ID and designated ringtones take care of that.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
I know that nobody knows for sure but what do you think? Apple obviously likes keeping their designs clean and a red or green blinking light would be too jarring. But what about a white light similar to the Macbook Pros light? It can be hidden behind the glass so that it's not seen (similar to the light sensor) and when you have a new message the white light will blink softly. Obviously there should be an option in settings to turn it on or off but I think this would be a HUGE hardware improvement to go along along with the new notification system expected to arrive in iOS5.

haha noo

Apple is about simplicity

don't expect a camera button or indicator lights anytime soon

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Just because you think it'd work aesthetically doesn't mean Jobs or the Apple designers would think it feasible.
Anyway, is it really that difficult to get lockscreen and press the home button? If it is, you need to take a long look in the mirror about your issues with instant gratification.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Wow...A little birdie just told me that they "heard" that Apple will be putting an indicator light on the next iPhone.

ckc

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
No thanks.

If I wanted an indicator light I'd buy a BB (or a Volkswagon):D

If I wanted multiple profiles I'd buy a Nokia or one of the other 'everything for everybody' type phones.

I got an Apple because it talks to my iMac and MacBook Pro with no middleware and it does everything I want beautifully out of the box.

In my work and home life there is no Status Update, MMS, Email or SMS that needs a response within a millisecond…… If some one needs me that badly they have my mobile number…. they would call.

If the call is important I will answer it, if its a waste of my time I wont. Caller ID and designated ringtones take care of that.

That is the most intelligent logic that I have seen for many a year :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.