Will you be upgrading to Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Mar 10, 2011.

  1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

    MacBookPro13"

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Location:
    Ireland
    #1
    I have the 2011 MPB and obviously it is running Snow Leopard. I hear that Lion will be released this summer. I have a few questions;

    1. Do you always upgrade to the latest edition of Mac OS X? (will you be buying Lion?)

    2. On the Apple store you can buy Snow Leopard for €29, if it is the same for Lion, will you get the option to do a fresh install or is this just an upgrade of Snow Leopard keeping all your files & apps in place?

    3. How many licenses do you get with the DVD? (Or is there even a license with it?)



    Thanks!
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
  3. OneMike macrumors 601

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #3
    1) Yes

    2) In the past the upgrade disc was actually just the regular fresh install disc in a different box. So if the same yes you can do fresh install and upgrade.

    3) They didn't have serials in the past and again upgrade / fresh install and family all were the same just came in different packaging. So upgrade disc is for one computer, but there isn't anything in place to enforce it.
     
  4. /user/me macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #4

    1. No, I wait for the kinks to be worked out first. Sometimes they're quite substantial.
    2. You will most likely be able to choose how you want to install Lion.
    3. not sure, but I'm guessing that you'll be able to install it how many times you want to.
     
  5. ranviper macrumors 6502a

    ranviper

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2010
    Location:
    Adirondacks, NY
    #5
    1: Yeah, I always upgrade, so I probably will try to right away.
    2: I'll try and keep all my apps and files, or perhaps Ill store them on an external and do a fresh install, always nice to start fresh.
    3: Usually buy a family pack for my pops iMac, moms MB and my MBP. :D
     
  6. talmy macrumors 601

    talmy

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Oregon
    #6
    I wait for the ".1" release since the ".0" is always buggy. Also this gives time for software updates to be compatible. I don't like to run different versions so I upgrade every computer at the same time after checking out compatibilities on one first. Note that you can always install to an external just to check things out before committing.

    Eventually Apple forces the issue when you have to buy a new computer, because they never run older OSes, and Apple software tends to require the latest or previous version as well.

    With the new Mac Application Store in place, I wouldn't be surprised if the update will be done via an App Store download. This would then key to your Apple account, allowing you to install on all computers you own. Downside is no physical media, but Optical drives are going away soon.
     
  7. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #7
    Part of the reason i jumped on the early 2011 MBPs is that i wan't a next gen computer that can still run what will become a last gen OS. That way i can sit out Lion until 10.7.3-5 (i upgraded to Snow Leopard at 10.6.3) when it would've have become more stable. I also hear there might be major UI changes which makes me even more wary.

    So yes i will upgrade but not immediately.
     
  8. Mik3F macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #8
    Yes I will be upgrading, plan on putting it on both my MBP's
     
  9. Sodner macrumors 68020

    Sodner

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #9
    Oh yea! I'll be in line to buy it when it becomes available.
     
  10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

    Mackilroy

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    #10
    Having already had a chance to try out Lion, I'll definitely be upgrading upon release. So far I've not had one issue upgrading to the initial release of any version of OS X – but I also don't use haxies or anything like that, which is probably why.
     
  11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Location:
    Preston, UK
  12. electronique, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #13
    1.) yes i will and always do

    2.) no lion will most likely cost more snow leopard wasnt a full upgrade it was kind of a half but lion is considered more substantial so it will most likely be the price leopard was when you upgraded from tiger.

    3. unless you buy a family pack(3 licenses) you will only use it once.
     
  14. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

    Angelo95210

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #14
    No I won't... because :
    - My 2007 MBP can't run Lion (and I love this computer)
    - I work with CS3 and FCP on my 2008 imac and don't want to change my sofware.

    I will wait for a new mac for this then.
     
  15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #15
    i felt the same way about the ui changes def. made me uneasy but the developer previews dont seem to indicate what i would consider a drastic overhaul except the idea of launchboard
     
  16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #16
    1. I will not be upgrading to Lion. I've got everything exactly how I like it on my 2007 White Macbook. My machine's x3100 GPU and lack of multitouch trackpad would probably limit my experience of Lion.

    2. Lion will be $129. Snow Leopard was uncharacteristically cheap because it was an under-the-hood overhaul.

    3. Technically only one. There is no serial number, though...
     
  17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    I won't be upgrading right away, and it was part of the reason I wanted to buy a new computer this year BEFORE Lion hit.

    I use my computer for audio recording, and until Avid certifies Lion for use with Pro Tools I'm sticking with my nice and stable Snow Leopard install.
     
  18. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

    ^^BIGMac

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    #18
    That's what I'll do. Wait for the dust to settle.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  19. iZero macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    #19
    I'll definitely buy it. Not sure which version I'll wait for though. I'll see how people are dealing with it the first week or two that it's out. If there are any serious problems that come up, I'll wait until the next version of Lion to buy it.
     
  20. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #20
    Yep, I'll be upgrading.

    I have a question: Why do people post the word "delete?" What's the point? Why not just move on to another thread if not interested in the one you are in?
     
  21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

    michael.lauden

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #21
    I would say that this would be good advice that I plan to ignore. I installed Snow Leopard GM10a32 pre release and have been fine - but I did have a lot of bugs. Quicksilver, Logitech Control Center and Coda to name big ones - but since then I have moved to the spotlight.

    I expect the road to Lion to be even more buggy with full screen apps co mingling with older programs. Hmm. I guess we will all see what it's like pretty soon. I'm excited.
     
  22. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #22
    Yes, but not the same time it'll be released.
    Because it could have some annoying bugs at the start,
    I will wait for several patches (10.7.0 -> 10.7.1 ->10.7.2)
     
  23. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #23
    That's always the best way to go!
     
  24. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #24
    1. I have been buying and installing versions of Mac OS X on the day of their release since Panther (10.3), I have never been plagued by the bugs that are patched in the 10.x.1 release, so I'm not at all worried.

    I plan on installing Lion on the Mac mini listed in my signature circa day one, though I am on the fence as to whether or not I'll be buying it myself as I'd be paying for it a second time when I buy my 15" MacBook Pro around September (and by then, either the current refresh will come preloaded with Lion or we'll have its successor with it preloaded) and I'd rather not buy it twice if I don't have to.

    2. Assuming nothing changes in terms of how they package and sell Lion, you'd get the full OS on one disc. That said, Apple hasn't revealed anything official about how or when they'll be releasing beyond a vague "coming Summer 2011".

    3. You get one license with the normal DVD and five with the "Family Pack". Really, if you only own two, I say just buy the normal; Apple is not going to send the software police after you.
     
  25. citizenal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #25
    I will wait to install until the update it a couple of times... I want to wait, but not too long.
     

Share This Page