Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade your iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7?

• Total voters

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Since the iPhone 7 lately seems to be getting a lot of flak, and many are saying based on the rumors that they will wait for next year's supposed giant redesign, im curious how many iPhone 6 owners plan to, like myself, upgrade to a 7 when it is released.
I really want the 3D Touch features especially given the increased functionality of this feature in iOS 10; that being said iOS 10 runs quite well on my iPhone 6 and has most, in fact almost all, of the new features so can't complain there. Anyway I'll be upgrading for that reason in addition to the other upgrades like camera and speed.
So, iPhone 6 owners, will you be doing the same or keeping your 6 a while longer? Or are you unsure and will wait until it is released to decide?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Most likely yes. My iPhone 6 is dying and the battery sucks. I could get it replaced for only £79 but I think i'll buy the iPhone this year and put it on ebay when I upgrade again next year. I normally don't do that but if next years phone is as good as the rumours suggest i'll happily upgrade again.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
no one even knows yet if they're even going to do anything "special" for it. I doubt they will.
Right. If the 10th is so special, then what would make the 11th anniversary iPhone more special? Oh wait, it'll be better than the 10th anniversary phone! :l

I would say that we rely on rumors too much. Some people will buy the iPhone 7 because they are Apple fans, need a new replacement, or just want it for other reasons. Others may have other financial obligations or investments and feel the need to wait. The rest just will not want it.

I'm choosing to get the iPhone 7 and if the 10th anniversary phone impresses me, I'll buy it and sell the 7.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I will wait till Apple's announcement but I think I will wait it out this year. I had almost every generation, except that I skipped the 5 and 5S. I'm sure I can skip this year.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Yes i am going to pick regular iPhone 7,since i have skipped 4.7inch models and got 5.5 inch models,it's time for me to test the regular model (i am little bored of from the bulky design of 5.5 model)

Reactions: J&D and IronH4WK

dsizomutt

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm definitely upgrading my 6 to the 7. I'm skeptical of the whole giant redesign, I think they'll keep the current system. At least I hope so, I like being on the non-S cycle. Also my 6 is having major issues with the sleep/wake button and the silence switch, and I'm going from 16gb to 128. :D

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
For me, I'm thinking this could be the first time I wait it out for 3 years. If there's not much new other than camera / headphone jack removed I'll probably wait. If they manage to give more than what the rumors are saying, I would consider upgrading and then probably upgrading to the supposed big update next year. As it stands right now though I'm pretty content with my 6 plus and the current rumors aren't really getting me hyped. The best one was honestly a darker grey, but that alone won't get me this year.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Only if it ✔️'s my wants and needs boxes.

I do not buy just to have the newest ;)

Under the hood improvements are priority for me followed lastly by aesthetics.

Reactions: Godzirra

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Too early to tell, but from the expected features probably not. I'd wait until a more significant update over my 6 and also will consider the next 4" revision as I still prefer that size.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Probably as I have an available upgrade. I have no issues with the 6S plus. The note 7 sounds good but I don't know what use I'd get out of an android phone when I'm so invested in the apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV).

The dual camera, waterproofing and 256GB of Memory would be a good upgrade for me, even coming from the 6S plus.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'll be upgrading, but I may get a 6s Plus for cheap and wait for the massive upgrade next year. I can save ~$300 if I get a cheap New-In-Box 6s Plus from Swappa compared to the $850+ tax I'll spend to get the 7 Plus in the fall.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anything is possible I suppose, but I'm still very happy with my 6. We will see what the 7 looks like, but I just don't see any features that would compel me to drop another large sum on the phone when my current phone works just fine.

Plus, kid number two is due to arrive at the beginning of November, so I don't see this as being one of those justifiable expenses.

Phonefanman

Suspended
Jun 21, 2016
I'm upgrading from my 6 to the 7 because there has to be a significant upgrade from 6 to 7. I won't run out and get the 7 the first week or month it's out...

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
From the rumours so far, I suspect not. My 6 is running fine, and although I usually upgrade every 2 years, I might stretch it to 3 if looks like is more of an 'S2' upgrade as I'm also due a MBA upgrade (either MBP or MacBook) later this year.

Reactions: MacGurl111

Phonefanman

Suspended
Jun 21, 2016
iPhone 6 is a fine phone indeed. I will get the iPhone 7 most likely a few months or more after it's released. Many are on monthly payment plans with their carrier (tmobile for example) and best to wait until current iPhone is paid off before upgrading to the newest iPhone....

That's the way I look at it anyway. I doubt my iPhone 6 will be worth much as a trade in by the time iPhone 7 is out. I'll get the 7 and keep my 6 as a backup phone.

The iPhone 6 is a fine phone indeed..

Reactions: MacGurl111

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My contract runs until April so I can read all the rumours before deciding whether to take the upgrade to the 7 or wait until September for the 2017 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.