Wimbledon 2009

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XIII, Jun 22, 2009.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well, it kicked off today, with Federer winning in straight sets.

Anyone have any thoughts on the tournament this year? Has Murray got what it takes?

Also, who has the answer to how to get hold of an elusive ticket? I am aware of the internet things they are running now, with a few hundred centre court tickets sold each evening for the next days play, but I have had no luck with that - instantly gone. Also aware of the returns tickets sold 48 hours in advance, but the same instant selling seems true there too. And queuing - I wonder what time I'd need to get there even just for a general entry ticket..

Discuss!

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm wondering who will be the first big upset!?

3. Johns12 macrumors regular

Murray has what it takes, but I still don't think he will do it this year. Watch out for Del Potro.

4. kuruption macrumors member

when i was younger we used to go, we used to go at abt 4 or 5, and people who had been watching and left would give their tickets back, which were then resold for charity.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Murray will win it at some point. I have a feeling that he is ready now so this year seems like a possibility. He can beat Federer.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It was a good quality match and the crowd really got behind Dulko, definitely the right result in my opinion.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd really like to see Murray win, but I'm not sure he's quite good enough yet...

9. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Murray has a slickyness to him. It's like I'm not really sure he's exposing his real personality. In short, he looks (and most likely, acts) like a major assh*le.

Federer's looking good in his match right now with Garcia-Lopez.

10. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

And did good, to my disappointment. I really hope someone else will win now when Nadal is out too.

11. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Federer will roll to the title. I don't expect him to be challenged more than in passing. He knows he has to take advantage of Nadal's absence. Nadal was born to neutralize Federer, and without him there, he's unmatched, and without a natural predator to deal with (so to speak).

12. Gugalpm macrumors member

It's not like Nadull the moonballer would fluke another Wimbledon anyway.

Watch Murray win this, and I'm not his fan.

13. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Fluke? There was nothing flukey about his win last year. He steadily gained on Federer over the course of three years, going from a pretty easy defeat in 2006 to a hard-fought loss in 2007 to an epic victory in 2008. That was shortly after obliterating Federer so easily in the French Open that he barely celebrated.

14. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Federer played great at 2008 Wimbledon. He had a lot of break chances, and didn't jump on them.

He could've won, but then that wouldn't have made for a great 'underdog' story that developed when he became #2.

After all, winning the 2008 US Open and 2009 French Open while being ranked #2 isn't so bad.

:)

15. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

I had been rooting for her. I am sorry to find that she is no longer there. I guess her shoulder still needs to heal itself.

16. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Hello OP, If you get to the queue by about 4:30-5:00 you should be able to get decent tickets... Grounds passes alone will get you anywhere but court 2 and centre court, so do try to go by any means.

17. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

So, in a shocking win, Hewitt takes out Del Potro.

Imagine a Hewitt-Federer final! Just like old times.

:)

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

haha, i really hope that's not the case. i'm afraid federer would come out with a win in that battle. i really want someone to stand up to him

19. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

4.30-5 is a bit hard as I don't actually live in London. Thinking of getting in queue as early as possible tomorrow or just going up at midday or something and seeing if it's possible to get in for the evening matches? Ahh I dunno...

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree with you about Murray, but I also don't think that it really matters.

All that needs to happen is Federer has one bad game, and Murray has one of his better games.

Federer has had bad games before, particularly within the 12-18 months, when Nadal took over. It looked like his confidence wasn't all there. Now with Nadal out of this year's tournament, surely Federer isn't feeling underconfident.

If Federer loses to someone, it'll happen because he was too sure of himself.

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i just dont think that anyone can beat Fed on this surface with Nadal not here.

im not going to say that last year was a fluke i think that Nadal deserved to win and i am happy that he did. but the way that Nadal plays he was bound to burn out. that is what makes Federer so good. his longevity is incredible and he can probably go on winning for the next 5 or 6 years. but Nadal's game is such an abuse on his body. the best way i can think to describe it is like a cheetah versus a wolf.

but in the end i hope that Nadal comes back. i think Fed has adjusted his play to adapt to Nadal's. but with Nadal's knees the way they are i dont know if he will ever be that amazing player we saw the last two years.

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well Murray is down a set right now. but still time for him to come back.

hewitt made a 2 set comeback earlier today.

24. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Murray won a five set thriller today, which ended under the roof.

25. djellison macrumors 68020

And started under it :)

That was a long match - he'll still be getting over it on Wed for his 1/4final.