Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be buying AirPower?

• Yes, no matter what

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • No, no matter what

Votes: 90 33.6%
  • Maybe, depending on price only (features not too important)

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • Maybe, depending on features only (price not too important)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maybe, depending on features and price

Votes: 92 34.3%

• Total voters

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
If it's big $$$, then I hope it fails, as the HomePod reportedly has.

All about sending a message that overpricing in a much more competitive market isn't right by your consumers.

Airpower isn't practical in the sense it can't be tilted up. Many people are going to be (slow) charging their Apple products overnight, & used next to their bed, so an inclined wireless charge stand that allows your phone to still be used as an alarm clock - easily viewable whilst lying down, is an ideal setup.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple is delaying the release so that people have time to save up enough money for the ridiculously high price it will be.

I would say your logic is completely far-fetched. Apple does NOT even market the Airpower, so how can consumers save for something they are not even aware of to begin with? The only individuals that are even aware of the AirPower are likely the ones that follow Apple very closely based off a tech site or maybe visiting the Apple website which has a small advertisement stating the AirPower to be released in 2018. The majority of consumers have no idea the AirPower was likely even announced, unless they watched the Keynote.

And it doesn’t make a difference if Apple does charge $200, you’re going to find a very niche demographic that will pay for this if they can find the uses with the products that will take advantage of the AirPower with the iPhone X/8, series 3 Apple Watch and wireless AirPods battery case.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
The thing is no matter how many people say it's overpriced, it's this, it's that, at the end of the day a large number of those people come around and buy the product because there's always that understanding subconsciously that you're getting a well designed, well functioning, high quality product and that's where the value and justification come from.

I feel like a lot of the people saying they won't buy this are the same people who upgrade iPhones/iPads/MBPs on an annual or biannual basis, or buy 4-5 leather iPhone cases from Apple. Figure there aren't THAT many people on this site typing their reply on a MBP from the last decade...

To each their own. Yes it's expensive, but it's going to have power management features and technology other products won't have and there's where the (presumably) $200 price tag is coming from, including a bit of an Apple tax. On the plus side, it's a one and done purchase, not something that's going to be updated every year.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
It's pathetic how Apple pre-announces stuff half a year+ in advance. God knows when/if this thing ever comes out. Probably with the iPhone XI

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The thing is no matter how many people say it's overpriced, it's this, it's that, at the end of the day a large number of those people come around and buy the product because there's always that understanding subconsciously that you're getting a well designed, well functioning, high quality product and that's where the value and justification come from.

I feel like a lot of the people saying they won't buy this are the same people who upgrade iPhones/iPads/MBPs on an annual or biannual basis, or buy 4-5 leather iPhone cases from Apple. Figure there aren't THAT many people on this site typing their reply on a MBP from the last decade...

To each their own. Yes it's expensive, but it's going to have power management features and technology other products won't have and there's where the (presumably) $200 price tag is coming from, including a bit of an Apple tax. On the plus side, it's a one and done purchase, not something that's going to be updated every year.

I think Apple will start to realize this is no longer the case, ie. iPhone X and HomePod.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
One thing I'm surprised about with this is that in all the hands on impressions I saw from Apples iPhone keynote last fall, I never once saw anyone comment on the build quality, construction, or materials of AirPower. They all just basically said "Yeah, it's a charger" but nobody took a moment to take the AirPower in hand and comment on its construction.

I figure it must be basically identical to the magnetic watch charging dock? Had no idea it was microfiber on the bottom. I will concede that for both the AirPower and the watch dock, the weird outermost "ring" where the top and bottom parts seem "pressed" together is sort of an odd design choice:

https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/23/review-apple-watch-magnetic-charging-dock-video/

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
One thing I'm surprised about with this is that in all the hands on impressions I saw from Apples iPhone keynote last fall, I never once saw anyone comment on the build quality, construction, or materials of AirPower. They all just basically said "Yeah, it's a charger" but nobody took a moment to take the AirPower in hand and comment on its construction.

I figure it must be basically identical to the magnetic watch charging dock? Had no idea it was microfiber on the bottom. I will concede that for both the AirPower and the watch dock, the weird outermost "ring" where the top and bottom parts seem "pressed" together is sort of an odd design choice:

https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/23/review-apple-watch-magnetic-charging-dock-video/
Another thing that is surprising/concerning is that if you look closely the demonstration AirPower units that were on display didn't actually work - the iPhones placed on them didn't charge.

I can't remember the last time that Apple showed off a product in a hands-on area that wasn't actually functional.

It's also probable as a result that attendees weren't permitted to touch it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Another thing that is surprising/concerning is that if you look closely the demonstration AirPower units that were on display didn't actually work - the iPhones placed on them didn't charge.

I can't remember the last time that Apple showed off a product in a hands-on area that wasn't actually functional.

It's also probable as a result that attendees weren't permitted to touch it.

Wow, good catch - I hadn't noticed that.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Nope, I wont.

I've seen more interesting standing wireless charger that will be my choice when I get wireless charging devices.
Have none at the moment.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Ive been actually wanting some AirPods for a while now, but I'm waiting for the airpower case. And, I should point out that no one knows the price of it yet. We can speculate, but we have no solid evidence. My guess is around $129.99, because an average iPhone QI charger is $30, The airpower case is around $60. And add a little more for the technology inside of it. But, I think it will become more useful over time, once everyone in my home has iPhone 8s or up. Then, we can have multiple phones on it at once, instead of the constant fight of who gets the charger. And, its great for traveling. When I travel, I carry 2 lightning cables, the AW charger, and the MacBook charger, and it would be nice to have just 2, Airpower and MacBook. So I hope to get one

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Hope it comes with a fire extinguisher.

Come ON Apple! What is the stupid holdup? You can make a handheld computer capable of 9000 different functions, but you can’t make a plastic slab with some Qi nodes and a controller chip?

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
At this point I wouldn't even launch it anymore for iPhone X/8/8plus. Those are all old news now and it has become embarrassing. Tim Cook should stop pre-announcing vapourware he has no clue of how and when to launch (see HomePod/iMessage in iCloud etc.)

I'd expect another Airpower announcement with new Airpods (those charging cases never came out either) for the iPhone XI in September.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Mophie has just released a 10W version of their charging pad available in either black or white. I will be picking up two in white. The 7.5W version is also $10 cheaper now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.