Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be purchasing the Steve Jobs Biography?

• Yes, digital copy (ibooks, kindle, etc.)

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Yes, physical copy

Votes: 62 38.5%
  • yes, audio book

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • no

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • other?

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll wait for it to come out, read what the reviews have to say about it, and, depending on that, will probably buy it, or borrow it from a library over the next few months.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
why would you preorder something digital? They won't run out...

Two reasons; so it's downloaded automatically as soon as it's released, and in case the price changes (IIRC it was $19.95 for preorder a couple weeks ago in the iBooks Store, then suddenly dropped to $9.95).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As I stated, I sold my kindle, so I've decided to get the iBooks version and I'll read it on my iPad. I'm moving completely away from traditional print books so I have little desire to get the printed version

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Either going to wait for the movie or just read the excerpts from the websites.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If it was an autobiography, I'd probably buy it.
However, biographies (even authorised ones) lose the personal touch that make autobiographies a much more satisfying read IMO

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If it was an autobiography, I'd probably buy it.
However, biographies (even authorised ones) lose the personal touch that make autobiographies a much more satisfying read IMO

Given Job's propensity for micromanaging do you really think it lacks his personal touch. I wouldn't be surprised that Jobs was editing the manuscript right down to the grammar and punctuation.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Given Job's propensity for micromanaging do you really think it lacks his personal touch. I wouldn't be surprised that Jobs was editing the manuscript right down to the grammar and punctuation.

Well, the foreword says that that didn't happen - and the book is certainly not skipping over the negative points of his character.

I'm 12 chapters in. I can't really say that I like Isaacson's writing style - but it is interesting.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, I have no use for books these days, paper, digital or otherwise.

No offense but that seems kind of sad. Books allow my brain to work, expand my knowledge, allow me to escape into worlds that someone created, etc. I find reading has more benefits then other non-exercize activities, like watching tv and what not.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

It's still not the same (for example, as a biography, it's written in the third person rather than the first). I know that most autobiographies are written by ghost writers but the use of the first person in an autobiography makes it feel as if the subject is talking to you about their life rather than reading someone else's interpretation of the subject's feeling.

For example, I found this extract from the biography

Steve Jobs thus became the business executive of our era who is most certain to be remembered a century from now. History will place him in the pantheon right next to Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. More than anyone else of his time, he made products that were completely innovative, combining the power of poetry and processors. With a ferocity that could make working with him as unsettling as it was inspiring, he also built the world's most valuable company. And he was able to infuse into its DNA the design sensibilities, perfectionism, and imagination that make it likely to be, even decades from now, the company that thrives best at the intersection of art and technology.

I know it's just an isolated extract, but it's just recounting facts that I already knew (or suspected). I'd like to have read Jobs' own feeling and what drove him, in his own words

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I'm hoping my Amazon pre-order physical copy arrives this week (went with free shipping)! Some of the quotes I've read already certain sound like it will be a good read. I'm trying to maintain mostly spoiler free though. I want to be surprised as I'm reading.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Have read the iBooks sample. Will probably buy the full iBook soon.

Trying to stay away from physical books, makes life much easier having them all in one place!

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I want to buy the eBook version (I tend to actually read them, physical books end up sitting in a pile somewhere and end up unread).

Given the Hardback is currently CHEAPER than the eBook (thanks to the joys of 'Agency Model' price-fixing), I'm going to hold off buying the eBook until the price is fixed at a more reasonable level

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I think I have already read about the more interesting stuff to come out of it so I don't think I will bother.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No, I have no interest or desire to read about the lives of any business men.

May 8, 2008
As I stated, I sold my kindle, so I've decided to get the iBooks version and I'll read it on my iPad. I'm moving completely away from traditional print books so I have little desire to get the printed version

No offense but that seems kind of sad. Books allow my brain to work, expand my knowledge, allow me to escape into worlds that someone created, etc. I find reading has more benefits then other non-exercize activities, like watching tv and what not.

IMO, the first statement stands in sharp juxtaposition to the second statement.

Montanan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
Got my copy today and spent a little time skimming it. The book is definitely going to be a great read.

May 8, 2008
Why? An eBook is just as much a book as a piece of dead tree.

book |bo͝ok| noun
1 a written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers
2 a bound set of blank sheets for writing or keeping records in
3 a set of tickets, stamps, matches, checks, samples of cloth, etc., bound together

A book is a book. An ebook isn't a book if you look at the basic definition.

EnialusMeliamne

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Ohio
Last night, I bought the Nook version and got three chapters in. Today, I had a six hour drive, so I bought the audiobook. I found myself smiling at times, and thoughtful at times today, and the trip went by rather too quickly as a result. I can't wait for my plane trip tomorrow, so I can delve in more. I'm rather fascinated by the mans very complex nature. In many respects, he was the ordinary man, who contributed extraordinarily to this world, and yet made many of the mistakes many of us have, and much worse in others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.