Will the Verizon iPhone be unlock-hack proof if it's only CDMA?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by djuarez03, Jan 9, 2011.

1. djuarez03 macrumors regular

I'm not all that familiar with cellular technologies, but from the little I understand, it seems that a CDMA iPhone cannot be hacked for another carrier since there is no sim card involved with CDMA phones. Am I correct? I'm just curious.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It can be hacked, but using it on another carrier is much more of a hassle. That is if there is such thing as a Verizon iPhone.

3. djuarez03 thread starter macrumors regular

So, if it does come out, why would it be a hassle?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its CDMA it will obviously work only on CDMA networks and those are very few. Only Sprint and Verizon in the US and a few other countries in the world.
    And even if its unlocked the carrier would have to agree/permit you to activate and use it on their CDMA network. Not all will let you use other carriers phones.
    Example Sprint is not that good with letting verizon phones on their network.
    Metro PCS is though so good luck with that:)

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Because CDMA does not use SIM cards. If you wanted to hack it on another CDMA network, I would think you would have to change the coding for connecting to towers to something else and then contact the other carrier to activate your phone.

With GSM you just unlock and pop in the sim. You dont need to contact the carrier to get your new phone activated.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Most likely it will probably be a world-phone for Verizon. Like their BlackBerries run on CDMA but you can unlock them and use a GSM sim card.

When I had the Blackberry Storm (used it on T-Mobile) it was like that.

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Anything is possible, it just takes time and hard work, we'll see what happens.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not this time...

Has a CDMA chip and a GSM SIM slot. The iPhone will have either one, but not both due to spacing restrictions.

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

My Verizon iPhone 4.5 doesn't have a SIM slot anywhere on it so I'll say no...

10. vachargerfan macrumors regular

:confused:

11. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Yeah, mine either... Hmm

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I'm almost 100% positive that the new iPhone and iPad will a new bootrom, but who knows.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

14. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Good luck getting it on Sprint. As far as I know, unless something is sold by them, Sprint won't be letting it on their network. Unlike China, Korea, Japan, and most of Asia, there are no R/UIM cards, so one has to plead for permission to use a device on a CDMA network even if it is unlocked.