Will the iPad Mini's resolution be enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smiller4128, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

So I'm really trying to decide on whether or not I want to preorder an iPad Mini tomorrow...I had a iPad 2 for a little while but ended up selling it when I got my Retina Display 15" MacBook Pro. Now that I have a macbook though, I miss having an Ipad for the little things like when I need to look up something on the internet real quick and dont want to pwer up the laptop and then power it down again. And also for trips and when I want to watch movies, etc. I really want the iPad Mini, but the only thing that worries me is the resolution on it. I've essentially been spoiled by my retina display mac and I'm not sure if I could go back to non-retina. However, since the ipad mini has the same screen as the ipad 2 but in a smaller screen, doesnt that mean the resolution will be better than the ipad 2? If there's not much of a hinderance, then i will gladly preorder one. Otherwise, do you think it'd be better to wait and save up the difference and just get an ipad 4?

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Well if it's price why not consider Ipad 3 cheaper than Ipad 4? Atleast it still has retina.

3. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have the same concerns. But, I am pre-ordering the Mini. If the resolution is not to my liking, I will simply return it within the 14 day window. Seems simple to me.

4. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipod touch has retina..has done for two years or more now.

Ipad mini is already out of date.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The iPad2 resolution is just fine. The iPad Mini has smaller pixels and will look better. But the best thing is to wait and go to a store and look at it in person.

6. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Retina has ruined non retina displays for me on Apple products. iPad 2's screen looks dated and really bad. That's why I think mini is already technologically behind the game with it's screen.

7. DoctorYuyi macrumors member

I think I am one of the few people who actually don't mind the fact it doesn't have retina display. The display on the iPad mini is still good, just not what it could be. To me it isn't a big deal but I can understand how people who like to design things or draw using an iPad would care.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Ever notice how new products usually don't get retina treatment until the second or third generation?

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I agree completely. The ipad2 is fine and this is better.

Bur for some it won't be good enough. Eyesight has a lot to do with it I'll bet.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I remember when retina iPad first came out I started using it before I noticed my iPad 2 looked bad. The mini should be fine.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Although I wouldn't give up my Gen 3, the gen 2's screen is just fine. It will even be better with the screen shrunken by 2".

It's worth remembering that we all stare at computer screens and TVs everyday that look like crap compared to the iPad 1, but we survive just fine.

12. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

this. totally apples strategy which pisses me off. they have so many loyal customers, just give us the retina display right away~!

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Well they need something to entice people to buy the next device. Look what happened with copy and paste.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

The iPad Mini is the first "new" product Apple has released since they started the whole retina thing. The iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro all already existed prior to there being a retina display so your point is not valid.

15. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

What strikes me as odd is that the smaller the screen size, the closer the reading distance is and hence, the greater that the resolution (density) should be ! Apple has taken the opposite approach. Beats me why Apple did that other than they can probably convince customers that a Goat is a Cow :D

----------

So help me understand. Why didn't apple make the Mini a 7" Ipod Touch ???

What strikes me as odd is that the smaller the screen size, the closer the reading distance is and hence, the greater that the resolution (density) should be ! Apple has taken the opposite approach. Beats me why Apple did that other than they can probably convince customers that a Goat is a Cow

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

All the reviews I've seen of hands on

They said the screen looks good

No complaints

So we will see

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Have you also thought about the fact that Apple needs to keep something back in order for the next upgrade to be worthy of purchasing?

I would disagree with the Mini being a "new" product. It's not really in its own category. It's still an iPad, listed under the iPad section.

18. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

i like how people talk about a product they haven't yet seen/used in person. It has the same resolution as the iPad 2, yet a smaller screen. It may not be "retina", but it should be pretty hard to notice individual pixels like on the iPad 1 or 2.

19. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I think it should be fine but I'm going to wait until the second/third revision before buying. Whenever it turns retina, it'll need the a-whatever-chip X version which is probably too big to fit in the mini.

The refurb iPad 3s are on sale so that could be an option too

20. jivemaster macrumors member

Lol that's what makes it valid. Each product releases initially without retina, then receives a retina update.

But we still have no idea what the mini screen will be like yet, until we've seen it in person.

21. Smiletime macrumors newbie

Apple should have done away with the iPod Touch and replaced it with the iPad Mini.

22. emma777 macrumors member

I think if Steve was still around, this product wouldn’t exist. (He was staunchly opposed to a device this size.) Doesn’t it feel like a prototype that should have been unveiled with the iPad 2?

23. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Apple's 1st gen devices in the past has shown that they tend to hold back features to save for the next iteration. Also history has shown that the 2nd generation of that iDevice features an external redesign.

24. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502