Will someone hack the old expose and bring it to Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by farmermac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I believe someone figured out how to use the Leopard expose in SL a few years ago if I remember right. I wish Apple hadnt crippled expose, I kind of regret upgrading to Lion because I use Expose all day and I miss seeing minimized windows.

What are the odds that it could be brought to Lion?

Someone already brought Front row to Lion!

2. buckyballs macrumors regular

Could be wrong, but Expose (unlike Front Row) isn't an actual application, it's just a feature of the Finder/Windowing system, so it can't be brought back like Front Row could

3. oscarhalder macrumors newbie

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

In time I bet a third party program -may- be made to accommodate this request.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

App Expose [F10] will align all the windows of the app in focus just like the old Expose did. From that view you can easily Cmd-Tab to switch between apps without leaving Expose.

As for the petition, he uses comparison images of a desktop with a bunch of Finder windows in Mission Control and Snow Leopard Expose. Had he clicked on App Expose [F10] in Lion he would have gotten the exact same result with no app switching whatsoever.

6. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Yes someone please make an Expose hack for Lion - I would pay.

I just installed Lion - wish I had done more research first.
    Reminds me of my days on a PC when I downgraded from XP to Vista.
    I am thinking of reinstalling Snow Leopard

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

What I find hilarious are the people who are disliking any post badmouthing Lion.

I bet they'll dislike this post too, little do they know no one loses sleep over this haha.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You really think that anyone that downvotes a post is going to care if it bugs you or not? I kinda doubt that.

I don't downvote just because I might disagree with someone. I downvote when what people say doesn't contribute anything useful to the conversation. So yes, I'll downvote you ;)

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's actually part of the dock app, I believe.

10. WSR macrumors regular

This is 1 of a number of reasons I'm staying with Snow Leopard until Apple realizes that Lion is a downgrade in functionality.

11. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

To all the haters of Lion: Suck it up. Do any of you realize how hard it is to design an OS that everyone likes? It seems that there are only a few features (and the lack of) that haters seem to hate, so Lion itself is NOT A DOWNGRADE. It's not revolutionary but it fixes many minor issues and adds a lot of useful features to the mix. Personally I rarely use Mission Control's new Exposé and would LOVE the old one back, but in the meantime, I say we all just sit down and use the wonderful OS that Apple has gave us. Also to the guy who's doing a petition, what are the odds that the world's most valuable company would look at a petition with a mere 50,000 signatures on a website loaded with useless petitions?

12. scottsjack macrumors 68000

omg!

13. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Apple had an OS that everybody liked. It was called snow leopard

People that like lion are those who are easily entertained. In that way of thinking lion is best in show sure it looks fancy with all those little things but when it gets down to using the darn thing it's a gong show

IMO i don't like my computer making decisions for me. I didn't like how lion took over saving or replacing my spelling. I am not an elitist pro user but I do know how to use one so in my point of view. Lion is an insult to me. Using lion made me feel like a two year old and lion was the parent trying to tell me what to do and distract me into eating vegetables

I love apples out of the box thinking. It's simply that they went too far this time

And frankly i am tired of all
    Those lion lovers telling us that we are crybabies and not able to take change. We know what we want. We are people that are not taken in by flashy eye candy and glamour

Now if lion gave us the choice to disable the glam of the iOS and let us choose how the finder is laid out then lion would be usable. What apple needs to remember is that we the people are all different we all use computers differently and we don't want to be forced to conform to what apple wants us to do

That is my two cents and I am open to feedback

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that while you can remain on Snow Leopard for now, if you buy a new Mac you're on Lion or you need an app in the near future which may be Lion only.

Apple's ecosystem has never been about user choice, just look at how locked down the OS is from theming. You have very limited options in making OSX look different.

Now my recommendation is not to just complain here but also log your complaints and suggestions here:http://www.apple.com/feedback/

15. LxHunter macrumors 6502

"Now my recommendation is not to just complain here but also log your complaints and suggestions here:http://www.apple.com/feedback/"

Done thanks.
    And, my question remains - has anyone found an Expose solution for Lion?
    I want iCloud so I guess I will have no choice but to stick with Lion and "suck it up"

16. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

There is my issue. I would like to replace my white plastic iMac but cannot afford to. At this time and so when the time comes when I can and apple has refreshed the iMac line where it can no longer support SL il move back to windows

I do not believe that apple will fix lion
    Sure they may fix some bugs down the road but I thunk expose is dead. Mission control and launchpad are hear to stay and I think il get the hell out of dodge before they burn themselves to the ground

17. strubinstein macrumors member

Come down off your high horse a second so you can see how hypocritical you're being. You don't like it when everyone makes generalizations like "you all can't handle change" but you see no problem in presuming everyone who likes Lion to be "easily entertained" like they are all somehow lacking the ability to see the big picture?

Both sides of the argument are stupid as ****. Its not something you can argue about. Its a difference of opinion and there is no right or wrong.

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

They gave nothing. You paid money for it. ($30 for the download-only option, and not to mention that the purchase price of a Mac is higher BECAUSE of the licensing distribution and lack of subsidizing by third parties.)

It's a wonderful OS - until apps break. Once CS5.5's bugs are weeded out I will be upgrading, but it won't be until 10.7.3 or so...

19. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I second the motion to bring back REAL expose into Lion. I actually got my Macbook Pro with Lion and in only a matter of a couple days did I go back/UPGRADE to Snow Leopard. Lion is absolutely awful right now.

1) Apple *needs* to add an *ungroup* option in Mission Control to separate application windows when ALL windows are viewed. Anyone who does real work will probably multitask a LOT. For someone like me who uses Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Font Explorer, and the Finder, I need to view all my windows to switch back and forth QUICKLY.

This is 98% of the reason why I ditched Lion.

2) When Mission Control is activated, WHY does it pull back the wallpaper and show a huge grey border all around? It makes the interface even more cluttered. There needs to be an option to TURN OFF spaces, because when Expose is as good as it is in Snow Leopard, it functions so well that I dont need spaces. I never use spaces (NEVER have), so the thumbnails should NOT be shown. Also rendering the wallpaper to pull back and add the grey background only adds to more complicated processing. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

3) The Finder's sidebar icons. You know, the shortcuts to the desktop, documents, home folder, music, music, etc. Which ignorant graphic designer decided it would be most functional and practical to use when ALL the icons look identical with another grey colour that washes out with the grey look of the Finder? This needs fixing. I had a hard time navigating through the shortcuts. They are now officially useless as they cause more difficulty to use than anything.

4) TRIM support. We're nearing 2012. There is NO EXCUSE for apple not to implement native TRIM support for SSD drives. I know theres a 3rd Party hack, but that *should not* be the case. Apple as a company and its massive evangelical fanbase always boast how innovative Apple is. Yeah? Well then have Lion support a standard SSD drive with TRIM. Windows has had TRIM support for 2 years or more. I have noticed though, the Apple really doesnt care about standards (OpenGL, SLI, Crossfire, USB 3.0, TRIM) unless they themselves made them. Talk about arrogance.

Now, if anyone has anything to say to me saying i should shut up about bitching about Lion, read my signature and let it sink through that thick skull. Because I'm all for OS X getting better.

20. WSR macrumors regular

I personally use both Spaces and Expose in SL extensively.

I think the best way that Apple could satisfy all of us on Spaces would be to provide the option of either:
    Classic Grid Spaces: Separate from Mission Control This would work for those that want classic Spaces or want it removed from Mission Control.
    Mission Control w/ Spaces for those that like the current Lion way.

But then they would have to realize that when an app goes to Full-Screen mode it needs to stay in the same space so that there is still a desktop behind it which is needed if you have 2 monitors.

As far as Expose we just need the SL Expose routines returned to the OS and separate hotkeys to activate them.

21. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Nonsense. When Snow Leopard came out the same number of people, maybe more, were all over the forums complaining about how horrible it was and that it was the worst thing Apple ever released and blah, blah, blah. Every OS release follows the same pattern. If Apple changes any of the new features in Lion in the future that some are freaking out about now, you will have plenty of people who will freak out about that. It's just part of every OS release. When you've been around computers as long as I have, it kind of puts things into perspective.

22. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Then why do so many of us say they are upgrading back to snow leopard. There must be some reason for this lion exodus

It's one thing to complain about a new OS and a totally different thing to back track to a previous version
    Now I'm sure at every release of osx there were the die hards out there that would complain and backtrack
    But i have not seen it to this large scale before. I have done my homework and read a lot of reviews and they support this

I have had not one single complaint about any one of the versions of osx
    Until now

Remember when steve jobs publicly stated that MobileMe was not apples finest hour. Well I look forward to hearing tim cook saying that either in October or next years wwdc

23. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Yes yes exactly my point. If apple can give us the option to keep scroll bars (even though lions are horrid) they can accommodate the rest.

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

How does pulling the background back make things more cluttered? Does your screen shrink?
    Read?

25. yongren macrumors regular

I feel the same way about "my computer making decisions for me" —I abhor predictive text, auto-correct, form auto-filling, and the like. However, I don't think that Lion goes too far in this direction. The automatic spelling correction can be turned off. As for saving, this article pretty well sums up my thoughts on the matter.

For perspective—I'm sure there were computer users who thought the advent of the GUI was "insulting." And the automatic gear shift, for that matter...