Will Us 3Gs users be upgrading to iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Apr 24, 2011.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I've had my trusty 3Gs for a few years now but I'm wondering whether it's time to move on and get the iPhone 5 when it comes out. However if it isn't a major update from the iPhone 4, I might hold on until the next iPhone after that!

What are other 3Gs users planning on doing?

2. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Don't know as of yet, the whole security thing with the saved log files have raised a serious concern for me about the underlying intention behind what is for!

Personally i think the iPhone 4 design was and is a horrible mistake design wise vs my current 3GS which is ergonomically correct and spins like a top. Would like to have the more memory faster cpu and much better camera but the design of the iPhone 4 has held me back thus far and the security thing I really don't think I trust Apple as a matter of fact I do not trust Apple as they are much more proprietary than microsoft has ever been and I posses no love for Micr$oft either.

I may be switching to the droid for numerous reasons primarily the whole Apple Draconian thing and now this instance of privacy violation has me very soured over the iphone in general.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

^You seem to have contradicted your signature in your post or vice versa!

4. MasterTick macrumors 6502

You know Android collects location data right? And Google knows way more about you than Apple ever will lol.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a 3GS but like the 4 quite a bit (including its design). I hope to upgrade when the iPhone 5 comes out, whether its a speed bump or a whole new revision. I certainly won't be waiting out for the iPhone 6. I don't care about phones that much to be playing the waiting game even longer. I know I'm contradicting myself when I say this, but I would even buy an iPhone 4 right now and move on. If I don't buy an iPhone 5 right when it comes out, it wont be because I am waiting for the 6.

6. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm definitely going to be staying iPhone, whatever I decide to do! My 3Gs is more than satisfactory for my needs and to be honest it would last me probably another few years no problem. However it's the need to have the latest phone thing that is trying to persuade me to get the iPhone 5 :D

7. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Yes, of course I do. The whole lack of encryption on the iPhone is a complete joke though. Also the whole iTunes and these iOS software updates the past year have been a joke as well. Apple talks about Fragmentation of the Android O.S but to be truthful with you I have a dev license and have been on every iteration of iOS 4 since the beginning and I have not been that impressed with the so called stability and and lack of Fragmentation that Apple claims to make iOS Superior.

Now keep in mind I am a iPhone owner and yes, I love my iPhone and its simplicity of use to run my business entirely from this phone which I do. But I particularly do not care for the majority of the iPhone crowd as they are basically rude snobs and self proclaimed experts .At least the majority of them any ways.:eek:

8. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i'm spending my upgrade money on an ipad 2 and will keep using my 3gs until it dies or apple comes out with a 4" screen.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

My 3GS feels like it's taken a drastic turn for the slow and laggy with the latest iOS updates. It's time for the iPhone 5 - I'm ready.

10. sgmorr macrumors member

What's the latest word from the rumor mill as to when the 5 is coming out? And are most of you staying with ATT or moving to VZ?

11. Applejuiced, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be the deciding factor if you get an iphone 5 or whatever else?
    Who cares what others use or act like?
    Get whatever works better for you or makes you happy, with that type of attitude you're not that far off from the so called "majority iphone crowd".

12. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm debating on whether I'll update to the iPhone 5 from my 3GS or not. It's a debate that's likely to rage all summer...lol. I'm due for my upgrade in September, right around the time the 5 should be coming out (if the rumors are true...so take that FWIW).

For me, it's really going to depend on the specs on the 5. Like a lot of iPhone owners, I'd like to see a bigger screen (even marginally bigger would be nice...say 3.8-4 inches?) And since even the iPhone 4 would be a good bump speed-wise for me (again, from the 3GS), I'm sure the 5 will blow me away. My girlfriend has the 4 and I generally like the design, but really, it doesn't matter that much since I'll instantly be putting an Otterbox Commuter on it (I've had one on my 3GS since day one and the thing still looks brand new...not a scratch).

One thing that I've learned since having an iPhone is that I'd like an even better camera. My 3GS camera is invaluable to me at work and in my leisure time. I literally use it all the time. And because it's so handy, I don't even carry my point-and-shoot digital camera anymore. While the 3GS's camera works fine, I'd love to be able to take higher quality pictures with my phone.

A bump to 32 and 64 gig would be nice as well. I remember how surprised a lot of people were last summer when Apple kept the 16 and 32 gig models. But if the rumors about a better camera are true, I think more gigs is almost a must.

So...yeah...I'll wait patiently until Apple lets us know what's coming and then I'll decide if I'm going to upgrade. I don't have any experience with Android phones (actually using them, that is), and from the limited amount of time I've spend playing with them, I'm not that impressed with the touchscreen. It's been a while, though, so maybe I'd like them better now. But I'll wait to gather all info and make a decision come September.

13. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Probably

I'm very undecided (and will be until Steve or Tim disclose details of the next iPhone). On the one hand, my 3GS is working OK, but I want a few of the improvements in the iP4: camera (vastly superior), signal strength, and some technological advancements over the 3GS. On the other hand, I don't like the glass back (only way to protect it is to put on a case that really changes the form factor).

If the next iPhone has HSPA+, a faster chip, better battery life, an improved antenna design and hopefully a carbon fiber (or non-glass) back - I will upgrade to the AT&T version. I don't know my 3GS will satisfy me long enough to wait until iP6. I'm too invested in apps to consider any change to Android (which I don't like as much anyway).

14. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I'll definitely be upgrading, but I'm not committed to the iPhone 5. If the new features are minor, I'll settle for a $99 iPhone 4 or an Android phone.

15. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

3Gs owner here since July 2009. However, I have a 30-day old refurb which does act and feel new. Outside of the slowness it (and my old 3Gs) now exhibits with the latest o/s, I think I am in the same ship you are, that unless the iPhone 5 is a major upgrade from the 4, I too may wait another year. If I did not have the refurb, most likely I'd go to the 5 as soon as it comes out (my old 3Gs lost the top button and was a real pain needing a directed finger-nail to sleep it).

I am not a fan of the boxiness of the iPhone 4. I like the shape of the 3Gs better. To me it's MUCH more ergonomic. I actually hate holding an iPhone 4 and making a call with it. So here's hopeing the 5 has more of a 3G/3Gs feel to it.

Mike

16. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I used to have an iPhone 2G (yeah, long time ago!). In the rush of the moment I 'bombed' into a pool in summer and forgot I had it in my pocket :(. Since, I've had a BlackBerry, and would like to go back to the iPhone.

I actually hope the features on the iPhone 5 are minor just so I can get a good deal on the 4, which tbh is a great phone. Just like they did with the iPad 1 after the 2 came out. Prices were slashed and my parents picked up one, they don't really care much about the upgrades iPad 2 brought. You think iP4 prices will be slashed in the same fashion as they were with the iPads? Sorry if I derail the topic a bit :p

17. Arq macrumors newbie

Hey all... Long time reader, first time poster. Figured I'd finally get involved in throwing my two cents around. :p

I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5 as long as the rumors of the 8MP camera and the A5 chip are true. My wife and I (she owns a 3G) use our cameras a lot more than we anticipated with our baby and having the better camera definitely appeals to me more than anything.

I can't see myself going to an Android based phone. I like the iPhone and I'll either get the 5 or a 4 (for both of us) if I don't like what the 5 brings.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I've had a 3GS (unl0cked on T-Mo) since Jan 09 and right now I'm currently saving up for an iPad 2. Sure I've had the urge to just use those funds, plus sell my 3GS to get an iP4 but would be a wise decision to just wait a while for the iP5.

The 3GS is still speedy and does the job for me.

19. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I know for myself that since purchasing my first and only Apple product in October 2009 a iPhone 3GS I am looking forward to converting to an 27" iMac from a 6 year old Dell Dimension E510 desktop as well as upgrading my iPhone 3GS no matter how long it may take for the iPhone 5 to come out due to my experience with my iPhone 3GS being nothing but stellar telling me that whatever how long the wait it will be worth it.

I only wish that after purchasing the iPhone 5 and 27" iMac this year I can still afford an iPad2 and not have to wait till the iPad3 since currently I don't even own an iPad1.

20. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, it's definitely more ergonomic.

By the way, I think there are a few cases for iPhone 4 that make you phone have a similar shape to the 3Gs.

21. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Much prefer the look of the 4 over the 3gs. However, it's not a comfortable phone - not to mention slippy -to hold when it's taken out of the case and I still think that the glass sandwich design is a terrible idea.

22. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

To be honest, I don't think I've ever tried making a call with an iPhone 4! So I guess I'll have to take everyone's word for it! But Yes, it kind of is a stupid idea having glass on both sides! What case do you use? Bumper?

23. Padraig macrumors 6502a

I've the 3GS*, my girlfriend has the Case Mate barely there for her 4. It has saved the back of it from shattering, but there is a tiny crack right next to the home button (on the hardened front glass) now from when she dropped it.

* I've never used a case on any of my phones.

24. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i'm exactly in the same boat, but add to that a 4" screen.

i've played with a working model enough to feel the same way. it's a tad to narrow and the boxy shape just does not feel good holding it. the 3gs is an ergonomic dream.

i'm still amazed at the defenders of this design. "don't drop it!" "shut up and go by a new back for $30!".

25. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I am in the same boat as ya'll as I had 3GS from launch day. Initially I had wished I upgraded to iPhone 4 but didn't feel like I needed to. I do admit that every time I see a iPhone 4, I croak since I want it. I've waited this long and figure iPhone 5 news will come out. I will be purchasing either a white iPhone (I just like the look of it) or the new iPhone 5.

Patience sucks!