Will you be buying a new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by o2xygen, Apr 13, 2010.

?

Buying one?

1. Ill be buying one

176 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Ill wait for the next revision

79 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure, might wait for benchmarks

46 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. o2xygen macrumors regular

I know I wont, I was hoping to upgrade my old aluminium Macbook with the latest revision. I was expecting to see a quad core, and something like a 5670 but Im kind of disappointed by it that Im now probably going to go for a i5/7 iMac instead.

Will you be buying one? or waiting till next revision?

2. MorganK macrumors regular

Yes, I will be once the back to school special comes out. My old MBP is 4yrs old and has gotten a bit beat up, so it is time--regardless of the new model or not!

3. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Yes I will.

I waited because at first I was going to get the 2.8ghz 15" model.
    Now I can get my 15" 2.66ghz i7 for my music production. Well worth the wait.

Some people are being way to picky. The rule still applies if you DON'T need/want it don't get it. :cool:

4. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Nope. I need a matte screen and I refuse to pay $150 dollars for that option. Yes I understand that price includes a higher res screen but I don't want or need that. Standard screen in matte should be available.

I also find the cpu and gpu changes underwhelming. Had the base prices stayed the same and matte still been available as a $50 option I would have bought one today.

5. twilightrose macrumors member

Agreed to that. The CPU upgrade is fine on the higher end models, 13" C2D with the 320m is better than i3 with intel graphics, but on the highend models, the 330m is unacceptable. Thats hardware thats a generation old, and being used in a 'pro' labled laptop in 2010? Seriously pathetic. I'll probobly get a cheap laptop and wait out the next refresh cycle to see if they switch to ATi, if not, I'll probobly giveup the whole waiting game on Apples way overpriced poor decisions . 1800+ is not worth OS X+an alluminum unibody design anymore, and it hurts me to say that :( I'v enjoyed apple computers since the G3 days

6. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Nope, I got a new 13" 2.53 a couple weeks ago for 1200. I might have traded it in if they blew me away with a new 13" model. I'll keep this one for a year when I'll be a regular poster on the waiting for sandy bridge thread. I may also jump back to windows if a pc company decides to make a quality built laptop. Apple is getting more uppity by the day.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No. I got sick of waiting to see what Apple would disappoint me with next, and spent $450 on a <1" thin Dell (refurbished Vostro V13 if you care), which I am extraordinarily pleased with. It's a phenomenal bang for your buck.

8. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Email Jobs?

9. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Actually I did. And I got a response saying that the matte option cost $50 but it is only available on the high res screen which is $100 for a total of $150. It's kind of a silly response since you can't buy the matte option separately. You are still forced to pay $150 if you want a matte screen. That makes the entry level 15" cost $1950. Too much in my eyes.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I bought a 15" one month ago and that's all I need and I'm very happy with it.

11. Pivot macrumors newbie

I've been holding out for a 13" mbp since nov/dec last year as my first foray into OSX territory. Unfortunately the 13" revisions really do seem to underwhelm. It just feels like I'm being ripped off buying a C2D laptop for $1500 aud.

Still, I need a laptop now, and I'd rather not test my luck waiting for for the next MBP revision. I was holding out for the Asus ul30JT but that doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight. So I guess I'll hold out for some benchmarks on the 13" base model. If they can really sustain 10 hours of use I'll likely justify the purchase to myself.

12. cjmal macrumors 6502

I was already planning on buying the 13". Kind of disappointed that the processor was not updated, but ive really got to replace my 2006 Macbook.

13. dav521 macrumors newbie

Me too. Is that the deal with the free iPod ?

14. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Great Poll

This poll must have been made by Fox News. Where is the NO option?

15. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Waiting for the antiglare review/waiting to see it in person (15")

16. PAC88 macrumors 6502

hahaha.. that's funny
    seriously though, it's more like a msnbc or cnn poll

17. ok2uselane macrumors newbie

Although, I'll be buying one in a month or so, I am very disappointed that the GPU is limited to only 512MB. Come on Apple, 1GB is the new standard!
    :mad:

18. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Originally Posted by hamlinspahn
    This poll must have been made by Fox News. Where is the NO option?

Ha ha you struck a nerve! Is PAC88 Bill O'Reilly? :eek:

Staying on point of thread I orderd then cancelled. I don't think I'll be giving my money to the m:apple:n for a 13" after all. I'll probably pick up a z I want a 13" that screams.

19. Streethawk macrumors 6502

I'll wait, i want to see the high res screen on the 15".

20. Kpjoslee macrumors regular

Kpjoslee

It is disappointing that quad-core is not included in BTO option, as there are definitely some people who will sacrifice some battery life for extra cores, and GPU upgrade was very underwhelming..360M option could have been nice.

21. CplBadboy macrumors 6502

+1 Sir. Biiiiiiigggggg let down with the mickey mouse GPU. No quad i7 option. Macbook 'Pro'. Yeah right! Get the feeling Apple just couldnt be arsed with this update. No excuse really, if HP can offer the Envy then Apple should be able to keep up. iMac it is.

22. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Pretty much everyone I know who was waiting (I know its a small sample relatively) has been let down by this. I was going to happily part with a big chunk of cash today for a new MBP and now I will not. I know there are enough "at any cost" kind of people out there to offset those like me and Apple won't care or take notice but it is truly disappointing.

The thing is I really don't see anything out there from anyone else I want to spend on either. If Apple had made a decent upgrade and not tried to squeeze more money out of us by charging $150 more to get a matte screen then I would be happy as a clam and they would have my money. Now I find myself not even wanting to bother buying a new laptop at all. Ugh.

23. Azrael169 macrumors newbie

bought one the night it came out (1am in the morning here in aus). Got the high spec 15" with 8gb ram, high res anti glare and 7200rpm hdd.... Wish the GPU was better but i'll get what i can take :)

24. Kawininja619 macrumors member

Nah I'm gonna hold off till they revise it. My late 2008 is serving me just fine(aside from flickering). I dont use my "5 hour aka 3 hour" battery enough to upgrade for a 10 hour. I really only use mine for WoW and listening to music. I really hope these new ones are cooler and quieter.

25. zodqyv macrumors regular