All iPads Will you buy a smart case or a smart cover for your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, Oct 23, 2013.

1. zooby, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I think the smart cases look hideous. I'll probably end up getting a Smart Cover and a clear back cover.

3. MacFriedRice macrumors member

What he/she said.

:apple:

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Neither, I want to get something nice, and they aren't in that category for me. :p

5. Conan86 macrumors 6502

i was considering to get the iPad Air smart case until i saw the price. a definite no

6. bkribbs macrumors 65816

What's new with the new smart covers for iPad minis?

I think I'm picking up an old one for my new mini unless there's an actual difference.

7. arbogast777 macrumors regular

Probably not. The draw of the Air for me is the decreased weight - it doesnt make sense to me to then get something that will add weight to it. I've found that if I need to stand an iPad up there is always a way to do that without a cover

8. Ahonen, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I will definitely be getting some kind of leather case, but there's no way I am going to be spending 79.99 on Apple's leather case, which will probably be made of the same aniline leather used on the iPhone 5s case, which does not appear to hold up well to wear.

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I bought the original smart case for the iPad 3 but returned it immediately because I wasn't impressed with the quality. The back material seemed cheap and it wasn't a very snug fit.

This time however, I think Apple got it right. I will definitely be getting the Smart Case because it is now leather and matches the same exact colors for the iPhone 5/5s case, which I also own and think is a brilliant case. Also take into account that the iPad design is no longer tapered so I believe this second generation of cases will be a nice snug fit like how the Apple case is for iPhone 5/5s.

As for the price? I find it quite acceptable considering it's not only a Smart Cover but also a nice high quality leather case for the back. Anyone who owns the leather case for iPhone 5/5s could maybe vouch for the Smart Case as well.

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The Covers appear pointless in contrast to the cases.

"Here, buy a cover, then buy a half case for the back too".

So that means the price is about the same in the end.

What would you pick

Leather case
    or plasic front and plastic back at the same price in total.

No brainer for me.

11. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

The cover (in leather) is elegant and useful - especially, because it reduces usage of the weak buttons.
    Why should I hide the pad's beauty? The case, I do not use. I want to feel the contures of the aluminium.

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Why have something on the back? Just a smart cover to protect the screen while in transport and to use for propping the iPad up when not holding it.

13. jabingla2810, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

----------

I could be wrong, but there isn't a leather Smart Cover for the iPad Air.

Leather is only used in the Smart Cases.

Which is a shame, because the leather smart covers were really nice.

I'll be getting a Red Smart Cover for my iPad Air though.

14. sananda macrumors 68020

I think it's a real shame there aren't leather smart covers any more. I liked the more subtle colours.

15. THFourteen macrumors 6502

I'll probably pick up a smart case for the ipad mini retina. It looks like they resolved the issues with sharp case edges from last year.

I'd keep my ipad out of a case if i only used it at home, but i am commuting with it so it gets bashed about in my pocket or back, and i might drop it if i have to hold it standing up on a train, so prefer to have it in a case.

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i will miss the iPad smart cover for sure. bought mine for the iPad 2 and kept if for 3 different iPads. not sure what i'm gonna do now when i buy the air?? i do not want a full case,the smart cover was perfect.

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Buy a Smart Cover for the iPad Air?

18. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

White Mini Retina with red or black smart cover.

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Is apple making just a Smart Cover? The only apple cover I saw covered the whole back the entire iPad??

20. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

The apple smart cases are horrible, probably the most un Steve Jobs product they have, cheap, flimsy, useless

21. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yep!

Smart cover and Smart case :)

The only problem is that if you want leather, you now need to buy a Smart Case, which is a shame because the cases are pretty ugly.

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I definitely agree that the first generation cases were very un-Apple like and of poor quality. However I'm betting this newer version in leather will be much more improved with a better design and higher material quality. It should pretty much be the same as the iPhone 5/5s leather cases, which in my opinion are excellent.

23. tyche macrumors 6502

I need something to prop it up and I like to have the back covered because it will scratch up like crazy. What I don't like is the $90 (CDN) price. I will have to see it first to decide if waiting for a better option is best.

24. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Damn no cover in leather ???

25. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

We have to wait and see, I wouldn't expect much though. The iPad case was seriously something of walmart clearance bin quality