Will the A-GPS on 3G iPad only work if data plan is enabled?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by notluap, Feb 2, 2010.

1. notluap macrumors newbie

Do you think the A-GPS functionality of the 3G iPad will work even if you choose not to pay AT&T for service (since data service is prepaid)?

This could be beneficial for running GPS apps (TomTom, etc) without having to pay a monthly fee for data.

Thoughts?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That's a good question. Of course the A (assisted) part won't work. However the GPS should work. Does anyone have a iPhone 3G/3GS without service and does the GPS still work? If so it should be the same work/or not work as the 3G/3GS iPhone.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Of course it works. Try removing the sim on your phone and then open up TomTom or Navigon.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I can't fine my "SIM removal tool".:eek: If anyone has one for sale I'm will to pay up to $500.:p I'm sure the iPad will work the same then.:)

[​IMG]

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it works like the iPhone then it would work via Wi-Fi, but that really doesn't do you much good unless you have a MiFi or similar around you while navigating. GPS gets its data online rather than from a ROM database like a regular GPS unit, so w/o some kind of Internet connection GPS will not work.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While this is true of Google Maps (it needs on-line info to draw the maps), Navagon (and Tom Tom plus most GPS Apps) is a complete program (maps included in the program) and doesn't need any downloaded info. Just the GPS signal for location.

7. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

100% untrue.

GPS gets satellite info over the air from the GPS satellites, it just takes much longer than getting the info from cell towers etc. Every standalone PND device in America does it this exact same way my friend.

Remember the GPS chip is a Radio receiver.

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

My iPhone 3GS GPS works while I am in airplane mode.

9. rustyhoge macrumors newbie

10. Boblister macrumors 6502a

Are you sure. Mine doesn't seem to. There was a big discussion about this a while back when someone wanted to use a 3GS for walking and not enable the phone to save battery. So unless it's changed very recently, the only way I found to use the GPS and disable the phone signal was to remove the sim chip or enable the sim lock code and don't unlock it when you turn on.

11. kloan macrumors regular

Only stand-alone software that has full maps, as mentioned above. Google maps doesn't work without data or wifi.

12. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i'll be surprised if it does. Airplane mode means no signals coming out of your phone. Including GPS.

13. Boblister macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. GPS is receive only. But still for some unknown reason Apple decided to disable it when thy gave it airplane mode.

14. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Don't maps get cached though?

So if you know where you're going to want to use the gps, just bring up that area in the maps app while you're still online.

15. fpnc macrumors 68000

The GPS in the iPad 3G will work without a data plan. I don't have a data plan (yet) and yesterday I took my iPad out for a walk around the block and the GPS worked fine with my copy of the MotionX GPS app. Of course, once I reached the limits of the road/terrain map data that had been pre-downloaded to the iPad there was just blank space and only GPS coordinate lines showed on the map.

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

There are a few other threads that talk about this. I can't say about the technical aspects of GPS on the iPhone or iPad but I used my 3GS in Upstate New York in the middle of a snow storm where there was no cell signal and no map rendered with Google Maps but I was still able to follow the progression of our vehicle with GPS.

17. Boblister macrumors 6502a

There are a number of apps available now that will cache or let you preload maps. The idea is that you can use the GPS when out of cell coverage and still have maps with tracking via GPS available. Google maps doesn't do this and no app will do it using google maps. Google wont let you save maps, it's against their terms and conditions.

18. resonator macrumors newbie

GPS not working here

Hi, I tested a old 3G iphone with a deactivated SIM card (in iPod Touch mode) with 2 different GPS map applications - Ndrive and CoPilot Live USA. Both applications have full maps included (2 gigabytes & 1 gigabyte worth of data). I tested trying to get the GPS to work for a few hours and was not able to pick up a signal. Both applications report the GPS not being able to determine the location. I think the issue is not with the maps but somehow the regular GPS is disabled or crippled. If someone knows differently or how to get the GPS working, please post.

19. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

A navigation app with preloaded maps will work without activating 3G. The A-GPS that's on the iPad uses cell towers to get an approximate location, but the gps chip gets the exact location using satellites. Even if you don't have a navigation program, open google maps, then scroll around a few miles from your house. Then get in the car and look at the map as you drive. It will track your location as long as you are within the area you scrolled on the map. I have N-drive loaded in my iPad and it works just fine without 3G.

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Make sure location services is turned on. My iPad works fine without 3g

21. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I've gotten GPS coordinates numerous times on my iPhone with "No Service"... just drop a pin and once you have signal again, the map will fill in and you can see exactly where you were. I guess I'll never understand why there is so much confusion about how GPS works.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Can you list any of these apps?

23. fishcove Guest

I have used MotionX GPS HD to test this. It provides internet based access to Google and Bing maps, as well as its own. But it also allows its own maps to be downloaded and stored locally.

Everything worked fine:
    1/ before I ever inserted the sim card
    2/ with sim card but no data plan
    3/ with data plan activated
    4/ after data plan expired and was not renewed

24. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Was it precise (e.g if you walked from one side of your house to the other did it "see" that in real time?

Therefore (if you have downloaded the maps) can you use the GPS without any connections to the internet.?

If I download the maps on wi-fi then go outside (with no connections) and track my position will it be free?