Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Note 9 set the standard for this year with 512GB on a phone will iPhone follow?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't need it, I went from a 128 to 64 and enabled optimize photos as that was 50 gb. I now have 26gb free still

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't see the need for so much storage, especially with so many cloud options and the ability to optimize the device. I have a 64GB iPP 10.5 and an X and still have about 25 GB free on both devices and this is with 70GB worth of photos in iCloud.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No. 512 GB would be heavily priced and I highly question if the consumer needs that_Much_ storage. That’s a half a terabyte. Even 256 GB is difficult to fill for some of the most heavy tech users.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
No. Have people never heard of Cloud storage?

I have no interest in bothering with that (and paying an endless subscription model, no matter how cheap) when I could pay once and just have local storage and be done with it, and never be dependent upon a connection. Local storage is just simpler, and then I also don't have to manage/sync/maintain the cloud either, just becomes another thing for me to manage. More hassle all around, trying to reinvent the wheel.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Not sure if Apple will offer it. Certainly another way to get some additional dollars from the sale - but who knows if it makes sense to them and the scale in which these devices are produced.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Do people really need that amount of storage? I understand the need to have local storage as opposed to cloud, but with that much I’d worry about somebody not backing up their data and then losing everything. Not to mention trying to transfer that much over a slow USB connection.

Reactions: 44267547

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I have no interest in bothering with that (and paying an endless subscription model, no matter how cheap) when I could pay once and just have local storage and be done with it, and never be dependent upon a connection. Local storage is just simpler, and then I also don't have to manage/sync/maintain the cloud either, just becomes another thing for me to manage. More hassle all around, trying to reinvent the wheel.
But you have to back up regularly and manually, whereas a few £s/$s spent on iCloud does it for you, just by putting the phone on charge.

Reactions: Five_Oh

Friarchuck

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I'm kinda mixed on this topic. On one hand, your argument about not wanting to get tied to a subscription is perfectly valid, but ultimately I don't think the economics hold up. The difference in storage tiers for a phone is usually what, 100 maybe 150 USD, and the price for 200gb cloud storage is 2.99 a month, making a yearly total of 36 dollars. At this rate you lose money if you upgrade your phone any more frequently than 3-5 years. This is fine, to some people the gain is worth the cost. The real benefit comes when you own more than one Apple device, because this space is shared and all your devices have access to it, making it so that you need the lesser storage tiers on other devices.

This can be taken even further if your family has one plan that is shared, because you can share your icloud storage with all members of your family, but separately so files don't overlap. This drives down the total storage tiers you have to buy on upgrades for everyone.

Edit: Just saw the 2tb plan is 9.99/mo. So for basically the cost of 1 storage tier upgrade a year you can have all the storage you need for everyone in your family.

Reactions: ZEEN0j and LinusR

Ravenbrook

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2015
I don’t see the point of even 256 GB on a phone. When I’ve talked to people that have that much storage it is due to either music or pictures or sometimes games. Most who need that much storage for music are out to impress people with all the illegally downloaded music on their phone. Doubtful many will have paid for that much music. If you take that many pictures, well that would be impressive and well beyond what most of us need. Then there are the gamers that need every new game and all the extras that need to be downloaded. You’ll also notice that many of the people that need this much storage for whatever reason are the ones that complain about daily battery life.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Me thinks this is possible:

64 GB - Base

256 GB = 64 GB + USD 150

512 GB = 256 GB + USD 200/250

Reactions: YaBoiD

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Most of the reasons given so far boil down to "why would I need that much?". We have seen this argument backfire before (ask Bill himself if you like). The only game changer this time around are cloud services, which make for a much better "bang-for-your-buck"-ratio.But at the same time, coverage just isn't there yet; once cloud access is as ubiquitous as internal storage access (this might sound silly, but you get the idea) there's no problem with cloud over internal. Until then I wouldn't rule out a 512GB iPhone in the (near) future.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
It makes sense for investing into such a large local storage capacity once the smartphone feature innovations plateaus off - that's when a phone you buy today will be good for the next 5-6 years without missing on any new features - like what happened to the Mac and PC market where a 5 year old PC still gets the same software features as the latest one.

Biggest advantage of local storage over cloud is there are no recurring costs, you pay once and you can keep using it as long as the hardware is good even if that means slightly higher cost upfront - it's yours and you are not going to lose any data if you decide to stop using subscription.

Right now, smartphone features are still evolving - if you had bought 128 GB iPhone 6, today you will be missing on features such as, dual cameras, AR, compatibility with new more efficient file formats and so on. So it's tempting to upgrade in a couple of years and unless you are going to fill up 64GB in that time, it's probably not worth investing into 128GB model. Same logic still holds even for the iPhone-X

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wouldn’t mind a 512GB iPhone X plus!
[doublepost=1534054217][/doublepost]
I don’t see the point of even 256 GB on a phone. When I’ve talked to people that have that much storage it is due to either music or pictures or sometimes games. Most who need that much storage for music are out to impress people with all the illegally downloaded music on their phone. Doubtful many will have paid for that much music. If you take that many pictures, well that would be impressive and well beyond what most of us need. Then there are the gamers that need every new game and all the extras that need to be downloaded. You’ll also notice that many of the people that need this much storage for whatever reason are the ones that complain about daily battery life.
I have 27GB of music on my iPhone and I paid for it all.

There were people filling up 80GB and 160GB iPod classics with their own music.

I have 19,211 pics on my iPhone but can’t store them all on there locally so I have to use iCloud storage.
[doublepost=1534054449][/doublepost]
I'm kinda mixed on this topic. On one hand, your argument about not wanting to get tied to a subscription is perfectly valid, but ultimately I don't think the economics hold up. The difference in storage tiers for a phone is usually what, 100 maybe 150 USD, and the price for 200gb cloud storage is 2.99 a month, making a yearly total of 36 dollars. At this rate you lose money if you upgrade your phone any more frequently than 3-5 years. This is fine, to some people the gain is worth the cost. The real benefit comes when you own more than one Apple device, because this space is shared and all your devices have access to it, making it so that you need the lesser storage tiers on other devices.

This can be taken even further if your family has one plan that is shared, because you can share your icloud storage with all members of your family, but separately so files don't overlap. This drives down the total storage tiers you have to buy on upgrades for everyone.

Edit: Just saw the 2tb plan is 9.99/mo. So for basically the cost of 1 storage tier upgrade a year you can have all the storage you need for everyone in your family.
I have a 200GB icloud storage plan at the moment and it costs peanuts. I use it to back up all my devices, iPhone, iPads,MacBook and use iCloud Drive on all my devices. I also use it to hold all my pics. So paying for iCloud is always worth it for me. However I still wouldn’t mind having more local storage.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Different strokes for different folks then. To me, paying the extra for the larger storage model is astronomically more expensive. In two and a half years of using iCloud I’ve never once had any sort of issue accessing what I need. Ok, so you have to do a local download for anything you might need for a flight - but that’s no different to selecting a book from a shelf. The integration is also pretty seamless so I can’t say that I’ve ever felt like it’s something I have to manage. Really comes into its own when you change phones.

Re-inventing the wheel? I find it so odd that anybody could look at an innovation that basically keeps your personal library of photos, videos, documents - whatever you like - available for recall at any moment and safe from being lost or stolen and call it that.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it’s very possible if Apple think it’s a viable option.

I had a look back at previous storage increases and the most it’s ever been is 3 years but more recently it’s been 2 years and the higher storage option usually debuts on the iPad first.

It’s been 2 years since Apple went to 256GB and 512GB is already available on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.