Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade to SnowLeopard ?

• Yes, definitely !

Votes: 292 91.5%
  • No, I'm not impressed.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Well, I'll see....

Votes: 23 7.2%

• Total voters

tekio

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
I wasn't going to bother when it was excepted to be full price, but for $29 I'd be mad not to.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'll be getting the Family Pack as soon as it's available so I can upgrade all three Macs.

I'm waiting for the GTX 285 to be added to the list of OpenCL compatible GPUs, as I'm sure it will be. I'm really excited about GCD and getting all these cores on the Pro pumping away to their maximum potential.

:apple:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
For me most certainly, for $29 it is a no-brainer, and if I end up purchasing a new computer before the release (which is highly likely) then it'll only be $9. And all the upgrades in performance and the couple of new features make it a great update in my mind, almost like a MEGA bug patch for Leopard.

There's a difference between bugs and performance improvements.

In shocking news....users are ecstatic about upgrading to Snow Leopard at unheard of upgrade prices.

10 -> 10.1 was cheaper. :p

I'm the only person who voted no? Geez.

Is this because you have PPC machines, or because you wouldn't be impressed if you have an intel machine?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Most probably will but I had to vote for Well i'll see

The only reason i am hesitating is that the new quicktime looks awful, i dont like it.
if there is a way to permanently have the controls on screen then it will be a yes

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Is this because you have PPC machines, or because you wouldn't be impressed if you have an intel machine?

Eh, a little of both. Even if it was runnable on PPC, I doubt I would get it. Not a whole lot of new features, nothing for me to take advantage of. And I'm still pretty happy with Tiger & Leopard, they run fast and do what I need them to. Why change?

Semiopaque

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Eh, a little of both. Even if it was runnable on PPC, I doubt I would get it. Not a whole lot of new features, nothing for me to take advantage of. And I'm still pretty happy with Tiger & Leopard, they run fast and do what I need them to. Why change?

I agree with you to a certain extent. I love Tiger on my G4s (actually sold my Sonnet proc upgrade on my Sawtooth and downgraded back to Tiger).

I'm a little confused as to the upgrade thingy on the box set. If it allows me to do a full clean install of SL I might get that for my MBP and if - I get a particular camera I'm looking at because I may want to upgrade iLife anyhow. Otherwise might just wait to upgrade to a new Mac next year.

Tough call at this point, because, as you said, what I have does 'what I need them to'. I also need to use Windows a lot, and even if they offered Win 7 at $30 I doubt I'd upgrade at this point unless there was a clear need.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Actually I'm torn after reading in an post in this thread that my GPU is not supported, I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS in this just one year old iMac. Too bad.

But if I 'm not mistaken then the Apple fanboy in me will go buy the upgrade the day it gets released here.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm using the WWDC build on a spare MacBook right now and it doesn't have everything that was demonstrated, mainly the new Expose that is triggered via the Dock.

But it's full of minor, yet useful, touches. Default screenshot names, for example, now include the date and time, down to the second. Stacks let you browse your computer without having to open multiple Finder windows.

For $29, it's a very worthy update, and anyone with an Intel-based Macintosh should own a copy.

Wizard of Woz

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy SL but wondering if I'll notice any performance increases on my late 2006 Intel iMac?

Specs

CPU : 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM : 2GB DDR SDRAM 667MHz
GPU : 128MB ATi Radeon X1600

What exactly will SL do for my Mac?

PikachuMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Maybe not going to upgrade here. I'm still running Tiger, so it's $170 for the upgrade, not $30.

At this point, it might make more sense to put that $170 towards a new computer. My 2006-era (Gen 1,1) MBP is starting to fall apart anyway.

peoplevoice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Why not a FREE upgrade to Snow Leopard?

I will upgrade to Snow Leopard in the moment comes out. But I have been thinking why not a free update instead of paying $29 or any amount.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
But I have been thinking why not a free update instead of paying $29 or any amount.

Probably since Snow Leopard offers some additional features beyond bug fixes and not accounted for under a subscription policy. Very similar to the accounting principals that they have to comply for Sarbanes Oxley - they cannot give software away - it has to be a reasonable fee and 30 dollars is probably the lowest they can justify. Its the same situation as the iPod Touches.

The only exception to that rule is Apple's Up-to-date program which charges only for shipping and handling.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy SL but wondering if I'll notice any performance increases on my late 2006 Intel iMac?

Specs

CPU : 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM : 2GB DDR SDRAM 667MHz
GPU : 128MB ATi Radeon X1600

What exactly will SL do for my Mac?

It will let you get more out of your C2D CPU (No OpenCL for you or me though, I'm afraid :().

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I just bought a new OpenCL-compatible mini last month. I was going to wait for SL, but wanted to take advantage of the $100 rebate on a new printer/scanner. I figured that was worth more to me than getting the $129 SL free. Now that it turns out that SL is only $29 I'm even happier I made the decision.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Maybe not going to upgrade here. I'm still running Tiger, so it's $170 for the upgrade, not $30.

At this point, it might make more sense to put that $170 towards a new computer. My 2006-era (Gen 1,1) MBP is starting to fall apart anyway.

I'm sure they will eventually have a full version for $129 so you won't have to get Leopard first.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm actually more interested in Windows 7 than I am in Snow Leopard. But as long as I have a Mac, I will update its operating system. But I don't know yet in which direction I will go when my Mac Pro reaches its "end of life". There's a good chance that I will leave the Mac world behind and buy a Dell instead. But that's a decision for next year or maybe even the year after the next.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
My 2006-era (Gen 1,1) MBP is starting to fall apart anyway.

That's saying A LOT about Apple's quality... On the other hand, my PowerBook G4 is still looking great - but has serious problems with power and its batteries instead.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I will upgrade to Snow Leopard in the moment comes out. But I have been thinking why not a free update instead of paying $29 or any amount.

Because even the people who DO get a "free" upgrade (anyone who buys one of the new Macs released at WWDC) still get charged $9.95 to cover the costs of shipping and handling and media.

Although in a sense you're right, a lot of people (especially the Windows fans) think that this is really more of a Service Pack Update than a real ".1" version upgrade.

Now, does anyone know if the new QuickTime is fully functional, or do you still have to pay extra to upgrade to QuickTime Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.