Will we see a Macrumors site redesign?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MartinAppleGuy, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Well?

I'm talking about iOS 7/8, and OS X Yosemite's UI by the way.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we'll see a forum redesign hopefully eventually

the front page, we're doing some smaller changes as we go, but no all-encompassing redesign is expected.

arn

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm currently creating a redesign concept of the site right now.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Good god, I'm so fed up with Apple at the moment the only reason I frequent this forum is because it's warm and inviting like grandma's kitchen. It may not be the 'new hotness', but it works, and it works well.

If we had an iOS7 "update", you'd have people yelling left and right how terrible it looks on non-retina screens, elitists telling them to upgrade from their Core Solo's, and a group of veteran PowerBook G4 users who get all hissy because the new graphics are too heavy for their ancient web browsers to cope with.

You don't really want that, do you? :p

5. MartinAppleGuy, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Here is the redesigned MacRumor's site

Here is a quick concept I made of a redesigned MacRumors taking design cue's from both iOS 7/8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Would you like MacRumors to look like this? Here is a before and after picture:

Attached Files:

6. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I like what you've done with the top nav bar, But I'm not quite sold on the color you've chosen for the gradient on the top:
    Previously the color made sense as its the same as whats used in the nav bar and through other elements in the site. I think it would look better if you made the gradient the same color you chose for the nav bar

But thats just my $ 0.02 :D

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Yeah, just noticing that now. I'm going to change it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not my cup of tea, I'm not liking it.

9. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Here (I also changed the back colour a bit to make the side bars stand out more):

Attached Files:

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

On a scale from 1-10, where 1 is not important at all, and where 10 is critically important....

MacRumors content: 10
    MacRumors look-n-feel: 2

11. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

But what about when you are on MacRumors when you are running Yosemite+? You will be asking yourself why does a website dedicated to Apple have the look and colour scheme of the old iOS and old OS X.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've never looked at websites in contrast to an operating system for aesthetics. Nor do I really have any cares one way or another. If MacRumors gets a re-design, great - minimal or overhaul. If it stays mostly the same, also great, IMO.

13. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Fair enough. Macrumors isn't all that bad in terms of look and feel when compared to the new OS X anyway. I just don't expect them to keep hold of the design for ever.

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

No, I won't. Bad assumption on your part.

15. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

That looks a lot better. I just can't help feeling something is 'missing' from the way the posts are shown :( Not sure what though :confused:

16. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Not really. I was asking you, the second sentence was aimed at people in general. What I'm getting at is macrumors will one day update their site, all I'm trying to do is guess what that would look like. Hence the concept.

----------

Thanks. Never had a lot of time to do it, so I might redo the part. I feel that the title isnt quite right on the main story, so I might redo that when I have some time.

Thanks for all of the input though :)

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

The whole site is looking dated by modern design standards but it still looks ok(ish).

If the new smilies are any guide then they might be better to leave well alone or we will end up with a 10.0 aqua theme.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

The only thing I would like to see changed, besides the re-introduction of the down vote button, is the notification email for subscribed threads. Since many of us receive these emails on our iPhones, could you please make the font a little bigger? I'm not 20 anymore, so until the 6 at 4.7" comes out, I have to pinch and zoom.

19. Th3taJ macrumors member

Th3taJ

I'm sorry, but I see almost no difference between the two looks. :eek:

Really, if the site's going to have an overhaul in anyway, it should be impactful. :)

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I like what you've done OP! Like others, I don't have a problem with the current forum layout but I like to see people furthering ideas. I would maybe fool around with the contrasting colors and font size differences between headlines and texts.

21. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your design is not viable in the sense that it removes the ad on the right-hand side. While I bet users would not mind that, the ads generate vital revenue to keep the site up.

23. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I could go to the top.

24. tankado macrumors newbie

I like this concepr very much!

25. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

No, I don't think the website should get a redesign. It looks fine the way it is, I think it should be left well enough alone.