Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Microsoft is being very cagey. They say the truth will be revealed in the coming weeks.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Microsoft is being very cagey. They say the truth will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Wouldn't it be smarter to put it on the Windows 8 tablets they're working so hard on?

Last edited:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Why is everyone making such a huge deal about this? What features does Office have that Apple's suite (or any other current productivity app) doesn't?

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
^ oh, did not know that. but was also thinking that this couldn't help Microsoft in any way especially if they are pushing their own Windows phones. Helping Apple get more people into their iOS ecosystem, would put a damper on Microsoft's other interests, be it smartphones now, and possibly tablets some time in the near future.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Why is everyone making such a huge deal about this? What features does Office have that Apple's suite (or any other current productivity app) doesn't?

Well there are quite a lot of features for the power/business folk. iWork hasn't had a proper update in over 3 years.

Beyond that, the hope is that it'll have better compatibility. the iOS version of iWork has awful compatibility with its Desktop big brothers, and it only gets worst when you try exporting to a MS format (which is still dominant in the business/academic world).

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
^ oh, did not know that. but was also thinking that this couldn't help Microsoft in any way especially if they are pushing their own Windows phones. Helping Apple get more people into their iOS ecosystem, would put a damper on Microsoft's other interests, be it smartphones now, and possibly tablets some time in the near future.

MS has been putting Office on Mac even when they had just begun to push Windows all those decades ago. They'd be crazy to ignore a 130 million iPad users. It may even help them somewhat, since it looks like this will have a Metro style interface, its an opportunity to introduce folks to it.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
It would probably sell very well, I know a couple people that would definitely buy it the second it came out. Personally I want to see it and see what it can and can't do and then decide. If it meets my basic needs, I'll get it.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Well, if Apple wants to beat Google, maybe they can work with Microsoft on some projects to do so? I mean, Apple knows Microsoft is failing on producing decent tablet like the iPad 2, so, by working together, Apple can gain more customers who dislike iPad's incompatibility with MS Office files (although Pages, Numbers, and Keynote is able to read the files, some people just like the way MS Office works) and Microsoft can get money from making MS Office for the iPad (paid, of course.)

This could 'possibly' end Google docs. The only reason I used Google docs was to be able to share and edit files on multiple platform without having to export the files. If this MS Office app uses SkyDrive, then yea, I won't be using Google Docs anymore.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I don't think Microsoft needs to officially meet and work with Apple in order to put out a good iPad version of Office. I also don't think Apple has to bring out Microsoft at the iPad event. The "it'll be cleared up in a couple weeks" quote from Microsoft is suspicious but it'd be just as beneficial for them to launch Office when the new iPad launches because there's always a surge of App purchases.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I don't think Microsoft needs to officially meet and work with Apple in order to put out a good iPad version of Office. I also don't think Apple has to bring out Microsoft at the iPad event. .

They will have had to work together if Office works to the new higher resolution, and will be ready for launch.

I think this has a good possibility of happening.

This being on the iPad is a HUGE deal, and I expect both companies will want an event to show it off.

It works great for both companies.

Microsoft is a software company (in the PC market), so why wouldn't they want Office for tablet on the biggest tablet market?

Second.

Apple sells the iPad, why wouldn't they want the most widely used Office suite on their product?

The above is not in question.

The only thing we should be discussing is, will it be any good?

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
The only thing we should be discussing is, will it be any good?

I hope it is good and not something just put together, which I don't think would be the case, but most importantly, I hope it has a lot of functionality and is not just a watered down version of the desktop suite that lacks usability.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
not sure i can see Apple and Microsoft teaming up for something like this.

Remember how Steve wanted to crush Android? If Apple holds the same view, then while of course they'd love to have 100% market share, I'd be willing to bet they'd rather lose customers to Microsoft than Google.

As has been mentioned, M$ Office for iOS would be great for sales and marketing. Win-win for both companies.

Whether this is a "next big thing" or not, I don't think so. But who knows for sure, except Apple and M$?

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
MS has been putting Office on Mac even when they had just begun to push Windows all those decades ago. They'd be crazy to ignore a 130 million iPad users. It may even help them somewhat, since it looks like this will have a Metro style interface, its an opportunity to introduce folks to it.

agree, but just don't see them coming out on stage with Apple to launch this with the iPad3, as per OP's topic.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
It would make a lot of sense. MS can't afford to keep it's #1 profit-generating software off such a popular computing device for much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.