Will the Zune HD cause Apple to really revamp next gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freeman727, Aug 11, 2009.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

Wow, the Zune HD looks really impressive. I hope this will really push Apple to revamp the iPhone. I know that the 3GS is very impressive. But it's not impressive enough for me to upgrade from my 3G phone.

I hope the next iPhone will have multicore to better handle multiprocessing, HD video cam, 5MP camera, OLED VGA screen, front facing camera and longer battery life. The HD feature in the Zune HD is cool but IMHO unnecessary if Pandora can run in the background.

Just my 2 cents.

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The big difference is the Zune ain't a phone...

3. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. But it directly competes with the ipod touch which has the same features as the iphone. i hope the next ipod touch will give a glimpse of the next iphone rather than being just a copy of the current iphone.

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

Competition is good. I am glad the new Zune is getting good press. But I doubt it will influence Apple's plans as I believe they have a product lifecycle plan long since prepared keeping in mind what competitors are likely to do.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

You better be glad most people are at work right now, OP! Lol. They would be down your throat right now about this. :)

Anyway, the Zune HD isn't a phone. If anything, it will cause the Touch to be revamped. :)

Plus, does the Zune HD even play HD video? Isn't the HD for the tuner? Or something of that sorts?

6. arubinst macrumors 6502

No

7. Macjames macrumors 6502a

It only plays HD video through the dock, the screen is not HD.

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I say HD, its 720p the very low end (TVS are usually 1080p/i) and the whole point of having a HD device is that it is HD (The Screen) not its HD when plugged into a TV, a HDTV.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

720P is perfectly acceptable and even the preferred format for some broadcast programming (sports in particular).

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No.

Windows 7 will cause Apple to totally redo 10.7 though.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Yup, iPhone had better watch out if Zune HD starts appearing with a dial pad on it.....LMAO :p:p:p

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

1080p/i playback on a small portable device would be pointless.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Zune HD - MP3/Video player/HD Radio/Internet (WiFi dependent)
    iPod Touch -MP3/Video Player/Internet (WiFi dependent)
    iPhone - MP3/Video player/phone/Internet&GPS (Not WiFi dependent)

yes, I know I'm truncating the features of all the devices, but it's pretty clear which one isn't like the others. Besides, the iPod Touch isn't going to get features before the iPhone, the slope goes the other way.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Continuation:

iPhone: text and image messaging, e-mail, APP STORE.

Zune: Messaging? E-mail? Store?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

No.

Apple will revamp things, anyway, to cause people to continue the upgrade cycle and to get more market penetration. They don't care about no stinkin' zune.

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

First of all a tv that can do 1080p is not the same as 1080i. 1080i is more along the lines of a 720p. Having a 3.5" screen that does 720p, let alone 1080p, is completely worthless unless your watching the screen through a magnifying glass. Nonetheless I hope someday some company comes out with ones so you can all waste your money on it and watch your battery life suffer for barely any quality difference just so people stop complaining about wanting an HD Screen on their phone/music player.

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Unless the Zune Marketplace (a word that, last I saw the Zune HD previewed, didn't even fit on the screen :rolleyes:) somehow really takes off, this will be the defining difference and the reason the Zune HD won't, er, touch the iPod Touch. Not to say the Zune HD looks bad but Touch killer it is not.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

don't hold your breath; that's not how it's gone the last two years.

19. cenetti macrumors 6502

Microsoft has a big chance to force Apple to go out of business, just like they did in the past...

If ;

-They implement Zune UI into windows Mobile
    -Open Microsoft Retail Stores - advertise the crap out of it to the average Joe..
    -Huge advertisement, not just in states but all over the world...Just like they just invented the wheel... (apple's strategy)
    -Already they own the computer market...(especially outside of states) but guess what they don't sell Zune/Zune phone in those countries.. So those people use ipods on their windows machines... LOL --- If they fix that strategy mistake...
    -Push Microsoft surface into consumer market (before anybody else) and
    make perfect integration of xbox/zune-phone/tv/surface without cables... etc

Yeah.. I say they have a very good chance of killing Apple in a few years...
    Especially if Steve Jobs decides to retire during this time....

20. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I don't know about that...

the iPhone has phone capabilities not to mention gps.

an MP3 play can never compete in the phone market... I think it's a better question to ask if it'll force Apple to revamp the iPod.

I still say no, Apple is going to and can travel at their own pace since they are so far ahead of everyone else.

Last I heard, the Zune was a nice brown piece of poo, and I have a feeling it still is.:apple:

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or how about adding some applications?

"Come for our support center, stay because the line is an hour long!"

Advertising what? They have nothing new or innovative to offer.

"We still have 89% of the market... yeah..." *20 seconds of silence*

People will still buy iPods because they were there first and have the penetration.

Yeah, I'm buying a $10,000 table for my grandmother.

No amount of advertising in the world can make people think their problems are gone.

"Advertising, advertising, aaaadvertising... fix problems. Advertising, advertising, aaaadvertising... fix problems."

22. mrXniick macrumors member

Though 1080p is preferred over 720p, 1080i is NOT preferable over 720p.

23. cenetti macrumors 6502

Or how about adding some applications?

That's what I meant by it. Change the whole windows mobile structure, not just UI.. OPen a big app store ... and make sure people can play xbox "arcade" games in their zune/zune phones. See then if those 13-16 year olds
    would even bother buying an ipod touch...bah! most of them already own xbox..

"Come for our support center, stay because the line is an hour long!"

All they need to do is to COPY Apple. Apple's retail strategy is working. No need to change it.

Advertising what? They have nothing new or innovative to offer.

Zune/zune phone, surface technology, integration of xbox/zune/surface ...I say they have more to offer than Apple... If they manage to put them all together

People will still buy iPods because they were there first and have the penetration.

Yeah... that's what happened early 90's right:rolleyes:. People will buy what they like and what they see everyday. Ipod is in every corner/retail store in the world... Where is zune ?

Yeah, I'm buying a $10,000 table for my grandmother.

I said push it into "Consumer" market. Make it cheaper & accessible obviously..

No amount of advertising in the world can make people think their problems are gone.

"Advertising, advertising, aaaadvertising... fix problems. Advertising, advertising, aaaadvertising... fix problems."

Advertising is everything with stable & cool product line...

24. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I stopped reading after that, because the post started with incorrect information

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which doesn't exist.

Multitouch? The thing to which Apple owns most of the patents? ,

It has to happen before they can advertise it.

Again, it has to happen before they can advertise it.

BUT THEY HAVE TO ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING BEFORE THEY CAN CALL IT STABLE.