Will there be a jailbreak for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SirDarren, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SirDarren macrumors member

From what I can gather there will, but I've been out of the tech loop for a few months so I don't really know what's happening at all!

Just want to know before I sell my 3GS in favor of a 4 :)

Thanks! :D

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Why?

Many of the reasons for JB are moot given iOS4. Multitasking, themes, etc, so what is the compelling reason to JB now unless you simply enjoy tinkering?

Don't get me wrong, I realize there are still a few legit reasons, but the number are dwindling with each update. Offset that with the added complexity, and for most who JB before, there is little reason to justify the time and effort.

3. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

Non-approved apps for one [Grooveshark, etc.], SBSettings [Don't think I could go without it now], and a few more I won't go into.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Uh..no.

There are still PLENTY of reasons, some of which are correcting crap that is wrong with ios4, namely ACTUAL multitasking and folders that can hold more than just a couple apps.

Along with all of the usual reasons to Jailbreak.

Oh yeah, and the ability to tether while keeping unlimited data and not being raped by ATT.

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

...?

Time and effort?

:rolleyes:

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

What "themes" are you talking about? Thought we could only change the background wallpaper.. did apple also add notification info to the lock screen?

7. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Tethering/hotspot with MyWi, 3g Unrestrictor, Intelliscreen to customize your lock screen, Backgrounder to multitask apps that don't get updated or multitask in ways the iOS4 doesn't do, SBSettings to quickly turn things on/off, Winterboard to customize things more, get apps that weren't approved like Google voice app, or if you have cracked apps (that part is not "legit).

I mean I like what iOS4 does with mail, the multitasking, the digital zoom on the camera, faces/places in Photo, and other stuff, but I wasn't even jailbreaking most of that functionality in anyway.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm only waiting for an unlock personally, so I still find it necessary for a jailbreak

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There will probably be an unlock for the iPhone 4, but we cannot know whether any of the already-discovered exploits will work on it until it is actually released.

10. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I will get my iPhone 4 for the 24th, but wont really use it that much, just test out features and stuff, until a jailbreak is out for it

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why? Jailbreaking is nice, but being unjailbroken doesn't really prevent you doing most things with your iPhone.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

This is the most important reason.

Also I like iBlacklist. This makes sure my phone only rings for people in my contacts.

13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This is one of those things that you either get, or you don't.

It's not something that can be explained to you if you don't get it.

You may ask, "Why jailbreak?"

I ask, "Why wouldn't I jailbreak?"

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Apparently, you aren't familiar with JBing.

15. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

BiteSMS.

16. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

"WILL ANDY PICK ME?"

There aren't any fortune tellers here. We can not predict the future.

There will eventually be a jailbreak... it is inevitable

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Many reasons still to JB. Installous , many many more themes than apple can give you, i can watch TV shows on my phone which you still wont be able to do with the new one, i mean the list can still go on and on. And it isnt that much effort.
    And Apple isnt breaking any new ground with the new phone with multitasking and new video apps. They are catching up but the JB offers much more than any other phone can which includes Apple.

18. TechWhore macrumors regular

To my knowledge current jailbreak methods are largely dependent on what the baseband is....

Let's hope iP4 is jailbroken sooner then later... My primary reasons are custom SMS tones, and music controls. Apple does not yet support avrcp, which is essential to get my buttons working on my Bluetooth stereo headphones. Music controls adds that support....

Jailbreaking is great and added apps before there was even an app store. I hope it stays around forever.

19. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Another reason is HD YouTube videos over 3G instead of that crappy quality u would get.

And possibly FaceTime over 3G.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, baseband has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Baseband is only relevant to unlocking. You may be thinking about the bootrom?

21. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

SBSettings and QuickReply are some of the greatest features of the jealbreak. Not to mention tethering without having to pay an additional $20 a month.

22. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Before they announced that they were switching to the micro-sim, I was planning on keeping my 3GS, till the jailbreak was released, so I can switch the sim whenever I wanted to use MyWi. This is probably a stupid question, but has anybody heard of an adapter tray so we could go back and forth between iPhone4 & 3GS?

23. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Has anyone tried the Spirit jailbreak, on iOS4, just to see if it works or not? :D

24. Taldir macrumors newbie

Goes into a boot load loop.

25. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As we knew they would, Apple closed the Spirit exploit in iOS 4

No way Spirit will work.