Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Are you referring specifically to Apple cases? Because other manufacturers have confirmed 6 and 6 Plus cases are forwardly compatible. Again, I can't imagine 0.1-0.2mm differences are going to matter unless it's a paper thin or super tight snap-on case (i.e. Power Support Air Jacket).

Spigen and another manufacturer have said that legacy cases won't be forwardly compatible with the S.

I suspect all they're now doing (and have been for a while since they received the specs from Apple) is manufacturing S cases and they're now saying that they are backwardly compatible.

I'll see if I can find the releases.

My post from way back in this thread...

"

i think what they've confirmed is that their new cases will also be backwardly compatible with the 6/+, not that the existing/legacy 6/+ cases will fit the new 6S/+.

[Edit] - For example...

Here's a "current" case on their site:
  • Compatible with Apple iPhone 6 - 2014
http://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/...ne-6-case-slim-armor-cs-4-7.html#.VfatBErXerU

That's a "new" case that will fit the "old" model (which makes sense as the S models are ever so slightly larger than last year's non S), not the other way round"

Found this from Spigen:

-------------
Thank you for contacting Spigen!

Please know that all cases for the iPhone 6/6+ will not be compatible with the iPhone 6S/6S+ device.

However, all cases for the iPhone 6S/6S+ will be compatible with the iPhone 6/6+ device.

Thank you so much for your interest in Spigen.
Have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
-------------

Plus apparently Otterbox say Symmetry & Commuter will fit 6s but not Defender case.

Last edited by a moderator:

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Spigen and another manufacturer have said that legacy cases won't be forwardly compatible with the S.

I suspect all they're now doing (and have been for a while since they received the specs from Apple) is manufacturing S cases and they're now saying that they are backwardly compatible.

I'll see if I can find the releases.

Right. I get why manufacturers would say legacy cases won't work on S models. It's so people are forced into buying new cases—and they can charge a premium price for being "new."

But I find it very very hard to believe that legacy cases won't fit the "S" models when you look at the actual dimensions. Again, tight-fitting snap-on cases (and others with little room for error) could have issues, but when we're talking 0.1-0.2mm differences, I believe most legacy cases will work.

Disagree?

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I'm not 100% sure, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.......but isn't the 6s and 6s Plus just slightly thicker than the 6 and 6 Plus? I know it's not much difference, but it might be enough that since the case is tight already it might not fit quite right.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I ordered a 6S+ case. I am using that on the 6S for now. The apple 6+ case is tight on the 6+. There is no way it is going to fit the 6S+.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
At best buy, they relabeled most of their cases as 6/6s .... So most will be able to be used on the 6s.

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Shumuri, through their FB page has indicated that existing Slim/Slim Extra cases will fit. I will have to bring to Apple Store today to try.
Did you manage to test out this case on the new models?

I asked them through their support site and they said that the latest case available through their website will fit. This implies that existing cases (or old stock) are 6 only.

mkasu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Japan
Did you manage to test out this case on the new models?

I asked them through their support site and they said that the latest case available through their website will fit. This implies that existing cases (or old stock) are 6 only.

Well foremost, it implies that they don't want to make assumptions and/or they want to sell the new stock.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
At best buy, they relabeled most of their cases as 6/6s .... So most will be able to be used on the 6s.
To be fair. Many bestbuy 6 cases were too big to begin with.

The seidio bestbuy cases could fit a 6 with full body skin and still be to big.

Granny_Smith

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
NYC
Just got my 6s+ case and yes, the back packaging says compatible with 6 and 6s models.

Wbpvhtu.jpg

Gatteau

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2009
Italy
I can get a very good deal on 6 Plus leather case, will it work with a 6s Plus, or do I have to get one of the new ones?

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Just throwing in my experience. When I went into the Apple Store to pick up a saddle brown leather case for an iPhone 6S Plus, an employee mentioned the 6 Plus cases would not fit the 6S Plus. Can't vouch for this myself.

It does sound like it will vary from manufacturer to manfacturer.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I can get a very good deal on 6 Plus leather case, will it work with a 6s Plus, or do I have to get one of the new ones?

Just got a 6S apple leather case for my legacy 6 and it fits perfectly. No wiggle, no play. The leather is different; much smoother but I imagine it'll get grippier as moisture and oils set in.

Also the silicone cases are different this year. Minor cosmetic changes but noticeable change in texture. Thinking about getting one instead.

Linux2hard

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
I purchased a case from a company called Goospery from Amazon.
They advertised as

iPhone 6S and iPhone 6 as compatible.
iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6 S Plus Compatible.

I have iPhone 6 and asked them if it'll fit 6s when i would buy it, they said it will, and told me they are the same size.

If that company is legit , unlike other chinese fake sellers, I would take their word since they are professionals when it comes to selling cases.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
I just bought a Saddle Brown 6S+ case for my 6+ and as far as I can tell it fits exactly like the Midnight Blue 6+ case I got last year. Just as tight, no wiggle room at all. Since Apple is listing the new cases as compatible with both 6S and 6 it really makes no sense to me that older 6 cases would not be forward compatible with the 6S. I don't think a tenth of a millimeter is really going to make any real-world difference at all, maybe with the rare exception of some very skin-tight cases. Plus, how can any of these manufacturers say the old cases won't fit if they don't even have a 6S in-hand yet?

Reactions: ohmyggg

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Still holding out hope that the mophie juice pack air/plus for the 6 will work with the 6S. I'm going to be up a creek kinda if it does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.