Will we see the return of the Nano anytime soon?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amazingdm, Mar 16, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

As in a REAL ipod not a square little touchscreen.

Something with real menus... some kind of separate control pad (touchwheel or whatever)... crossfade etc

2. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Sounds like you want an iPod Classic

4. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

No I want a new version like the Nano 4 and 5

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Then I think your out of luck. I cant see Apple back tracking from the touch screen. Maybe it will turn into a mini iPod Touch. I think days of the scroll wheel have left the nano.

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Why wouldn't they back track? They did on the shuffle.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I doubt you'll ever see the nano like it once was. I know what you mean though. The nano these days are just not the same. I think they're pretty ugly too.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I don't know... A lot of people seem to share the opinion that the 5th generation nano is better, and Apple has backtracked before by putting controls back on the shuffle, and even reverting the nano back to the tall design in the 4th generation after the short, stubby 3rd gen. Depending on how the sales have been and how vocal consumers are the 7th gen may regain some of the form and function of the 5th gen.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I bet they'll make a Nano Classic. Basically a Classic with flash memory.

Or maybe they'll make an original Nano, and the 6G Nano will be the Shuffle.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would say nano

11. henryp macrumors member

henryp

I actually didn't mind the 3rd gen but IMO the 4th bests the 5th. No one I know embraced the video cam.

12. LLPE33 macrumors member

AND the Nano when they decided the Fatty wasn't a good idea...or their sales indicated that it wasn't as well received, I mean selling as much as they wanted it to. I preferred the Fatty style, but was on board when they made the screen larger and added the video camera. I was just waiting for a 32GB model when they popped out the little new Nano, for which I have no use. I'd consider getting one of those even if they p[umped it up to 32GB, but that doesn't seem in the cards.

13. CtotheP macrumors regular

I'd like to see them get out of this 8/16 GB "rut" and increase the storage size of these to 64+...

14. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

what i have said from the new nano's initial release, was that it was supposed to be the new iPod Shuffle. The thing is, production/component costs probably were too high to justify it becoming the low pricepoint shuffle.

the predict a new nano in the upcoming release and the shuffle being replaced with the current nano

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

How does that make the 4th gen better? Even if you don't use the video camera, the 5th gen had a larger screen, fm radio, and other features. How can it be inferior when it has everything the 4th gen did plus more? At least people can make the argument that the 6th gen is better because it's smaller and has the clip, but the 4th gen really doesn't have any advantage over the 5th.

16. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'll admit that the 4th gen's matte aluminum finish and colors were brighter and (IMHO) nicer overall.

That still doesn't change the fact that I have no regrets whatsoever about waiting for the 5th gen. There's just so much more functionality in the same package, and the 5th gen's appearance is not half bad either.

17. henryp macrumors member

henryp

I think the difference in screen size is really not very much. I confess I completely forgot about the FM radio and that is a nice feature. IMO as a music player, the 4th gen looks attractive to me because the absence of the video camera makes it less expensive. YMMV.

18. rienrah macrumors newbie

I still love the Fatty. If they'd come out with a nano in that body style with 32GB it would be my perfect iPod. I still use my 8GB 3rd gen every day, even though I also have a 32GB Touch.

I wonder how many people who disliked the 3rd gen nano actually owned one. I think they were actually pretty compelling once you handled them for a while. Sort of like the homely mutt that ends up being the best pet you ever had.

19. TheAppleDragon macrumors member

That's about like saying that thin little "iPod Shuffle" would never turn back into the iPod Shuffle we all know and love. In fact it got changed in its very next update.

Give it time and Apple will either make the current Nano better or make something like the older Nano, with new features of some sort. Only question is, how long will it take? :p

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I own a 5G and GF owns the 4G, IMO I think the screen size on the 5G is a significant improvement over the 4th. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for my 5th, but I'm sure it wasn't that much over the 4th..maybe £10/$10 more??

Simply put, the 5th gen nano was/is awesome!

One of the few Apple products where value overweighed price. Apple realised this and created the 6G gen:D Joking (sort of)

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple is quite interesting in selling products that people end up buying. I _bought_ the 5th gen nano to a large degree because it has a video camera and radio and plays movies. I then didn't actually use any of these to any serious degree, but that's what made me buy it. And that's why Apple put these features into the iPod. Lots of people bought the new nano because of the small size and the touchscreen. In two years time, Apple can release a bigger nano again with a huge battery and people will buy it.

If Apple didn't change products, you would buy a new iPod after many many years only when the old one breaks down. Buy changing the iPod models, Apple sells more. I wouldn't want to know the number of iPods bought as Christmas presents that wouldn't be bought if the model didn't change. At this point in time, Apple has to make iPods that existing iPod owners will buy even when they have a perfectly fine working iPod already.

22. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope they keep at least one model with a scroll wheel..

23. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I actually like the 6G ipod nano. In fact, I would run out today and buy one if it had bluetooth.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

But, the 8GB models launched at the same price and the 16GB 5th gen was CHEAPER than the previous generation.