Will you restore your backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

When you get your iPhone 4, will you restore from a backup to transfer your settings and data, or start out fresh and slowly bring things in?

Personally, I'll probably start fresh. It also gives me a chance to trim out some unused apps and things.

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I would rather keep my text messages rather than lose them.

3. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I recently deleted unused apps from my iPhone, so I'll do a restore of backup data. I want the same pictures, settings, and all my old texts.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'll definitely do a restore. I keep mine pretty clean anyway.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Nope, I have the beta on my phone now, and the compter (desktop) I sync with normally will be 450 miles away, Ill have my laptop to activate with though.

Everything for me is in the cloud, between mobile me & google sync, I got it covered

I lost some of the cards in my cardbank app though :( (because ios4 beta wont sync to pc, but thats no biggie)

6. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

The iPhone 4 will be my first, but I have a Touch currently. Will I be able to restore from a backup of that and keep my game highscores and stuff?

8. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Those of you who use Gmail, how do you handle your contacts?

Right now, I use exchange for Gmail, but I sync my contacts with address book, because I have so many contacts in Gmail its just ridiculous. Plus, Gmail seems to add every address I've ever even looked at funny.

How do you sync your contacts and keep them relatively clean?

9. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

I just use the address book.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes. :)

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Using backup, I need all my texts, contacts, and whatnot.

12. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I remember digging deep in my Google setting somewhere to turn off automatic adding of contacts, or hiding them from my phone somehow...

I have over 300 contacts when I'm on gmail on my computer, but only 106 are on my phone. The 106 on my phone are the contacts I want, or have added myself, the others on gmail are the auto added contacts.

To confuse things more to sync notes in iOS4, you need to setup gmail as a IMAP account also...

[​IMG]

13. outphase macrumors 65816

Google Sync over Exchange only syncs what's under "My Contacts"

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

^ this is why my gmail works the way it does. I thought it was some setting I changed.

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yep.

When I got the 3GS and restored from my original backup, my battery life was atrocious. I restored as new after a few days of frustration, and the battery was fine. Apple has made me paranoid.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So if you don't restore from backup can you still install programs you paid for?

Though I think I'll restore from backup. For one reason, Need For Speed game. Don't want to lose the cars I've earned (and modded) so far. Not that I've gotten far into the game but far enough I would rather not start over.

17. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

You can Re-download them if you don't have them on your Machine free of charge, but if they are there then it will Sync automatically, although as you mentioned, you would lose your NFS saves.

I'll start from Scratch as I always do with a New Device, i'll be iPhone 4 App Hunting soon as my Pre-order is confirmed and will have to Make do with a BlackBerry for the next 2 weeks or so :(.

18. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I have too much app data and texts not to... So i will restore from backup.

Before doing so I'll make sure my 3GS is current, updated to 4.0, apps current, cleaned up how i want, etc, that way the restore should go very smoothly.

19. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yes, I will be restoring from backup. I don't want to lose all of my texts, game saves, and settings. If something doesn't work out right, then you can always do over and restore as new. So there's really nothing to lose by at least trying a backup restore.

20. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I think I will start clean and recreate what I had... that way any past saves and bugs and sluggishness is just out of the way.

21. roblawton macrumors 6502

I always start from scratch when I get a new handset.

With software updates, I always restore but I find a clean start on a brand new handset always makes it feel a lot snappier.

22. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm going to use it as a new setup and then sync my contacts and emails with MobileMe.

23. pab277 macrumors regular

I'm starting from scratch since i've never owned an iPhone, only an iPod Touch, and there's nothing of real importance that i kept on that (besides my apps)

24. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I want to start new, since i have my 3g jailbroken and all messed up...but how do i get my contacts from my iphone to address book on my mbp? I also want to sync over some of my gmail contacts (but not all)...how do i do this? i can get all my songs and apps from itunes, and pics from iphoto, and IDC about my texts...

please help, someone :)

25. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I will be going for a fresh setup. I have mobile me to sync all my contacts, emails and calendar. All my apps I will bring across when I need them. I think the whole thing feels snappier that way.