Will my mom need to come with me??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Burton8219, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Hey guys... as you know by now from the infamous Blackberry Bold thread, I am 17 years old and do not pay for my own phone. I'm almost certain that my mom is the primary number on the family plan that we have. To make this short my question is since my mom works 9-5 and leaves the house around 8:15 in the morning if I want to go to my local AT&T store will I be able to upgrade without her being there?? Thanks in advance guys.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

SHE NEEDS TO BE THERE. PERIOD.

Many people have asked this, but YOU CANNOT SIGN AN AT&T CONTRACT IF YOU ARE UNDER 18.

Understand? :)

3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm afraid not. at&t are bitches when it comes to ID verification. They won't even talk to my mom when the issue at hand is on our family plan under my dad's name, and vice versa.

4. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand dude, no need to flip out. I searched and couldn't find anything related to this topic. Maybe it was the phrase I typed, but couldn't find anything so made this thread. I was just asking a question. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Many people have asked this. Many people never get it (I wonder why).

Oh wait, i know why.

Anyways,

My panties aren't in a bunch btw, thanks for caring though.

6. David-fr macrumors 6502

don't worried be happy

I called AT&T cause I'm 16 and I'm an authorized holder all u need is Ssn from mom and date of birth, from
    u an photo id(( from school may be, or drivers license) make sure u are an authorized holder that could be made on line or called AT&T! good luck

7. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Most teens don't want to be embarrassed with their mom.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You still have to be older than 18. Is it really that hard to understand?

9. David-fr macrumors 6502

nanna

I called and they said it was okay

10. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that I don't want to be seen with my mother lol I'm not that insecure. It's the fact that if she needs to come with me then I will need to wait until she gets out of work at 5 so she can come with me, and I'm concerned that they will be out of black 16GB's by then

11. David-fr macrumors 6502

thats right

am totally agree

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Haha just poking. ;) at&t especially is pretty difficult with security. If you don't have anything going on Friday, you can try it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

13. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope I can lol... I dont want to wait all day to play with a new mac toy!!!

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I hate keep sounding so negative, but if you live in a decently populated city, AT&T stores will probably be sold out.

15. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

From what I have read on the at&t forums. Contact the store from where you are planning on purchasing the phone from. Talking to your store is the best way of finding out.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Or nickspohn can save you a call.

You need to be 18 to sign a new contract.

17. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

No....they won't. You realize how many AT&T stores there are? Before I even get close to my closest Apple store I can go to 17 AT&T stores instead.

There may be certain very popular AT&T stores that run out...but the majority will have them into the middle of next week at least.

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You know how many AT&T stores there are? A lot.

You know how many AT&T Authorized Reseller stores there are? Quite a few, but not as many. And those stores get about 40 phones each.

I don't think it's hard to understand, but if people are going to wait in line willing to spend $500/$600 on a phone at 6PM on a Friday night, what's going to happen when people see that it's $200/$300 and at 8AM? And believe it or not, most people will be eligible to upgrade.

19. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

From what I was told at my at store they follow STORE policy and if you are an authorized user on the account you are allowed to make changes to the account (i.e. Renewl contracts) regardless of age. But I would still call your at&t store, better to be safe than sorry. :)

20. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Fairly sure the contracts for the new iPhone is a new contract and not a renewal. It completely replaces it and requires a person over 18 to sign it.

True....Resellers don't get to request a certain number based on sales like corporate stores do...that's how they control the hoarding of the phones.

The original iPhone is already out there...many people are not going to upgrade even if they are eligible. Some people just don't find the upgrade to be worth it considering really the only major new features are 3G and GPS.

And because it's launching at 8am some people will simply skip the line unlike last time (which they were able to get off work early to join) and try to get it later in the day. And some people will skip it simply because they can't afford to take half or all of the day off. Not standing in line means there is more potential for people to put it off.

I will admit I am biased in that I hope they won't sell out simply because I can't get mine until the 12th at the earliest. I am going to a corporate store that last time I checked still had stock of original iPhones...a rarity. That probably means they'll get less 3G iPhones but that also means there should be fewer people buying them there.

And doing another search before I get to the distance to my nearest Apple store (just over 17 miles by driving) there are 14 Corporate stores, 28 stores total (including authorized resellers).

21. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

When you upgrade to the iPhone 3G you wil be signing a new contract. Its the same if you were to upgrade to another phone. As long as the person is an AUTHORIZED user they can make changes to the account if they know the required information. Like I have said in previous posts just call the store where you be purchasing the iPhone 3G and ask them. :)

22. ebrunn macrumors member

You have no idea how many phones they produced for launch and how many each store will get.

23. David-fr macrumors 6502

want 1

give us an idea

24. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Is this a joke?

I made changes in the AT&T store to my family's plan (both lines are in my dad's name) and all they needed was my line's phone number. No ID, no SSN's, nothing. I'm 16 but I look younger. I even brought my dad's upgrade phone home for him, without him being there.

So if you go to the same AT&T store as I did, you won't need your mom.

25. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I also called around to a few local AT&T stores and they all told me that I can go ahead and do it as long as i'm an authorized user and I have my ID with me. I'm 17. I also spoke with two CSR online through LiveChat on AT&T MyAccount and they also told me it would be okay as long as I have my ID.

I'm gonna be recalling the stores later today and speaking with the managers, just to make sure I'll be set.