Will you be upgrading to the 16gb iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyberbolt, Feb 6, 2008.


Are you going to upgrade to 16gb?

  1. Hell yes! There's never enough memory!

    48 vote(s)
  2. I think I'll wait and see what the release of the SDK brings.

    68 vote(s)
  3. No way. 8gb is definitely enough for me.

    138 vote(s)
  1. cyberbolt macrumors member

    Nov 10, 2007
    Just out of interest, if you currently use an iPhone, will you be upgrading?

    If so, what are you going to do with your old phone?
  2. comptr macrumors 65816

    Oct 25, 2007
    I also own a Ipod Classic 160 so the 8-gigs on the Iphone is enough for me. :eek:
  3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

    My iPhone is hacked so I don't really have the option of upgrading right now. I will be in Asia and hope the development team can do some good things. If they manage to crack the SDK I will upgrade as soon as they are sold in Bangkok. If it looks grim on the hacking front then I would wonder if a service will be offered by third parties to replace the 8 GB module and swap it out for 16. Anybody see why this wouldn't be possible?
  4. B.A. macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2007
    I voted yes, because I just did! I was within the 14-day return window and decided I wanted to have music AND movies with me during my travels.
  5. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I voted no. I will let my 8 run it's lifecycle and get a new one at some point with whatever features it has then. A memory bump is not enough reason to.
  6. Rojo macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2006
    I bought my iPhone on MacWorld day, since there was no announcements of an update then. Unfortunately that was just over the 14-day return policy window. Not that I'm completely sure I would have replaced it anyway. Thankfully the extra space is also an extra $100 (if it was the same price, then I would have REALLY been pissed). And 8gb is enough for me...for now. Of course the SDK might change all that. But either way, I don't mind switching out media all the time -- I do it a lot now anyway.

    More room isn't a big enough deal for me. I don't think I'll switch to a new iPhone until there's a version with a much better camera, and perhaps a 2nd camera on the front for videoconferencing. (I assume 3G will also be part of an upgrade -- which is nice, though not as essential for me...)
  7. jav6454 macrumors P6


    Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Very true. While many of us have the money to do such a change, a memory upgrade is not a good enough reason to swap a perfectly good iPhone. I'll let mine run it's course and/or once 3G comes out I will consider it among my options.(which should be next year I pressume...Apple doesn't want to release a 3G version too soon and piss AT&T after they spent alot on their EDGE network.)

    Besides, out of my 8GB I have 2GB free and I have many TV shows, a movie and 700 songs (which is more than enough since you don't listen not even to 1/4 of it anyway).
  8. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    There's no choice for those of us happy with the 4 Gig ones ($299 was a great deal and they have the old boot-loader ;) )
  9. dakotaiphone macrumors newbie

    Jan 24, 2008
    I had just one day left to file the return request. When I saw the new model on TUAW, I didn't even flinch, I checked to see if I could still return mine and then ordered the new one. I was also one of the people that was at first very pissed, but the more I thought about it, its good that Apple isn't letting the model stagnate. I am just happy that I have return mine and get the 16gb one. (Sorry if I seem like I am rubbing it in to people who weren't in the window).
  10. tobefirst macrumors 68040


    Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I will not be upgrading until at least iPhone 2 comes out. Maybe not even then.
  11. cyberbolt thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 10, 2007
    Yeah, sorry about that. In the UK we didn't even get 4 gig ones, so I completely forgot.
  12. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."

    From what I understand, a lot of people over there probably did.... ;)
  13. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

    Island Dog

    Sep 11, 2005
    St. Cloud, FL.
    I'm not upgrading until possibly the next big hardware update.
  14. mr.666 macrumors member

    Aug 13, 2007
    nah, i'm good with 8. i have so much crap on there i dont watch any more or listed to.... and i still have room. i'll wait till iP2.
  15. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

    Apr 7, 2006
    I'm really unsure what to do, I am still in the 14day return window but don't know if I need the extra space.
  16. bosxe macrumors member


    Jan 28, 2008
    Right with you.

    I have a 60g video iPod anyway, I have no need for 16 extra gigs on my iPhone.
  17. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005
    I'm in the 14 day windows, but I think 8GB will be enough for me for a while. I don't need all my music on the phone, that's what the "big" iPod is for. By passing on this upgrade, I wont feel so bad upgrading it in a year or two when there is some real killer new feature.
  18. aanndrew macrumors member

    Dec 14, 2007
    i wont be
    unless the sdk is so good i need more memory

    ill prob get iphone v2 thou hehe :D
  19. BiikeMike macrumors 65816


    Sep 17, 2005
    Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/264; U; en))

    My question is, once the SDK is out in the wild, and people want to start adding more and more apps, how much room are they going to take up?
  20. myphone macrumors 6502


    Jan 15, 2008
    NOT a big upgrade for me . I have a 5th generation iPod for my music. But 32 gig and 3G, maybe I will.
  21. tom2517 macrumors member

    Sep 22, 2005
    I will pass on the 16G as well.
    I will wait for 3G, flash, and etc., on iPhone 2.
  22. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

    Sep 6, 2007
    Ditto, mine isnt even full yet. Im going to keep mine for 2 yrs then decide
  23. southerndoc macrumors 65816


    May 15, 2006
    I'm waiting on 32GB and 3G. That's when I'll upgrade. Despite not being able to keep my entire 24GB music library on the iPhone, it's still quite a collection to be able to carry 6GB of my favorite music around.

    I usually upgrade every other generation for iPods. Might as well keep that philosophy with the iPhone too.
  24. adamk77 macrumors 6502

    Jan 6, 2008
    I just replaced my 8 gig with the 16 gig.

    My 8 gig was over the 14 day return period (a month, to be exact). I posted it on ebay and sold it for 380 last night, which is more than what I would have gotten had I returned it to apple with the 10% restocking fee.
  25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

    Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    I went and got a 16GB as soon as I found out about them yesterday morning.

Share This Page