Will you be upgrading your ipad this fall?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Aug 21, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody decided they want the ipad pro or the mini 4?or are you happy with what you have for at least another year? Those tempted to get the mini to take on the go?

2. Dave245 macrumors 601

I currently have the iPad Air 2, however i will be giving it to my mum IF Apple release the iPad Pro this year! as a creative individual i would welcome a bigger screen iPad Pro, the stylus would be helpful with drawing and the multitasking features in IOS 9 would be better, in my opinion. At the moment it is unknown when the iPad Pro will be announced and or released, some are saying announced at September while others say it will be announced at the usual October iPad and Mac event.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not even sure if there will be an iPad replacement other than the Pro which is a different device category. I have the Air 1 and it works great for me. Probably staying put unless they shock with me some needed changes to the Air 2 and make an Air 3. I doubt it though.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, I upgraded to the Air 2 last year and I'm hoping to get another two or three years use out of it.

6. Dave245 macrumors 601

I can't see why they wouldn't do an Air 3, if they drop the Air 1, keep the Air 2 add the Air 3 and the iPad Pro to the line up.

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Pro and mini 4 is all the main rumours right now

8. quackers82 macrumors 6502

No, I'm swimming in iPads, Air 1, Mini 1, Mini 2. I gave my iPad 2 away to my mum. The fact i use my Mini 1 the most which is the slowest of them all tells me i don't need a new one just yet.

9. Act3 macrumors 6502a

My kid would like a new iPad to use for text books for college. Just don't know whether to get one now (air 2) or is there going to be an iPad Air 3 in a couple months? Wish Apple would release or at least announce whats coming before the new school semester starts rather than a month or two after. I dont trust the rumors, especially when they snuck in the iPad 4 release.

10. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

I'm undecided if I will. I'm considering getting the iPhone 6s this fall to replace my iPad mini 2 and iPod touch 5g with one device.

11. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'm still on a Retina Mini (64GB, LTE). Only thing I wish it had was the fingerprint sensor. Otherwise does what I need it to do, which is mainly reading books. When it comes time to retire my Mini, I'll probably just compare its successor with whatever Kindle Fire is out.

12. pianoman88 macrumors regular

I plan on getting the pro. I tried a 12-inch Samsung (felt flimsy and had issues with software) and purchased an 18-inch Dell (nice, but a little too large to carry around.) My main use will be to view sheet music PDFs. The dimensions of the Surface Pro 3 look a little off to me.

13. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

It depends on exactly what the iPad Pro can do IF it is released. I need a portable digital drawing device and I'm hoping this will work out for me!

14. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

I'm on an ipad air 32gb now, and really pee'd off with the constant "a problem occured etc etc" . One way or another I'll be upgrading, hopefully in October, to either an air2, or, even better, an air3.

15. mariachi4 macrumors member

Nope, still using my ipad 2 on iOS 6 since launch date as daily driver. Surprisingly it still works like a charm.

16. ACG12 macrumors 6502

No, I have an Air 2 and it will be plenty for atleast 2 more years. I might get the mini 4 for my wife, though.

17. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

No, I won't be upgrading. When this one dies, it's my last one.

18. littelsquidge macrumors member

Have an iPad 3rd gen, that is struggling a bit and with battery life getting worse by the day. It's shared between me and the wife.... Not ideal.

We'll almost certainly be getting at least 1 new Air sized iPad this Oct/Nov for the wife. If they announce Air 3, will get that. If not, I'm hoping for a price drop on the Air 2.

I'll put ios9 on the iPad 3rd to see if it breathes any new life into it. That'll hopefully buy me some time to decide what to get myself.

Starting a new business at the end of the year and rumoured features of the pro would suit my line of work. However, the portability of the mini4 is very appealing. Ideal scenario is an Air sized iPad with the rumoured features of the Pro.

19. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

My iPad mini fits my back pocket nicely and goes with me everywhere.
    Although I am perfectly happy with my iPad mini 2, 32gb at this time, I am anxiously awaiting the release of the 4th gen. I was very disappointed with the 3 and it's lack of update (although I occasionally find myself holding down the start button waiting for an unlock because of my iPhone 6 lol)
    I figure/hope the new iPad Mini will be a substantial upgrade this year and will buy a 64gb version with the money that I already had set aside for the upgrade last fall.
    I don't know about getting rid of my current iPad Mini 2, as it is still a worthy device and runs iOS 9 just fine. I may just permanently mount it in my car and leave it there. Since I always buy the data version of any device, I can just get another sim from ATT for 10 bucks and add it to my data pool - or pull the sim from my iPad Air because it never leaves the house.
    Anyway, yup, I'm upgrading.

20. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

i just got air 2 last month. There's no reason for me to upgrade unless i'm one of those people who has to have new things all the time. Air 2 is great!

21. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Won't upgrade my iPad 2 until apple extends the battery life to 14 hrs or more. If they announce an iPad pro and it has decent battery life, I'll get that instead.

22. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Had my iPad 4 since launch in 2012, it has served me well, but the HW is upper old, so I think it's about time I upgraded.
    A iPad Air 3 with 64GB memory would serve me great. :)
    Heck, I may even signup for a 128GB Air 2.

23. nbourbaki, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

nbourbaki macrumors member

It all depends on what new functionality is being offered. Target Display Mode, hardware support for HEVC, USB-C @ 5Mbps and power delivery for fast charging would make a compelling case for upgrade. A larger iPad with additional stylus support and no additional functionality would not be compelling at all

24. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No, the iPad is pretty much dead for me. We have 5 and the only time they get used is to watch a film when traveling.

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I will get the air 3 if Apple does release it. I will not get a mini or a large ipad