Will the iPhone's ios work for me ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chabani Abdelfatah, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chabani Abdelfatah macrumors newbie

Chabani Abdelfatah

I've been the owner of a note 4 for 2 years after my brother gave it to me after using it for 1 year.
    But I've been thinking about switching to an iPhone or an s8 but I hear a lot about ios's restrictions such as no torrenting and no means to download a lot of stuff from the web.
    Yes I don't buy content since I don't have any means to get money on the web, I only have cash and money so no stuff like paypal or any other means, also I can't afford a macbook or buying an iPad so the ecosystem's usefulness is non-existent for me and android is so popular in my country so will getting an iPhone restrict me from multimedia and sharing ?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No.

Does iOS have it's limitations, yes. But a broad and general answer to your question I quote above is "no".

I would suggest you pick up an older iPhone or iPod Touch and play around with the OS before you fully commit. It will allow you to learn about iOS and it's limitations without it being your primary device. In this way you can experience iOS for yourself without having to be bound by it- yet.

If it turns out it's not for you, you haven't really committed anything and you can sell the device and move along.

But if it IS something you're good with you can either sell the device and get a newer model iPhone and go from there.

I will say this. If you are used to or dependent upon a file system, then this is the first hurdle you will have to overcome. Apple hides the file system.

3. Chabani Abdelfatah thread starter macrumors newbie

Chabani Abdelfatah

Thanks for the quick response, I am dependent on using the file system a lot to get the most out of my phone as i use it a lot of time as a way to bring files to my school ( Can't bring my laptop not made for school ) and their pc's are all windows without itunes so it will be a drag for me since I can't get a macbook, I think I'll just stay with android until I can afford all the apple ecosystem, and thanks again for the useful answer.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well, there are other ways such as Google Drive and Dropbox. Box as well.

You can send files on your device to those apps and you can also open files from those apps and send them various places.

It's just not access to the iPhone's file system.

5. Chabani Abdelfatah thread starter macrumors newbie

Chabani Abdelfatah

yeah, I know those but here we don't have plans you see you can fill up whenever u want at a cost for a certain price and it expires when the time period ends even if used like 10 mb, so I need access usually a lot, anyways thanks mr you've been helping a lot , thanks again.

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

File sharing between iOS and windows is easier than Dropbox or similar services,I use an iXpand drive with lightning connector at one end,and USB in the other,all you need to do,is to install a free app on the iOS device,and plug in the drive in lightning port,transfer the files within the app,unplug drive and insert it in computers USB port just like a normal USB storage dongle. The free app also translates file formats between different systems.