Will You Ever Pre-Order from AT&T Again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eager Beaver, Oct 14, 2011.

?

1. No

47.5%
  2. Yes

52.5%
  1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Why, what was your experience?
    (maybe a important person at ATT will read this thread)

2. vertigomhs macrumors member

i prefer ordering through Apple but their site just wouldnt let me through, so i resulted to ATT.

my phone got here at 10:30am, so no complaints here.

3. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

Yes. Everything went smoothly with my transaction when Apple.com would not let me.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Don't see why not. Couldn't get Apple to work even though they had supposedly reserved a phone for me. Just had to enter my information at a later time but the link was corrupt. Anyways I managed to order from AT&T at 12pm on the 7th, still getting my phone today.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I pre-ordered the iPhone 4S just yesterday so I expect a wait so I can't complain about that. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 last year and got it before release date. They would definitely get my pre-order again.

6. Si1en7 macrumors member

I would definitely do it again. However, I need to type in my email address right next time so I actually get notifications about my order.

All in all the entire process was painless.

It seems like the folks who went to corporate stores really got screwed in the pre-order process. Next time all walk-in pre-orders should be treated like a web order. AT&T should have a better system to get these orders in faster and more reliably.

7. jason330i macrumors newbie

nope, they cancelled my order without notifying me. couldn't give me a reason why.

8. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Wow, out of 10 "NOs", only one of them posted why?
    The rest may be too disgruntled to relive their anguish?

9. Iconocat macrumors member

I will go through AT&T again. My experience was one of the good ones even though I had a payment rejected and couldn't get it updated until 10/08 at 8:00am.

FedEx delivered today just after 2pm and setting my phone up and activating was a snap.

Feel bad for the many who are having so many problems no matter where or how they ordered. :( I know it's so very frustrating. I hope the time it takes to get your phone and to get up and running with it goes by quickly!!

10. FigNewton macrumors member

Yeap, pretty much this. Been through it on the AT&T preorder thread, I'm done rehashing it.

11. Techie79 macrumors newbie

Precisely!

I pre-ordered through AT&T.com at 1 am 10/07. It was horrible. No status updates, complete run around, could not give me a delivery time, then told me I would receive them today. Nothing arrived. Tried to cancel and buy in the store, again more runaround. Finally got through to the right dept to cancel. Now I'm headed to the store to pick them up in person. You should look at the AT&T threads, lots of pre-orders got bungled. :mad:

12. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

If you have a complex or even "not-so-average" account with AT&T, you're better off ordering through them.

If you have any corporate or student discounts, you are better off ordering through AT&T.

If you are upgrading swapping, you are better off ordering through AT&T.

13. Mech63s macrumors member

I ordered on Friday at around 2 or 3pm through the Att site. I didn't expect to even get one so fast, not on launch day at least. The tracking is a little slow, I think ( this was my first preorder). But, I got it today no problems at all. Activating it online was easy to say the least, very easy and fast! And to top it off, I never had a hold on my CC or a charge. I still haven't been charged!!

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure. I orderd from both Apple and AT&T since both were having server problems at 3 AM. :(

AT&T phone arrived 4 hours before the Apple one and both came via UPS ( two different trucks ) :eek:

Dave

15. xciteboy macrumors newbie

To my astonishment, my experience with AT&T was smooth.

At around 4am EDT I couldn't get through on Apple.com, so I tried AT&T. It was pretty easy to order through the Premier site, with an expected delivery date of Oct 14th. I got a few updates during the week. Phone shipped on time, phone arrived via UPS today before 3pm. Wasn't able to set it up until this evening. Activation online via Premier site took less than 10 minutes.

I was was expecting a nightmare. I am pleasantly surprised.

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ditto.

17. Tibu macrumors member

Ordered on 10/7 at store. Never got a tracking email or shipping SMS. Was never told of 5:30PM cutoff and was reassured by the rep that they would call me on thursday to confirm phone had arrived. Needless to say this never happened.

Had to go to store, explain situation kindly, get told twice they could not cancel preorder, had to get mad and loud (unfortunately) in order to get the manager to cancel the preorder. It didn't take them more than 2 minutes to cancel it after I made a scene. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST DO IT FROM THE GET GO!?

Afterwards, they told me they had JUST run out of iphone 4s's(?) and I had to find a store that had them in stock. This was a lie as I looked around and people were still buying them and getting queued to buy. But I didn't feel like making a bigger scene and I didn't want to give them my money anyway. I asked if they could point to a store that had stock and they refused (said they didn't have that information; yeah right).

Went to a smaller regional ATT store, walked in, bought phone and left.

NEVER AGAIN

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

Sure I'd use AT&T again. Ordered at nearly 8 PM on 10/8, got my phone today - I have no complaints.

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep. I preordered for the iPhone 4 and it went without a hitch. Did the same thing this time, and although it took me longer to get through (for the 4 I was done in 5 minutes), I got my phone on time, no worries.

Both times, the tracking showed up just a couple of days before delivery day.

By the way, I ordered online.

20. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Been thrilled with every aspect of my "iPhone purchasing / setup experience. Even the shipping experience.

No, I dont work, or know anyone that works there.

21. .paul macrumors member

.paul

Not that my pre-order didn't go smoothly. It would've been much faster to have just waited and gone to the store than do the pre-order thing and wait...forever.

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use just two companies as my all time favorites for iPhones & Macs.

AT&T for their terrific speed, enjoyable purchase process & immediate activation of my annual iPhone purchase.

The Apple Online store for all my Macs.

Since I upgrade at each cycle, both companies enjoy my loyalty.

Neither can be beat. I know, I've tried most all the rest.

23. blueselvedge macrumors newbie

preorder the 4/4S through at&t and never had a problem. status updates was posted when i check, but then again, i wasnt checking the order status every 5 minutes cause i know it will be delivered to my business on release day

24. asleep, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Absolutely, every time! I had no problems getting my order in ahead of most who tried at Apple's site.

AT&T bumped my eligibility and keep me up to date on my order. Even FedEx improved this year, although I prefer UPS.

It'd be nice if Apple would activate my now 13 hour old iP4S, though.

25. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

As soon as Store.Apple.Com went back online for orders, I started trying to preorder there.

Apple.Com couldn't complete my order because "Carrier Authorization Failed".

So after 10 attempts with Apple in various forms (Web, App) over the course of an hour, I went to ATT.Com to try there.

After 3 or 4 tries, I finally got to the "submit your order" part and ordered my phone -- about 90 minutes after preorders started.

As of today, my Order Status still reads, "Back Ordered". I have no phone, no shipping number, and no projected shipping date even.

I'm not expecting to have a phone before November now... Very disappointing experience.

When I placed my order, ATT.Com said they would ship my phone On, or Before the 14th.

I wouldn't have been mad if they had said up front, "it's going to be 4-6 weeks." I'm mad that they mislead me with a promise they knew they couldn't keep.

I ordered a White 64GB phone. It seems they had a lot more stock of Black 16GB phones and shipped those out. They didn't seem to have as many of the 64GB phones.

Either that, or they totally botched my order.

I would have appreciated a note from them saying, "We're sorry we were unable to fulfill your Pre-order. Please accept our apologies. Your new expected shipping time is X"