Will Verizon iPhones be harder to sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think so. all my previous iphones were sold to t-mobile users looking for jailbroken and unlocked iphones to use on their network. verizon iphones are no good to them, so you'll have a smaller pool of people to sell to.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd say yes, but not that much harder. Main reason is that Verizon phones can be blacklisted and you're taking a risk when buying a used Verizon iphone. That doesn't really happen with AT&T. Additionally, people are looking for phones to use on T-mobile. if AT&T eats T-mobile, then I'd say theyre about equal to sell (maybe a bit easier with AT&T since they are GSM and can be used in most countries)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Except AT&T does not unlock iPhones, so this is a moot point.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Possibly but I doubt by much. It will still have plenty of demand. Even when the price drops when iP5 comes there will be people who were waiting for that to buy a second hand iP4.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There are ways to use it in other countries. I'm not saying they are ideal, but some people don't mind.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I know that Verizon iPads are harder to sell... So I'm guessing it could be the same for iPhones

8. jesterscourt macrumors regular

The resell market for used CMDA iPhones is smaller, yes, but I think you could probably fetch a similar asking price. Why not check eBay for closed auctions and use that as a comparison?

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

When I was scanning eBay I noticed that AT&T ones were selling for more than Verizon. This may just be due to the fact that AT&T models have been around longer. The difference wasn't too big anyways.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well the GSM iPads are unlocked and can be used on any network while the Verizon ones aren't. I would imagine since most iPhone 4's can't be unlocked unless AT&T decides to start unlocking them they will be about the same as far as difficulty in selling them goes.

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

If I purchase a used Verizon iPhone and the ESN is clean, can the person that sold it to me call Verizon to report it lost/stolen making it a bad esn?

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I would imagine the only person who could report the phone as stolen would be the owner. If the were to cancel their contract (as anyone would before selling), they are no longer the activated owner of the phone, thus I'm not sure if Verizon would blacklist it at their request. I think you could only blacklist a device after they verify you (a) are the owner of the phone and (b) are currently on an active plan with said phone.

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

Do you think that AT&T has to unlock your iPhone before it can be used overseas? How cute :rolleyes:

14. Minhthien macrumors 6502

15. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

nope

16. Minhthien macrumors 6502

then...Yes it will be much harder to sale!

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's what jailbreaking is for.

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

It depends how you look at it. Let's say for example that you put an AT&T iPhone 4 and a Verizon iPhone 4 both on eBay. If the auction is limited to US buyers only, then I would imagine that they would sell for roughly the same (give or take). However, if the auction was available to worldwide buyers then I can almost guarantee you that the AT&T model will sell for more because pretty much every country uses GSM technology and the AT&T iPhone can be unlocked to work on those carriers.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah I know, I have an unlocked 3G, but unless something has changed from when I last looked at things there is only one baseband version is software unlockable on the iPhone 4, and the gevey sim doesn't work in iOS 5. So I still think that because of that there won't be much of a difference in the ability to sell one version over the other.

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Don't forget some people will buy an iPhone vs getting an iPod touch. Because of the camera features. And two you can use it as a phone if you do google talk or Skype.

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is true. My sister bought a used 3GS and got a really good deal for it. She exclusively uses it as an iPod touch with a better camera (she really prefers the camera and music player of IOS to her current Android phone).

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For clarification, the reason AT&T does not unlock iPhones for international travelers such as myself, is that Apple's contract will not allow AT&T to unlock them.

I've been an AT&T international business customer for over a decade. I buy at least one or two new smartphones per year from them.

Each and every new phone they have immediately unlocked for me at no charge, with the only exception being my iPhones.

I sure wish Apple would ease up. They are too serious for their own good.

23. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Not exactly I know a lot of people waiting for Verizon iPhone 4 to hit eBay and c list.

24. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, you also have to think that Verizon is the largest carrier(ATM) in the US. Also, so many ppl on Verizon have wanted an iPhone for years and haven't been willing to give up there quality of service. I have sold at least 5 different vzw ip4's and never taken less than $400 for a 16GB. Usually they are never on craigslist for more than a couple of hours. Granted I haven't sold one in a month or two.

25. darster Suspended

When the iphone 5 comes out, you will still be able to sell the verizon iphone 4 for $200. Probably not any more than that as contract price for 16gb will still likely be $199 for iphone 5. So that eliminates those with contracts that are up for renewel, and only leaves a smaller group that still have 1+ years on their contract, or those who never want to have contract that will buy iphone 4.