Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade to 16gb?

• Hell yes! There's never enough memory!

Votes: 48 18.9%
  • I think I'll wait and see what the release of the SDK brings.

Votes: 68 26.8%
  • No way. 8gb is definitely enough for me.

Votes: 138 54.3%

• Total voters

Jphillippe

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
I voted yes, I am currently auctioning my 1.1.1 unlocked phone on this famous program called Ebay, so I can make a good profit, buy myself an otb 1.1.3 16Gb and have some spare cash for other stuff. I'm on At&t anyway so i'm not impatient for 1.1.3 unlock.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
me too!

I voted yes, because I just did! I was within the 14-day return window and decided I wanted to have music AND movies with me during my travels.

same here. I ordered an 8GB iphone saturday. I called the apple online store and canceled the order and ordered the 16GB iphone. I sent back the 8GB today and will wait for my 16GB to arrive tomorrow. =)

Cyclotrode

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Virginia
I'm happy with my 8GB iPhone, so there's no need to upgrade just yet. Maybe when the second gen model comes out, but more than likely when my contract ends June 2009, the third gen model will be either be out or close to coming out and that would be the one to get.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Yep

Just out of interest, if you currently use an iPhone, will you be upgrading?

If so, what are you going to do with your old phone?

My 16GB arrives Friday. The 8GBs are selling for about $300, so I will sell it to offset the other, plus to avoid holding onto it until it's worthless.

I am confused about the activation of a handset transfer, and the Apple rep seemed uncertain, but I will figure it out Friday or come here and ask :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Just out of interest, if you currently use an iPhone, will you be upgrading?

If so, what are you going to do with your old phone?
I upgraded on Tuesday night. And I sold my old 8 GB iPhone, also on Tuesday night. Not even an hour of overlap between when I activated the new phone and the old one went to a new loving home.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am still happily using a 4GB iphone. I do not put music on it, so I have a ton of space!

I am anxiously waiting the release of SDK, and if I start running out of room, I will hold out for the 3G iphone.

cah87

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
ill be upgrading to a 16gb maybe when 3g rolls with it. But in all honesty I would really like 32gb iphone and 3g. so i will most likely wait for that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no way. I'll get the second gen iphone, but a simple capacity increase doesn't mean very much to me (still have 2 GB free on mine).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I got an iPhone on January 18th as a birthday gift. I never even considered returning it. For me, 8GB is enough. I'll wait for at least a year or so before upgrading.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
I am alreaedy screwed with my 8GB iPhone which has become a dud after HW unlock (1.1.2 OTB). I cant return the phone as I have violated warranty conditions by opening the phone nor the newer version is unlockable for non-At&t USERS outside US. Anyways, I am seeing lots of complaints about battery life, screen issues, low-end phone features etc....When it is officially launched in India I may buy iPhone (provided pricing us not obscene which is usual in India with Apple products).

zetsurin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
God, it's quite amazing how many muppets go running out to buy the latest gadget when the only improvement is some extra storage. Apple must love you guys.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yep, I'm buying a 16GB iPhone...

because "I CAN!" I'll sell one of our 8GB iPhones, at an outrageous price to somone on Craigslist.org, (thereby saving posting fees, and PayPal extortion fees). With that extra money I'll buy my new MacBook Air, and maybe vacation on the island of Kauai, Hawaii a few months early! LOL :cool:

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Not sure the best way to vote, there should be a "waiting for 30+ GB iPhone instead."

I could vote "8GB is enough for me" because it is as I currently use the phone. That is, I hardly ever use the iPod fuctionality. My iPod usage is as follows: my 5G Video iPod used in the car on my long commute, my Shuffle at the gym, my iPhone is my phone with little to know iPod use when I'm actually at work at my desk.

Now, if they were to come out with a 30GB+ iPhone I could fit my entire music collection on that and be able to replace my in car 5G iPod setup completely with the iPhone and be able to completely get rid of my 5G. In that sense, the minute the iPhone hits 30GB or more I'll be getting one and it will even let me get rid of yet another device.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I voted no however 8 GB isn't enough. I won't be upgrading just because of a memory bump, i will probably upgrade when my iPhone dies or possibly in two years when it is vastly improved and someone else in my famibly can have my old one.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i actually sold mine just now for a good price ($400) so yea i'm upgrading. I wasn't going to but i put it up to see if i could get a good price and if so i was going to upgrade. if not keep it. For me it's my only ipod so i like to have more memory

cyberbolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Not sure the best way to vote, there should be a "waiting for 30+ GB iPhone instead."

Well, there shouldn't really, should there? The question wasn't, "Hypothetically, if Apple were to release a 32gb iPhone in the near future, would you consider upgrading if the price is right?" It was very specific, with regards to switching to 16gb. So if you're not going to, the best way to vote is no.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
at first I wasn't going to get the 16GB model but then that changed. someone said he'd give me $300 instantly for my 8GB model so this meant upgrading would only run me $150 more.

I figure my 16GB will be worth a little bit more when I sell it.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Well, there shouldn't really, should there? The question wasn't, "Hypothetically, if Apple were to release a 32gb iPhone in the near future, would you consider upgrading if the price is right?" It was very specific, with regards to switching to 16gb. So if you're not going to, the best way to vote is no.

Except there isn't a blanket "no" choice in the poll. I can only choose an emphatic "No" only by associating that choice with thinking 8GB is enough or waiting for the SDK. I don't think 8GB is enough, but I'm not waiting for after the SDK as I don't think that will have anything to do with when they introduce a 30GB+ model.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
My initial response was hell no but I might change my mind soon.

I'm sort of tight for space on my 8gig now but it just occurred to me that the SDK might force me to remove more music and video from my phone.

Of course it depends on what the SDK allows, but if apps allow saving to the iPhone HD and storing of .txt .pdf .xls .doc files + the size of the apps themselves I could easily see the 16gig tempting me.

;that said, I won't be making a buying decision until the 1st week of next month

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
the speaker sounds better on the 16gb version to me. or i should say the new one. I had a day one, one so they might have fixed this inbetween. actually the slide ot unlock and the on off button sounds are different on mine too.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Smart Muppet

God, it's quite amazing how many muppets go running out to buy the latest gadget when the only improvement is some extra storage. Apple must love you guys.

How much do you think an 8GB will go for after a 32GB with 3G comes out?

Your comment reminds me of people who couldn't believe I spent $600 on a phone on June 29. I sold my other phone for $300, then we got a $100 store credit. Maybe I should hold on to my 8GB, tediously micro-manage content to avoid storage overload, wait for the almighty 2nd gen to make major news and cause everyone to go into a frenzy, and hope to get the same price that I can get today, THEN.

Upgrading is no more illogical than holding on to the current one. Each case differs.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
My initial response was hell no but I might change my mind soon.

I'm sort of tight for space on my 8gig now but it just occurred to me that the SDK might force me to remove more music and video from my phone.

Of course it depends on what the SDK allows, but if apps allow saving to the iPhone HD and storing of .txt .pdf .xls .doc files + the size of the apps themselves I could easily see the 16gig tempting me.

;that said, I won't be making a buying decision until the 1st week of next month

8GB were perfect for me because I managed my content list, but 2 things pushed me to 16GB:

1. I've started adding full albums to my iPhone because I love the album listing. In the past I'd only download maybe 2-3 songs from an album.

2. Movie rentals. YAAAY! But with so many albums, I only average enough space for ONE rental at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.