Will the ios on tablets die?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Silver78, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

Tech is reaching a point when you can squeeze a full os on a tablet (surface).
    Ios on a tablet is going to die.
    My advice...sell those ios ipads while you still can.

Skylake is comming and you will see ios apps emulated on a full os tablet

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

iOS is better for touch than OS X. They'll probably just evolve iOS.

3. Silver78 thread starter macrumors 6502

Silver78

Yes ios will evolve but in this case i think full os will evolve to emulate ios apps. The future is what microsoft is doing with windows 10

I have been dreaming about a 12" ipad for so long but without multitasking im not going to buy and my new stand is not to buy a new ipad before it has full os.
    Allready started to sell my apple devices. Will keep the iphone 6plus and propably get the apple watch also.
    Will replace my macbook pro and the two ipads with one device ... The surface pro 3.
    Only thing keeping me from going the windows way is a full os apple tablet and a refresh of mac mini to do 4k 60hz... And both this year.
    As for the home mediaserver that was to complete my circle the mac mini 2014 does not do 4k 60hz so windows will get paid there also and i might aswell go windows with tablet and phone also when win 10 arrives

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Very unlikely. Remember, completely different hardware and methods of input.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

A full desktop-class OS already existed on tablets long before the iPad. Unsurprisingly, they didn't sell, because they sucked to use.

I see myself holding on to my iPads for some time to come because for me, they represent the best combination of portability, battery life, easy of use and functionality. I am sure the Surface Pro will be suitable for other people. That's their prerogative, not mine.

6. Silver78 thread starter macrumors 6502

Silver78

Microsoft got rid of RT and going one OS to rule them all.. Im sure its the right way to go. Even the windows 8 with both options is better than ios as it is now. Im not saying that windows 8 is a wonder and certainly not the apps in windows 8 but both touch and ordinary os in one is the way to go for now. On a 12" tablet a full OS is great

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am of the opinion that each OS on each separate device ought to have a different UI (be it vast or slight) to account for the different use cases.

I don't use my tablet docked to a keyboard on a table. I use my iPad while walking around in class (teacher running airserver in the classroom here). In this context, I appreciate the touch-friendliness of iOS, plus the plethora of native apps that are optimised for touch and direct input. This makes it so much easier to manipulate apps using my fingers (and only my fingers), rather than have to fiddle with a stylus.

Because there is only one iOS for tablets, and because iOS doesn't have cursor support, there is no confusion amongst developers over whether to design a touch-centric or desktop-oriented interface. Can you imagine the frustration if Pixelmator for iPad had been designed with a keyboard and mouse interface in mind, and people tried to edit photos with their fingers?

I don't want a 12" tablet (because that would be too big and bulky to carry around), nor do I want a full OS (and all the complexities that come with one). Stick to iOS, and focus on continuing to add more features and functionality to it to make tasks more friction-free, while staying true to the whole spirit of iOS.

That, I feel, is the right way forward. I don't believe the iPad is destined to become another PC, nor do I wish to.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Separate input = Separate UI = Separate OS.

There is no reason for apple to merge iOS and OSX. Apple is doing good work to keep iOS and OSX apart, but making them interact well for a seamless experience.

The surface is a bit of a fiasco, and one OS fits all is not a great option as Microsoft has shown.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I think that they should drop iOS from tablets. They're just glorified web browsing devices and pretty expensive for what is essentially a crippled iPhone with a bigger screen. You can't do any real work on them and they've always seemed a bit pointless to me.

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The first thing that struck me, four years ago, is that one doesn't have to be sitting at a desk to use them comfortably. A laptop on one's lap is horrible. Standing up? Ha!

They're being used for work in many professions for just this reason. Specific apps for specific jobs. Of course, everyone here is intelligent and already knew that!

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Without a keyboard and mouse you can't do real work period. Not really o/s dependent. Not saying you can't do work, but it's tough to create vast amounts of complex info without a proper setup.

12. Narcaz, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

Narcaz macrumors 6502

Apple will hopefully figure a way out of the current situation. The status quo isn't looking good. iPad sales a dropping due to various reasons (high prices, 6Plus buyers, low cost Chromebooks and people sticking to older hardware etc.). Microsoft offers this year Windows 10 with a tablet mode and full x86 support for 8'' tablets. While i don't like the UI, this is serious competition. Even a fanless design is now possible with the Broadwell Core M and will be even better with Skylake. So Apple has to change something. I think their hardware is still top notch. Ok Lightning is not that great and I'm missing native USB/HDMI support. The rest is very good. A8X performance, battery life, nice screen.

But the software experience is somehow stuck in 2011. iOS 7/8 added very little to the tablet experience. And iPad is nice for media and reading, ok for webbrowsing and email, bad for complicated workflows. The concept still works fine but it is nothing special anymore. They could go the Mac OSX road, but i hope that they improve iOS further and bring it closer to notebooks. I posted a few suggestions like (splitscreen, safari extension, touch id guest account) in the iOS 9 wishlist. Apple probable has even better ideas. If not, it bet we will see even lower sales this year.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, which is why its odd that Microsoft separate purchase.

I think the apple side, I'd be surprised to see apple moving in the direction of putting OS X on a tablet. iOS is their cash cow, there's no way they'd touch that or endanger future sales.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

To you maybe.

But the reality is that I am doing work on my iPad, without desktop OS, desktop apps, a keyboard or mouse.

As mentioned, I teach with my iPad in class. I annotate on pdfs in Notability. I PDF Office to scan, create and edit PDF documents. I record screencasts with educreations. I create documents on iWork's, using only the on-screen keyboard and the touch interface. I update my class blog using the wordpress app. All these feel more seamless on my iPad because of the app nature (it's actually faster for me to take a photo using my iPad's camera, then insert it directly into a document or blog, for instance).

The iPad also got another boost in productivity with extensions on ios8. Now, I can crop photos directly, annotate on them etc, all with extensions in the photos app. Save articles directly from Safari to Evernote or Pinboard. Create calendar events directly through Fantastical's share sheet extension. The possibilities are endless!

Outside of work, it's also my entertainment device, which I use to listen to podcasts, music, light gaming, youtube, and news reading.

This may not constitute "real work" to you, but it's work for me.

----------

And my point is - so?

It is precisely because the iPad lacked a keyboard and mouse that allowed it to evolve into the modern day tablet it is today.

Are there people clamouring for the ability to be able to do this sort of complicated work on a tablet, when they could be doing so on a laptop or a desktop PC with a 27" monitor? Not everyone sits behind a computer terminal and handles tons of data everyday.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's good that your work revolves around apps and PDFs. To be fair though, you could do all of that on your mobile phone. There are a myriad of things that I cannot do on my phone, or on an iPad. I need real computing power, an unconfined o/s and a keyboard/mouse.

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

And is there a reason why this has to be done from an iPad, rather than a laptop? If you are going to be tacking on a mouse and keyboard, the mobility afforded by a tablet form factor is wasted anyways.

17. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Sounds like you want OSX, and that will be what the 12 inch Retina Macbook will be for.

There is no reason also that they can't add tablet specific features to iOS for the iPad, to make it more of a work and business oriented machine if need be. However compromising the usability of the iPad, to force OSX onto it is a poor idea.

Some of the main problems with the iPad and work, is probably that you can't open two things side by side, and you can't properly manage files. Apple could easily fix both issues, by introducing split screen multitasking and expanding iCloud Drive to allow things like Safari Downloads and uploads, mail attachments, saving attachments from mail, etc etc.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I use a 13" touchscreen Windows laptop with an awesome mousepad. Give me that anyday over an iPad.#
    If you don't have a touchscreen then a mouse is essential for real work, arguably so even with a touchscreen but they're great for using on the go.
    I'm not disputing that people can use iPads in a work environment, but not all work environments and nobody can argue that an iPad can replace a proper computer for lots of people. They're just too basic in all respects; hardware, software and UI.

19. newellj macrumors 601

You simply haven't tried. :rolleyes:

----------

So what you meant is that you can't do your work on a tablet? That's very different from saying that no one can do real work on a ta
    Belt.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

An iPad is a larger iPhone without the phone bit. I can do a heck of a lot on my iPhone 6+ but there are several things I can't do on it and for those tasks I need a proper computer. There is certain software that can't be loaded onto an iPad for starters, a proper keyboard is needed for inputting, and a mouse is needed for spreadsheets etc. The list is endless really.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

True, and I use my ipad for work also. It's excrutating slow (not slow as in data connection, slow as in being able to perform what I need), even with a bluetooth keypad. Not everybody has the luxury of having a job where a full-fledged desktop computer is not needed. These devices can do a lot, they just are geared for comsumption, not creation.

----------

See my response above. Some of what I do involves analyzing data and creating responses. For that I use two monitors and a powerful desktop. Associates use three monitors. It all depends on what you need to do. Not everyone can get by with a tablet.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

And I like the iPad precisely for its simplicity. Not every work-related task I do requires the complexity of a full-powered PC, and there have been many occasions when I really appreciate the ease which with an iPad allows me to get a particular task done, precisely because all the complexity of file managers, apps sporting desktop UIs and multiple resizable windows are hidden by the OS. I don't have to contend with them. I need a certain task, I just tap on the app, and for that duration, the iPad literally becomes that app and allows me to better focus on the current task at hand.

For example, I can blog directly on my iPad by taking photos using the camera, then uploading them directly via the wordpress app. Sure, I would get a better result using a digital camera, but then I need to transfer them over to a laptop, import them to wordpress via the browser etc (more steps --> more complexity and more hassle), and the results from the iPad are "good enough" for what I do. Plus, the iPad's longer battery life makes it suited for longer periods of travel without needing to recharge.

Or when my pupils are taking their physical fitness test in the field, and I can key in their results directly into Google Docs. A laptop would be way too cumbersome in this aspect.

My work doesn't just revolve around pdfs, and I like the app nature of iOS because it helps me compartmentalise their features and allows for chaining of workflows.

I agree that iOS definitely still has a lot of room to grow, but I disagree that the way to go about it is by making it more "PC-like" in nature. I am sure additional features and functionality can be added while still allowing iOS to retain what makes it uniquely iOS.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I kind of agree with you as in my responses indicate. But tablets have their place and I enjoy the huge battery life and large screen on my ipad, watching tv, movies. Some apps take advantage of the larger footprint beautifully.

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I also have a macbook air and an iMac at home for the times when I need more powerful computing. And yes, even as a teacher, there are times when a 27" monitor doesn't quite seem enough. But not once have I wished that my iPad and macbook could converge, because ultimately, they do very different things, in very different ways, and I don't see how they could possibly merge without compromising on the features that I love so much about each of them.

The iPad may have been designed with consumption in mind, but that doesn't mean they can't be used for work either. Maybe not your sort of work, but apps exist that offer a ton of functionality for the iPad, and new apps are being released every day which slowly remove these pain points.

I believe that eventually, with 4gb of ram, the iPad will have the horsepower to support really powerful and productive apps. All while still running iOS in its full glory.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I agree with your comments too. The iPad is a fantastic consumption device and if anyone has room in their life for one then I'm certainly not knocking it. I just wouldn't/couldn't use one in any work capacity and nor would you.