Win7: Which version did you get?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JNB, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Which Win7 is yours?

1. Starter

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Home Premium

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Professional

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. Ultimate

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm curious to see out of the myriad versions available, which one you got (or are getting).

I'm not really concerned as to whether it was OEM or retail, full or upgrade, or 32-bit or 64-bit (though you're certainly welcome to comment on that aspect of your choice, of course).

I would like to hear though why you chose one version over another, and whether you feel that you should've gone to a higher or lover version based on "what you know now".

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I chose Home Premium because it was the "Sweet spot" for me feature/price wise. The only thing I wish they had not removed that was in Vista Home Premium was network backup but there are lots of 3rd party freeware that can do this. I use the x64 version to take full advantage of the RAM. I think the issue of 32 vs 64 bit wrt drivers is now old history for the most part.

3. J400uk macrumors regular

I chose Pro as it does everything Home Premium does and more, for virtually the same price.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I got Pro because it was free through MSDN AA lol

I don't use it anymore though, using Vista SP2 since Windows 7 is actually more of a headache on my First Gen MBP.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I voted for 'Home Premium', even though I have Vista. But I think Windows 7 and Vista are so much alike that it was okay to vote here. I don't think Ultimate is worth it if Windows isn't your primary operating system. And the Starter version isn't a system to write home about. Windows 7 Professional might just be worth it, but only if it's roughly the same price as Home Premium.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm actually just beginning my first exposure to Windows, using Win7 Starter on my new netbook. The only thing I've run into that's absurd so far is that SE doesn't allow for desktop background changes, but Asus provided a utility to get around that. I heard and read all the negative publicity 7SE got, but honestly, on a netbook, it's not half bad.

The things I don't like about it, I think, are endemic to all Windows 7 versions -- for instance, it seems to keep downloading new updates and announcing to me on a daily basis that I need to restart my computer. Well, it hasn't yet today, so maybe that's done, but getting a Mac up-to-date after first installation is not so absurdist.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Im getting ultimate for my acer revo as soon as I get it. Another reason I love OS X and Ubuntu.

8. DFTU101 macrumors member

I have the home premium version of Windows 7 which is basically stripped down Windows Vista so it runs much faster. I went with the 64 bit on my bootcamp side since the 32 bit version only allows a max of 4 GB of RAM to be recognized & utilized. I don't think with any present software the 64 bit is any faster than the 32 bit (may even run slower depending on the app) but in the future if I want to utilized more RAM, I'd have the option. The OEM is cheaper which I bought from Newegg.

9. Justin Lee macrumors member

Home Premium

Best value for me and my occasional Windows needs.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have Home Premium (iMac), Professional (uMB) and Ultimate (uMBP).

Would have stuck with Pro all around for the RDP server, but got Ultimate free and was upgrading from XP Home on the iMac.

B

11. b33eazy macrumors member

I got Ultimate because that's for the big dogs. I tried the vmware fusion, but that sucks. So I'll have to follow the bootcamp route.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Home Premium

I just wanted to be able to dabble a little and run MS Office occasionally

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I almost exclusively use my Windows installation for gaming, by the way. And for keeping it up to date, which it does indeed want to do by itself quite often. The only programs I ever run in Windows are Steam (plus the games I bought through it), Windows Update, Apple Software Update, Safari and Microsoft Security Essentials.

15. robj macrumors regular

I use the Ultimate version, upgraded from Vista same flavour.

I want to buy another license to my MBP, but they are very expensive, even the Home version so I think that I'll use the ultimate torrent version :D

16. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

17. mslide macrumors 6502a

Ultimate so I could use SUA (which is only available on Ultimate and Enterprise versions). If I don't need that on a machine, I'll usually go with Professional so I can have RDP server. SUA and RDP server are the only reasons I would get a version higher than Home Premium.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Home Premium.
    Wasn't going to use the Ultimate or Professional features.

64-bit OEM

19. valvehead macrumors regular

Don't forget the 16 GB RAM limit of Home Premium. It may not sound like much of a limitation now, but give it a few years.

The same goes for the 2 TB (per volume) limit of NTFS. That's going to rear its head quite soon.

20. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I have Ultimate, since I couldn't be bothered figuring out what I would/wouldn't use, so I went for it all.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

22. minik macrumors 65816

I bought a copy of Windows 7 Professional for my dad since he wasn't fond of Snow Leopard on the Mac mini.

As for myself, I got Enterprise edition from work.

23. Windows7Guy macrumors newbie

Hello JNB,

What are the specs on your Apple computer? Windows 7 does have a lower resource consumption and many changes were made to ensure speed, stability, and performance when compared to other operating systems. Windows 7 RC is out and available for download for free directly from Microsoft. I would recommend checking out Microsoft Springboard to see what Windows 7 will offer you as a user. Also, Springboard does provide direct access to the Microsoft download center.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd361745.aspx
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

24. Norskman macrumors member

Norskman

I ended up with 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. They thing screams on my 2.8Ghz with 4GB RAM. It's amazing how much better this thing runs compared to Vista.

25. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Has anyone used 'XP Mode' in Windows 7 in Fusion?

For some reason, that sounds funny...