Will you upgrade to SnowLeopard ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jashsayani, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Will you upgrade to SnowLeopard ?

  1. Yes, definitely !

    292 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No, I'm not impressed.

    4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Well, I'll see....

    23 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. jashsayani macrumors regular

    jashsayani

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #1
    An upgrade to SnowLeopard is not much, just $29 which is a good deal. At the same time, SnowLeopard has few great updates like Screen recording with QuickTime, Text expanding and Google Cal Sync. Rest are mostly security updates, etc.

    Everyone has mixed openions about upgrading to SnowLeopard. Just wanted to know the opinions of the MacRumors community.
     
  2. GoKyu macrumors 65816

    GoKyu

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #2
    It's a no-brainer - $30 for an OS upgrade that gives you better multi-core support, as well as updating a lot of little things in the OS in general, OpenCL and Grand Central technologies...

    Whoever doesn't take advantage of this is missing out on a great deal!

    I'll be at the Apple Store the day it comes out.
     
  3. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

    jashsayani

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #3
    Yeah, seems like a good deal to me too...

    Just read several comments on TUAW that its not worth.....
     
  4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    Port Pirie, South Australia
    #4
    I will but not until I buy a new computer early next year. This MacBook Pro I'm on right now is entering the Linux world with Debian.
     
  5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #5
    Absolutly I will be getting it. I will be getting the family pack since I have two MBP's and a MB that I need to put it on. I can't wait!

    Leopard is smooth but if SL makes better use of the processor then that is great!
     
  6. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    For $30... For sure! Why the hell not - Quicktime X by itself is worth the cost.
     
  7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Location:
    Up the irons
    #7
    I'll upgrade but I'll wait a week or two and see how everyone else is doing. :)
     
  8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #8
    I think it's worth bearing in mind we'll get more info on June 16/17th about Snow Leopard, and also that we haven't seen any benchmarks yet beyond the given Snow Leopard Server ones, and the decent improvement expectation for decoding/encoding.
     
  9. Macmel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #9
    I have a question about this:
    If you already own Leopard, you are entitled to the $29 update but, how will it work?. I see two options here:

    1) It's installed over Leopard (and then removes the PPC support files, etc., to reduce its size?).

    2) It detects you have Leopard installed and then allows you to format your HD and do a clean install.

    How do you think it's gonna work?
     
  10. seb-opp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #10
    I have tiger so Id have to get a Mac Box Set, or buy Leopard now and then upgrade to SL later. Ill do it if there is much benefit for Core Duo, despite not being 64-bit
     
  11. duncanapple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #11
    For sure - esp if your buying a family pack that brings your per license cost to $10. So $10 for a much faster computer (esp when the new technologies are utilized), a couple new UI features, quicktime X, and 6gb of your harddrive back? That seems like a no brainer? I'm not sure who (other than the casual user who doesnt follow this stuff, ie no one on a MR forum) wouldnt do this upgrade... (other than PPC users) :confused:
     
  12. gibbz macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    #12
    You bet. I haven't been this excited about an OS upgrade in a long time.
     
  13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #13
    Very much looking forward to Snow Leopard. 95% of the features will be usable on my Intel iMac, so... I have no reason NOT to upgrade. :D

    (The lone exception being OpenCL, as my GPU isn't supported.)
     
  14. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

    charlesbronsen

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ont
    #14
    I will for sure upgrade. So when is supposed to be released? don't hit me
     
  15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #15
    It'll be released in September. Apple wouldn't dare release on September 11 (a Friday), but I could definitely see them releasing it on the 8th (a Tuesday). Also, in the past, as the release date approaches, Apple's posted a countdown on their site to the release. This time should be no different.
     
  16. Morod macrumors 68000

    Morod

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    On The Nickel, over there....
    #16
    Yes!
    For $129, maybe not as Leopard is a good OS for me. For $29 it's a done deal. I too will probably wait a week or so to see how the install goes for others though.
     
  17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #17
    Just make sure your hardware is 'up to speed' to take advantage.

    I do not believe my ONE YEAR OLD iMac is up to spec ......


    The GPU in my one year old iMac is not listed.

    I have this .....
    I'll probably upgrade anyway - heck it cost less than a carton of cigarettes and since I do not smoke, I'll just pretend I am throwing away money like smokers do! :lol:
     
  18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #18
    I'll be buying the family pack for $49 it as soon as it's available for pre order. I will be installing it the day I receive it. I'm not scared, I have balls!
     
  19. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #19
    Abso-freaking-lutely.

    Just hope developers jump on the GCL bandwagon.
     
  20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

    xUKHCx

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location:
    The Kop
    #20
    ~£30 for family pack, yes I will be upgrading.
     
  21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #21
    Yup I sure will. I was never excited about Tiger, Panther, Leopard ... but somehow the Keynote excited me about SL. Also $50 to upgrade 3 machines or $30 to upgrade 1 machine and accidentally upgrade the other two .... yeah it's a no brainer.
     
  22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #22
    I hate when that happens!
     
  23. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

    ltldrummerboy

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #23
    I ordered a MBP on Monday. $10 for the upgrade disc is less than two lattes. Not to mention I've spent that much on single iPhone apps.

    Yes, I'm upgrading.
     
  24. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #24
    I would if by that time my MB is still relatively clean.

    Upgrade system may results in many strange mistakes, I normally do clean installation, as most people here at MR suggested.

    So I hope I won't have too much stuff on my MB by that time, since I just reinstalled it two days ago.

    Likely, $29 might get further discount in universities, I would love to get it for $10.
     
  25. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

    theITGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    chasing the ghost in the machine
    #25
    Hells ya!!!

    Give us Snow Leopard or give us death :D

    Cheers.

    -J.-
     

Share This Page