Will you buy fake cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ryanaaaah, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ryanaaaah macrumors newbie

Normally an original iphone 4 case is around $20 to $30, like Speck.
    But on ebay, they will just around $2 to $3 (i saw one is $0.99, OMG it's free shipping)...and look this site http://www.7daysget.com/iphone4-cases-shell_c2483/All-2?sort=2a&pagesize=100, they have all brands, but I'm sure they are 100% copies.
    so will you buy them? just thinking about if you buy a fake one which is the same with your classmate and, she found it......:eek:

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

3. Evelynds macrumors newbie

The website is right,i dont buy fake case for my iphone.
    The iPhone 4 accessories like the case covers themselves have great many varieties. Ranging from the simple and elegant plastic covers to the high-end and high-grade leather professional covers, the iPhone 4 covers make sure your smartphone stays protected from all the dust, scratches and even accidental impacts.

4. ryanaaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

I should say it's quite fair to buy this one at $5, but $29? no way....come on it's just a clear plastic case, I could pay $50 for the blade bumper, at least it's made of metal.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Go for it. I picked up a couple fake cases and they were okay but nothing close to the originals. The fake Otterbox case is sorta okay but lots of other fake cases I've seen are just really crap. You get what you pay for so don't expect much. If you want a good case, check Amazon as some sellers on there usually have legitimate ones for cheaper than retail.

6. Alexa2370 macrumors newbie

Usually when it comes to Iphone fake cases, they do not last at all....in the long run you will end up buying 10 $2 fake cases. It is equally the same as buying an original one that will last a long while.

7. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

I have bought fake cases in the past and haven't had a problem with them. I don't use a case at all anymore, so it is not an issue.

8. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

No. Most case manufacturers are small companies and deserve supporting as they as the ones who actually innovate and bring new and good products to the Market.

What annoys me about the copies is that they have the ability to produce stuff, why can't they use thier brains and design their own. Just fecking leaches.

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If the case manufactures wouldn't sell a $1 piece of plastic or rubber for $30 then there wouldn't be such a market for fake cases. I know they have to make money, but come on. A $30 apple bumper? That thing probably costs a nickel to make. They could sell it for $15, sell more of them, and still make a killing. But if people will pay it then they'll continue to charge it I suppose. And I would buy a fake case. Throughout all of the iPhones I've probably had upwards of 50 cases, from Apple all the way down to the $1 eBay Chinese ones. Some of the cheap ones worked better than the more expensive ones. It's pretty much hit or miss.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't think there is a problem as long as those cases are manufactured properly and don't have serious flaws

11. Dheald macrumors member

I wouldn't. It bottlenecks innovation when the original manufacturers have to spend the extra money to pay designers as well as engineers and all the testing that happens in between.

No more money. No more innovation.

Knock-off manufacturers have none of these costs. That is why they're fifty cents and can still make a profit.

12. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

absolutely not, I had one and I bought a real one after 3 months used. It became rigid and be frangible

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well I do buy a lot of fake cases cuz I'm here located in asia so they are everywhere. the wife changing cases daily like changing her clothes lol. I don't see any big different on the real and fake one cuz they all made of the same plastic material to me.

14. ryanaaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

I got one from Amazon, cost me 12 bucks, you guess what, it's fake
    But it's ok coz the original is $25. Quality is not bad, but still not difficult to tell the different with the original

15. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

Sometimes those cases are overstock and manufacture wants to dump them. Some cases are made of the real leather - I would buy those. I would never buy a case made out of synthetic leather - it will disintegrate in 3 month...

16. eheart macrumors newbie

they say, "you get what you pay for"... so with fake cases, you can guess.

17. ryanaaaah thread starter macrumors newbie

Your wife doing exactly the same thing with my girl friend, she do change the case every day like changing her cloth... and the essential is she said the case pattern and color have to suit her cloth, omg

18. mrmomoman macrumors newbie

fake cases

I agree that there are cheap imitations and then there are good "fakes" as well.
    Companies such as casemate, incase, griffin, etc. spend thousands of dollars making case designs for the market per month. You can tell in the quality and in the designs. The market is open due to price points and availability.

Many people think that the cases cost .15 cents to make and the higher quality pieces that you see from Casemate, incase, etc cost more than that even in their quantities. The box, the marketing, the design, the tariffs, the carrying costs to stock these things and wait for the sale, the warehouse, the DC's, etc. You factor all that in and the .99 cent part can costs upwards of 2-5 dollars. They have to move thousands just to get back to even then they can move forward. Bad design = No recoup of costs.

Also consumers for the iPhone has set the market price. They continue to pay $39 for a Neoprene SmartCover from Apple and $69.00 for a 2 dollar piece of leather from Apple for the SmartCover.

No two products are alike even when they look the same especially on ebay.

The market is expected to hit 54 billion by 2014-2015. That is a lot of movement for accessories and the "fakes" will continue to proliferate the internet and there will always be a niche for them. It's not a bad thing. You can choose to not buy from them or you can hope that you get a good "fake" that sometimes is made from the same factory as the branded products. No fancy box but then again do you don't put the box on the iPhone do you? :)

19. iJade macrumors newbie

just did... vapor pro OEM...

it depends for me... if i think the original should cost less or products with "unreasonable" price and there are replica's available that provide the same function, looks and way cheaper then i would buy one... that will make companies think of ways to improve their products and bring down prices... coz there are companies who rips us off our money...

i believe aluminum bumpers should cost less. why? because same materials, same machines and techniques are used for aftermarket car accessories that cost as much the aluminum bumpers... considering the size, functionality, and aesthetics they bring... and i think it's the research done for car accessories are much harder than iphone bumpers...

but for products that are of high quality and are of reasonable price... then i'd go for the original...

Just sharing my opinion...

20. mrmomoman macrumors newbie

I have used the replica aluminum vapor pro and I can tell you that they are very very similar to the real ones. They are still expensive in the overall scheme of things coming from China but a lot less than retail of the OEM Vapor Pro. CNC'd and the fit and finish of the product is about on par. The packaging is not that great(typical China) and you would be hard pressed to tell the OEM Vapor from the replica.

Just sharing experiences. Not trying to justify replicas just giving real experiences with some items that I have played with from China. Remember the manufacturers are mostly in China even for the High End Retail Brands. So you can't blanket statement that its a CHINESE knockoff because the Retail Brand is mostly made in China. These factories will sell the moulds to each other and spread them out quickly. In this case it is the CNC CAD File they sent to each other :)

21. iJade macrumors newbie

ooopsss i think i have to clear my post...

OEM = replica "that's the term we use for replica iPhone accessories"

OEM = original "term we use for original parts for cars"

i bought a vapor pro "replica"

Yes, most manufacturers are from China. That's why i think people can't stop replicas because molds can be sold by "insiders".
    Nothing wrong with buying replica's as long as the manufacturer admits its a replica and that they provide reasonable prices and acceptable quality...

but if the replica has poor quality even if it's cheap... then it's a no no for me... i'd rather spend money and buy the original...

yes the replica and original vapor pro are almost exactly the same! maybe 95% accurate and at par with quality...that's why i bought a replica... and i do admit to people who sees my phone that it is a replica only...

22. mrmomoman macrumors newbie

Gotcha :)

I am in the industry. So OEM to me is not replica :) we do OEM and ODM manufacturing.

We only deal with the wholesale side of it. Thought about retail but the cost to create an entirely new design, cavity molds, etc. Is just very expensive to risk for a market that is constantly changing and fickle.

I have access to many of the "OEM" products that you say and know the quality manufacturers over the "cheap" manufacturers. Even Apple, Incase, etc. have defects they are not 100%. They use better plastics and material. Tighter control.

Funny if you don't ask the chinese for the better grade of plastics you get the cheaper and if they can sell it for higher they will try. They have low, normal and high. The price difference is sometimes pennies but they get sneaky about it.

The replica case you bought is probably from one of the better ones. There are a few that use questionable aluminum material.

23. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

buy an otterbox defender case off amazon for 25 its your best bet for protection.......

24. snipez macrumors newbie

snipez

how can you guys compare a fake case to a real one?

they are both built in the same factory, lmao