Will You Pay $1000 For A New Phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

iPhone X announced with edge-to-edge screen, Face ID, and no home button

I love my iPhone. When I purchased iPhone 6s they were about $600 and through Sprint with a contract, I paid about $250-300 each. With that ratio, you could do the same for about $350-400.

Does anyone here think that this price point, might be enough for a rude awakening for Apple and other phone manufacturers as the price is beyond other similiar devices like tablets. I could see people spending their money on tablets, and pulling back on phone expenses. My understanding there is a significant market for last generation iPhones.

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

IMO, it's ridiculous. Most people can't even harness the full potential of their current phones, yet manufacturers try to push their latest and greatest every year. It's like how the auto industry keeps touting horsepower...vroom-vroooom.:rolleyes: Yup, a sports car with 500 donkeys under the hood is gonna be real useful puttering through rush hour traffic.:mad:

My current phone is ancient by today's standards (Galaxy S3), and I've got it rooted and custom ROM, but still haven't tapped its full capabilities. I pretty much use it for games, web browsing, presentation (screen casting) and various other stuff that manufacturers claim their newest models do. Well the older models can do the same thing, with the proper software.

$1000 for a new phone? Only if it comes with an $800 rebate.;)

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I'm not in the market this year as I tend to update every two. However it's not much more than what I paid for my iPhone 7+ in real terms as I always buy outright.
    But I doubt it would put me off.
    I think people will always find funds for what they need (want!).

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple knows there isn't a big market for the iPhone X. That's why they spent so much time on the 8.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, I'm due an upgrade so it looks like settling for a 8 or 8+. Hitting £1000 has taken it way beyond the limit of what I'm willing to pay.

Did anyone else notice the utter silence when the price was announced? They had clapped and cheered at everything else that had been announced up until that point.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I won't. I'm still using my 6 plus which is running just fine. If I upgrade it will be to the 7 plus or the 8 plus.

7. yansun, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

yansun macrumors 6502

In Europe the iPhone X will even cost a lot more than 999$, e.g. in Germany 1149€/around 1370$. That is really a hefty price tag for a phone.

8. 0007776 Suspended

I paid close to that for my 256GB 7+ but I plan to use that phone until it dies which I expect to be 4+ years. I definitely wouldn't spend that much for a phone that is going to be replaced in one or two years. And I'm not sure that I would pay it again when this one dies. I'll probably go for the storage capacity I need in an older version of the iPhone or go for an iPod touch plus a non smart phone.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Once was enough...(7+ plus AC+, accessories and that was with a discount.) Not again. Probably won't spend that for another iPad either; I do not use all the bells and whistles and it all comes down to my vision now. Whatever I can work best with within limits is what I will use once it comes to replace this 7+ (not until at least 2019.)

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Really? Maybe Apple heard that.

11. Tech198 macrumors G5

Price may be a bit high, but how else are u gonna have all this good stuff but at the same price as an iPhone 7 ?

The reason why silence could just be everyone was shocked at the price tag

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

No headphone port, no touch id.... no sale im afraid. The price doesnt help its case either.

I'm a little bewildered at the strange sensor notch at the top, and how the screen is cut to accomodate it.

And camera bulges are still annoying to see. IMHO

13. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I would be afraid of loss, theft or damage. $1000 is a lot to carry in my pocket.

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

and a $2,000 Macbook is ok to carry out in public view? I would feel a bit safer though it this phone had a case to protect it.

15. samiwas macrumors 68000

I can't think of any reason to spend $1,000 on a phone, especially when I use it almost exclusively for basic apps, short phone calls, and music in my car.

I'm trying to figure out how siri will work if you no longer press a button. I don't believe my car recognizes it if I just say "hey siri"

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No, when I pay the last AT&T Next payment on my 6S next month, I'm switching to the SE and/or waiting for rumors of an updated SE. At $350, I might even buy it in cash and switch to an MVNO.

17. kuhnje macrumors newbie

Nobody HAS to buy the newest iPhone. It’s nice that it’s there, but honestly I’ve been done with buying the latest iPhones for a while. I went from the 3G to 5S always springing for a new one (after it was out a few months, never was silly enough that I HAD to have it immediately on release). I have an iPhone SE now and although it does everything I need, my eyes are starting to go with age so I’ll finally go for a “larger” phone. It certainly won’t be an X or 8 though. A 7S will suite me fine. Thankfully the 8 (and X) will be bringing the cost of the 7S down.

18. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Not buying one; not even close. Maybe never will, actually. I had a 64GB 6Plus which cost about $1K with Applecare and tax. I thought I wanted a small tablet and would actually use iWork apps as well as iMovie but have yet to do so. I was left with an expensive, fragile iPhone Plus which was too big and was ridiculously too big with an Otterbox Defender case. In social settings when people commented on its huge size I would tell them I was lucky enough to be selected for the beta testing program of the all new, Apple iPad Micro Tablet to which they would Oooo and Ahhh. LOL! I also found myself leaving it at home more and more because I was beginning to dislike it. A lot. The dreaded buyers remorse had a strangle hold on me, for sure.

I recently bought a 32GB SE for $99 and I can honestly say I love it. I would love to be cautiously optimistic Apple will release an updated SE with current specs but realistically I cannot count on it because Apple makes their profits on hardware and a small form phone just doesn't seem to be their cup of tea.

So for me it's good bye iPhone Plus and good riddance. If Apple never updates the SE, or release a similar new phone, by the time I am ready for new phone then I will probably never buy another iPhone.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's numerous threads on this topic in the iPhone forum, please select one of those and direct your discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.