Will you upgrade your 6 to a 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Jul 2, 2016.

?

Will you upgrade your iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7?

1. Yes, definitely

32.6%
  2. No, I'll wait for the "anniversary edition" iPhone next year

31.0%
  3. I'm not sure yet, I'll wait and see what it offers

36.4%
  1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Since the iPhone 7 lately seems to be getting a lot of flak, and many are saying based on the rumors that they will wait for next year's supposed giant redesign, im curious how many iPhone 6 owners plan to, like myself, upgrade to a 7 when it is released.
    I really want the 3D Touch features especially given the increased functionality of this feature in iOS 10; that being said iOS 10 runs quite well on my iPhone 6 and has most, in fact almost all, of the new features so can't complain there. Anyway I'll be upgrading for that reason in addition to the other upgrades like camera and speed.
    So, iPhone 6 owners, will you be doing the same or keeping your 6 a while longer? Or are you unsure and will wait until it is released to decide?

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

2016 iPhone 7
    vs
    2017 iPhone Pro 10th Anniversary Edition

3. gusping macrumors 6502

Most likely yes. My iPhone 6 is dying and the battery sucks. I could get it replaced for only £79 but I think i'll buy the iPhone this year and put it on ebay when I upgrade again next year. I normally don't do that but if next years phone is as good as the rumours suggest i'll happily upgrade again.

4. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

Yes as a very loyal Apple fan I have to get each years newest model

5. itsray macrumors 6502

no one even knows yet if they're even going to do anything "special" for it. I doubt they will.

6. AmazingTechGeek, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Right. If the 10th is so special, then what would make the 11th anniversary iPhone more special? Oh wait, it'll be better than the 10th anniversary phone! :l

I would say that we rely on rumors too much. Some people will buy the iPhone 7 because they are Apple fans, need a new replacement, or just want it for other reasons. Others may have other financial obligations or investments and feel the need to wait. The rest just will not want it.

I'm choosing to get the iPhone 7 and if the 10th anniversary phone impresses me, I'll buy it and sell the 7.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I will wait till Apple's announcement but I think I will wait it out this year. I had almost every generation, except that I skipped the 5 and 5S. I'm sure I can skip this year.

8. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Yes i am going to pick regular iPhone 7,since i have skipped 4.7inch models and got 5.5 inch models,it's time for me to test the regular model (i am little bored of from the bulky design of 5.5 model)

9. dsizomutt macrumors newbie

dsizomutt

I'm definitely upgrading my 6 to the 7. I'm skeptical of the whole giant redesign, I think they'll keep the current system. At least I hope so, I like being on the non-S cycle. Also my 6 is having major issues with the sleep/wake button and the silence switch, and I'm going from 16gb to 128. :D

10. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

For me, I'm thinking this could be the first time I wait it out for 3 years. If there's not much new other than camera / headphone jack removed I'll probably wait. If they manage to give more than what the rumors are saying, I would consider upgrading and then probably upgrading to the supposed big update next year. As it stands right now though I'm pretty content with my 6 plus and the current rumors aren't really getting me hyped. The best one was honestly a darker grey, but that alone won't get me this year.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Only if it ✔️'s my wants and needs boxes.

I do not buy just to have the newest ;)

Under the hood improvements are priority for me followed lastly by aesthetics.

12. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Too early to tell, but from the expected features probably not. I'd wait until a more significant update over my 6 and also will consider the next 4" revision as I still prefer that size.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Probably as I have an available upgrade. I have no issues with the 6S plus. The note 7 sounds good but I don't know what use I'd get out of an android phone when I'm so invested in the apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV).

The dual camera, waterproofing and 256GB of Memory would be a good upgrade for me, even coming from the 6S plus.

14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

How many of these "Are you going to upgrade" posts do we need ?

15. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Lots more I'll bet...

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If no headphone jack I plan to get a deal on a 6s.

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't have an iPhone 6, but I highly doubt I'll trade my iPhone SE for the new iPhone.

19. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'll be upgrading, but I may get a 6s Plus for cheap and wait for the massive upgrade next year. I can save ~$300 if I get a cheap New-In-Box 6s Plus from Swappa compared to the $850+ tax I'll spend to get the 7 Plus in the fall.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Anything is possible I suppose, but I'm still very happy with my 6. We will see what the 7 looks like, but I just don't see any features that would compel me to drop another large sum on the phone when my current phone works just fine.

Plus, kid number two is due to arrive at the beginning of November, so I don't see this as being one of those justifiable expenses.

21. Phonefanman Suspended

I'm upgrading from my 6 to the 7 because there has to be a significant upgrade from 6 to 7. I won't run out and get the 7 the first week or month it's out...

22. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

From the rumours so far, I suspect not. My 6 is running fine, and although I usually upgrade every 2 years, I might stretch it to 3 if looks like is more of an 'S2' upgrade as I'm also due a MBA upgrade (either MBP or MacBook) later this year.

23. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

24. Phonefanman Suspended

iPhone 6 is a fine phone indeed. I will get the iPhone 7 most likely a few months or more after it's released. Many are on monthly payment plans with their carrier (tmobile for example) and best to wait until current iPhone is paid off before upgrading to the newest iPhone....

That's the way I look at it anyway. I doubt my iPhone 6 will be worth much as a trade in by the time iPhone 7 is out. I'll get the 7 and keep my 6 as a backup phone.

The iPhone 6 is a fine phone indeed..

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My contract runs until April so I can read all the rumours before deciding whether to take the upgrade to the 7 or wait until September for the 2017 model.