Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Sorry, i used an "italianism". English is not my mother tongue. What I meant to say is that it should have been released with a more suitable iOS implementation

uh ? More suitable iOS implementation ?? what do you mean to say ? Current iOS is not suitable with regards to what ?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
uh ? More suitable iOS implementation ?? what do you mean to say ? Current iOS is not suitable with regards to what ?
The limits of iOS 9.x are well known. Multitasking is still very raw, with no drag and drop; app selection in split screen multitasking is terrible, you have one endless column of app icons to scroll. Keyboard is supported but when the tablet is vertical direct manipulation with fingers is really not optimal, however trackpads are not supported. Lightning usb adapter is only usable to import photos and a subset of supported video files. You cannot transfer data from the device to an external drive, which is very important when working with photos and crucial when working with videos. No multi user support. No file downloader, locked down music app (can't add mp3 files to it), only apps from the app store are permitted, no compilers, no torrent apps, raw photo files are merged with their respective jpeg file and there's no way to split them, or to keep one of them and delete the other. iCloud drive files cannot be moved out of their app folder. Infact iCloud is so unstable, slow, and limited in its file restoration capabilities that...never mind...

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesrick80

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
The limits of iOS 9.x are well known. Multitasking is still very raw, with no drag and drop; app selection in split screen multitasking is terrible, you have one endless column of app icons to scroll. Keyboard is supported but when the tablet is vertical direct manipulation with fingers is really not optimal, however trackpads are not supported. Lightning usb adapter is only usable to import photos and a subset of supported video files. You cannot transfer data from the device to an external drive, which is very important when working with photos and crucial when working with videos. No multi user support. No file downloader, locked down music app (can't add mp3 files to it), only apps from the app store are permitted, no torrent apps, no compilers, no torrent apps, raw photo files are merged with their respective jpeg file and there's no way to split them, or to keep one of them and delete the other. iCloud drive files cannot be moved out of their app folder. Infact iCloud is so unstable, slow, and limited in its file restoration capabilities that...never mind...

Half of things that you have said requires Apple to unlock its ecosystem which they won't ! Apple is known to have a very closed and restrictive Eco System especially when it comes to anything doing outside their Ecosystem for e.g transferring Data to a device outside their Devices ! Not happening with Apple !

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
The limits of iOS 9.x are well known. Multitasking is still very raw, with no drag and drop; app selection in split screen multitasking is terrible, you have one endless column of app icons to scroll. Keyboard is supported but when the tablet is vertical direct manipulation with fingers is really not optimal, however trackpads are not supported. Lightning usb adapter is only usable to import photos and a subset of supported video files. You cannot transfer data from the device to an external drive, which is very important when working with photos and crucial when working with videos. No multi user support. No file downloader, locked down music app (can't add mp3 files to it), only apps from the app store are permitted, no torrent apps, no compilers, no torrent apps, raw photo files are merged with their respective jpeg file and there's no way to split them, or to keep one of them and delete the other. iCloud drive files cannot be moved out of their app folder. Infact iCloud is so unstable, slow, and limited in its file restoration capabilities that...never mind...

Agree with just about all of this. If they addressed even half of them, it would be a massive increase in usability and productivity for me.

Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Half of things that you have said requires Apple to unlock its ecosystem which they won't ! Apple is known to have a very closed and restrictive Eco System especially when it comes to anything doing outside their Ecosystem for e.g transferring Data to a device outside their Devices ! Not happening with Apple !
Well..i know. However Macs can do that and, if they really want iPads to be their future flagship productivity devices, they will be almost forced to add at least some of these features. The question in my opinion is WHEN. If they are smart, we'll see something file management-related with iOS10.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I am wondering for how many guys has the not inclusion of 4GB RAM in the current 9.7" iPad Pro stopped them from buying it this year ? I know there are loyal fan boys who would buy every Apple Product every year but people who only upgrade their iPad 2-3 Years I was wondering how many from them have not decided to buy the current 9.7" iPad Pro for not having 4GB RAM ?

I am fairly happy with my Air 1 but the lack of extra RAM did play into my not upgrading. If it would have had 4GB that may have pushed me over the edge so to speak.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Does the lack of 4 GB RAM in the 9.7 model really make a practical difference in performance as compared to the 12.9 model? Or is it just a case of perception and tech-spec envy? Any studies or reviews out there making this comparison? Because for me at least, the 2 GB in my 9.7 model is working just fine.

It's an issue when cheapening out on a few dollars worth of DRAM causes crashes.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-9-7-multitasking-springboad-crash.1965652/

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Well I keep hearing this all the time that iOS is very efficient in it's memory management and atleast for coming few years iOS especially the iPad Pro 9.7" does not need extra RAM maybe the 12.9" does need it because of the bigger display so Apple feels that 9.7" iPad Pro right now is just good enough with 2GB of RAM and it does not need any extra RAM but does the computer hardware rule not specify like a law that the more the RAM the better for the smooth functioning of the device.

Reactions: sflomenb

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I don't recall any crash due to (lack of RAM) on mine. Personally I could not go to the 12.9, mainly because the TrueTone display on the 9.7 is so nice, it would be impossible to go back.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Well I keep hearing this all the time that iOS is very efficient in it's memory management and atleast for coming few years iOS especially the iPad Pro 9.7" does not need extra RAM maybe the 12.9" does need it because of the bigger display so Apple feels that 9.7" iPad Pro right now is just good enough with 2GB of RAM and it does not need any extra RAM but does the computer hardware rule not specify like a law that the more the RAM the better for the smooth functioning of the device.

Didn't you post last week in another thread that you were getting the Pro 9.7?

Are you still dragging your heels?

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Would suit me well if they spec bumped the 9.7 inch pro in October. Then again, I've clean installed my iPad 2 which has made a huge improvement, so I can wait till March next year if need be.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Didn't you post last week in another thread that you were getting the Pro 9.7?

Are you still dragging your heels?

Yeah still holding out, there was an discount offer which I missed, and so I am now still holding out !
[doublepost=1471281542][/doublepost]
Would suit me well if they spec bumped the 9.7 inch pro in October. Then again, I've clean installed my iPad 2 which has made a huge improvement, so I can wait till March next year if need be.

Nope not happening, I don't see any iPad (Atleast 9.7") getting released now in 2016 !!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

IPad 2 or Air 2? If your able to make do with an iPad 2 and 512MB of RAM, even the current 9.7 model with 2GB is a massive upgrade.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yeah still holding out, there was an discount offer which I missed, and so I am now still holding out !
[doublepost=1471281542][/doublepost]

Nope not happening, I don't see any iPad (Atleast 9.7") getting released now in 2016 !!

Oh...ok.

But if the 9.7" does get refreshed, whether in Oct 2016 or next year, I believe it will still have 2gb ram.

So if a good sale comes along again, take it.

I actually bought the Pro 9.7" when bestbuy had that recent sale of $225 off. But I returned it unopened cause I know the 12.9" is really what I want.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Oh...ok.

But if the 9.7" does get refreshed, whether in Oct 2016 or next year, I believe it will still have 2gb ram.

Why do you think the next iPad Pro 9.7" in 2017 would still have only 2GB of RAM ? I mean what makes you think that ? What logic ?

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Does the lack of 4 GB RAM in the 9.7 model really make a practical difference in performance as compared to the 12.9 model? Or is it just a case of perception and tech-spec envy? Any studies or reviews out there making this comparison? Because for me at least, the 2 GB in my 9.7 model is working just fine.

Actually no. I have the 9.7" iPad Pro with 2GB and my friend has the 12.9" iPad Pro with 4 GB and both of us had to agree that as far as performance the 12.9" is not any faster. It needs the extra ram because it is pushing a way bigger screen and faster processor. So it cancels things out. I think the next 9.7" iPad Pro will have 3 GB or maybe 4 but I am going with 3.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Why do you think the next iPad Pro 9.7" in 2017 would still have only 2GB of RAM ? I mean what makes you think that ? What logic ?

To understand why you have to look at the company.

For years now, Apple always talks about the experience of owning and using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod. They've never concentrated on specs and they likely never will.

Look at how long they stayed with 1gb RAM on their phones or how the base storage stayed at 16gb.

Putting 4gb ram in there does little for the performance.

For this reason, Apple will keep the 9.7" at 2gb for this year and next. By 2018, Apple will bump the ram up. Not before.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.