Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
woot finally!!! what did you make of the match?

To be honest mixed doubles always looks a little silly to me. It always seems to be the lady trying to hang onto her serve and the guy rushing the net and smacking the ball at the Lady on the other team in quite a vicious manner. But, a wins a win :D

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
England
To be honest mixed doubles always looks a little silly to me. It always seems to be the lady trying to hang onto her serve and the guy rushing the net and smacking the ball at the Lady on the other team in quite a vicious manner. But, a wins a win :D

yeah i agree, i dont really like the doubles but the win for UK is awesome lol

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I missed the doubles final. The Bryan brothers from USA also lost in their final to some French guys.

I actually like watching doubles, but I feel it's less important that singles. :eek: It can get interesting though, especially Men's Doubles.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
England
yeah doubles are ok sometimes, the doubles mixed final was ok the other day watchable at least

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Sure wish ESPN would've aired more doubles/mixed doubles on their Wimbledon coverage. It seemed to be virtually non-existent, taking a backseat to the singles game.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know about Federer. I think Nadal only loses when he isn't Nadal-ish enough. He loses when he doesn't play well, which isn't often. Federer just looks beatable more often than Nadal, particularly recently.

I don't think Nadal could lose against Federer unless he has a stinker of a game. I really don't know how Nadal loses at all.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Nadal all the way… :D

Although now that Djokovic has fallen by the way side to Marat Safin, Federer's got a better chance on his side of the draw.
(4-6 6-7 2-6)

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Wow, I remember this thread from last year.

Federer is looking really sharp from what I saw in the Soderling match. If Safin doesn't implode, he could set up a really interesting semi with Federer.

I think Nadal will get through to the final on the bottom half of the draw, unless Roddick serves out of his mind and goes for his forehand in that semi.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I think you all forgetting Ivanovich is through :D
...It was also a great match

+1

Ana put on a stunning performance in Melb'n, and I don't think anyone expected her to win in Paris. But her in Melbourne got me backing her, and I think she'll go far in the women's side as well. (besides the fact that she makes Sharapova and Kournikova look like dogs. :D ) If the Williams sisters are in the same draw, one will cancel the other out, the other may go down to Davenport (if she maintains form, but she's looking tired and haggardly this year!). Someone in the women's side would need to take the power game out, which if they are all in the same draw (Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Davenport), it will be very interesting.

As far as the men.. It's been Federer/Nadal the past couple of times, hasn't it? Despite the losses, I think Nadal is getting to Roger, at least in the head games. IIRC, they are in the same draw, aren't they? If so, expect that match to be packed.

Seeing that this is grass, and Federer is currently on the same path as Sampras (Sampras never won the French Open, because like Federer, clay was his hardest surface to play on; grass was his best followed by hardcourt), These last two slams are going to be hard for him to lose on.

Though I'd like to see James Blake make it at least to the 4th round (gods above know we could use another Arthur Ashe!), I'm tipping Federer on the men's, Ivanovic on the women's.

BL.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wow, I remember this thread from last year.

Federer is looking really sharp from what I saw in the Soderling match. If Safin doesn't implode, he could set up a really interesting semi with Federer.

I think Nadal will get through to the final on the bottom half of the draw, unless Roddick serves out of his mind and goes for his forehand in that semi.

yeah, i would like to see a Nadal/Roddick semi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.