Will the 9.7" iPad Pro have 4GB RAM in 2017 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Apr 29, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Do you guys think that the 2017 9.7" iPad Pro will have 4GB RAM ?

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'd like to see it happen in fall 2016.... Although then I'm not sure I'd want to buy the current iteration as a result.

Given how Apple just added colors and Touch ID to the iPad mini 3, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I think we all know it's coming in 2017.

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

What 4GB RAM ? or the next iteration of the 9.7" iPad Pro ?

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Probably both! I can't see them releasing another iPad this year. So next year I would guess the 9.7" Pro gains the bigger siblings 4gb.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's almost a certainty--especially if Apple wants to continue to use the word "Pro" to describe it.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Pretty safe bet going on the usual iPad upgrade bump. So far they haven't gone beyond 2 generations without upping the RAM. So taking it as iPad Air 2 & iPad Pro 9.7", both 2GB. The next 9.7" iPad should have 4GB.

Of course, I could be reading too much into the past cycles.

8. Leo90 macrumors 6502

It should come with 4gb ram. But if you don want to wait, just get the 12.9. Best tablet you can get

9. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

If the iPhone Pro has 4GB of RAM then yes.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually the 12.9" is not the best tablet you can get. The size is completely subjective to the use case. There are times that the 12.9" is the worst you could get and the 7.9" could be the best you could get.

11. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am wondering for how many guys has the not inclusion of 4GB RAM in the current 9.7" iPad Pro stopped them from buying it this year ? I know there are loyal fan boys who would buy every Apple Product every year but people who only upgrade their iPad 2-3 Years I was wondering how many from them have not decided to buy the current 9.7" iPad Pro for not having 4GB RAM ?

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Probably not as many as you'd think, outside of those of us here at least. The majority of the buying public don't frequent forums like these and if they're anything like the normal iPad consumers I know, they couldn't tell you if it had 2GB of RAM or a serving of blue blancmange inside.

13. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Uhm... iPad 3, iPad 4 iPad Air = 1gb ram
    iPad air 2, iPad pro, iPad pro 2 = 2gb ram?

14. d5aqoëp, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016

d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I did not upgrade from Air 2 only because of lack of RAM and USB3 connector.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Oh yeah I'm forgetting about the iPad 3, what can I say, I'm highly medicated :D
    Besides the 3 & 4 were released within months of each other, hardly a generation.

Not sure about your second set of iPads, I wasn't aware of an iPad Pro 2 yet.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Does the lack of 4 GB RAM in the 9.7 model really make a practical difference in performance as compared to the 12.9 model? Or is it just a case of perception and tech-spec envy? Any studies or reviews out there making this comparison? Because for me at least, the 2 GB in my 9.7 model is working just fine.

17. canesalato, Apr 30, 2016

canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

I was listing it as an hypothesis. :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2016 ---
    Depends on what you do...i work on 24M raw files with photoshop express. The 9.7 iPad pro sometimes crashes during the final elaboration and export. It's very frustrating because some raw edits take a relatively long time, if the apps crashes you loose all the work on that picture and have to start over. If you remember to close every other app the number of crashes goes down a little bit, but not by much. I returned a 9.7 pro just for this reason. On the 13 pro, photoshop crashed just a couple of times in months. So in my case, it makes the difference between a frustrating experience and an acceptable one.

18. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Only if you are not bothered about how the current 9.7" iPad Pro will stand and perform 2-3 years down the years. Maybe for current state and usage 2GB RAM would be enough ! How about 2-3 years down the line ?

19. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I'm enjoying 4gb so far. Having tons of pages open it seems fine on safari

2gb works on air2 but not as smooth I'm noticing

20. TrueBlou, Apr 30, 2016

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Bottom line, yes it does make a practical difference. More tabs in Safari/less refreshing, easier to work with large files and so on.

But the big question isn't if it makes a difference, it's whether it would make a difference to the person using it.

Most people I know (the non tech obsessed like myself) don't know, don't care and just use their iPads perfectly happily. Completely oblivious to the amount of RAM inside.
    They get a bit more refreshing in Safari, but with the speed it reloads, they care not a jot.

So really it boils down to your usage scenario and how much you like to push your hardware. If you're an average punter, a light/medium tablet user or someone who doesn't care if they have to wait 0.005 seconds on a web page reloading. 2GB will be fine for a few more years.

If you're like, probably most, people on this forum then your appalled at the amount of RAM and demand that the next iPad has no less than 32GB of RAM, because that's what we deserve damnit ;)

Personally I could care less. Yeah I've got the 12.9" with 4GB. But then I'm also using an iPhone 6+ (a LOT) with its paltry 1GB of RAM and don't have any complaints about it.

I think we often forget just how memory efficient iOS is. Throw in the fact that 2GB is still a relatively new addition to iOS devices and you can bet that has bee planned into the product roadmap for iOS. 2GB will be liveable with for a few years yet. Hell if some people are still managing on 512Mb (and I know a few who are) were fine for a bit yet.

Now where the hell is my coffee and morphine, I need to calm down :D
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2016 ---

I figured, but hey with my medication you never know, I could have phased out and missed a complete cycle and product announcement :D

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I had a nearly unusable iPad 3 and desperately needed an upgrade but was also disappointed in the low RAM on the 9.7. I initially went with a refurb iPad Air 2 which was great but eventually swapped it for an 9.7 Pro when all the great reviews started pouring in. I'm very happy with it but I'm not going through another iPad 3 situation.

I'm hoping this lasts until the first OLED screens are released on iPads. However, if it starts to get pokey before then I'll just upgrade early--and then again when OLED comes out. I alone will likely boost iPad sales. Lol

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's pretty funny... I was holding out replacing my iPad 2 to see what the 12.9 Pro would be. When the 12.9 Pro was announced, I was not that impressed and bought the Air 2 instead (during the Staples deal). And I was quite delighted with it. Then I heard about the 9.7 Pro. I was all set to buy the 9.7 Pro when it was announced until... I learned that it had 2 GB RAM instead of 4 and started at $100 more than the original Air 2 pricing. To me, that positioned it as a follow on to the Air 2 rather than as alternative to the 12.9 Pro. So I jumped on another Staples deal, this time for the 12.9 Pro.

So yes, the lack of 4GB on the 9.7 Pro was the reason I passed on it. As for whether or not there will be a 9.7 Pro with 4GB in the future? The answer is yes, but I highly doubt it will be in 2017.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Don't worry, I'm right there with you in the, I've bought too many iPads queue. I've had at least one of every single iPad apart from the 9.7" Pro, doubt I'll be buying that. But yeah, far too many thousands spent on iPads :D

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd also love to see an oled iPad Pro 12.9", yes please, take my money......Again Apple ;)

25. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

If you want it now then it shouldn't stop you.