Windows 10 experiences on cMP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SoyCapitanSoyCapitan, Jul 18, 2015.

1. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan thread starter macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Do the full reset above and see.

2. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Yes, thanks. :) I edited my previous post with an answer to your suggestion.

3. AmanO macrumors member

Mac Pro 4,1 6 core 3.46, 16 of 1333. GTX970
    I forget if you can run an AMD and nVidia GPU side by side in OSX or Win 7-10?

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan thread starter macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Yes you can

5. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

My previous video card (Radeon 6870) didn't have boot screens, so after upgrading to El Capitan here's what worked for me,
    I disabled SIP, and use BootChamp to boot into Windows. Whenever I restart Windows 10 it goes back to my El Cap volume, because that's what I have locked in Startup Disk prefs.
    The only potential problem is that we have no way of knowing how long BootChamp will work with subsequent OS updates, as the author of that app has deemed it an "end-of-life" app due to Apple's implementation of SIP. (BootChamp won't work unless SIP is disabled)

Even though I now have a flashed GTX-680 with boot screens, I still use BootChamp to boot into my Win 10 BootCamp volume.

6. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

@howiest

Interestingly, that's exactly what I was thinking about doing since I was happy with how things worked using BootChamp pre El Capitan. I also decided to donate to the developer almost exactly in conjunction with him deeming BootChamp ”end-of-life”. o_O :)

Anyway, good to know it works fine to disable SIP and continue to use BootChamp. Maybe that's an alternative for the time being if I don't get the startup disk selection to ”go through” when doing it from within Windows 10.

Thanks!

7. haralds macrumors 6502

haralds

I do not hink, you can install on other HW. No idea on the Preview expiration.

8. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

My apologies if this matter has already been addressed but automatic updates can easily be disabled via the group policy editor.

[​IMG]

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan thread starter macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Since I wrote that review I have been very pleased with the rolling updates. They didn't break anything for me and have mostly been security updates that we should be on top of.

I also sold my iPad Air 2 and replaced it with a two year old Dell Venue 11 Pro (posting from it now). This damn thing rocks with Windows 10 and they can be found for such a cheap price and beat the iPad line in every way. i5 processor, 4GB ram, upgradeable SATA3 SSD, 4G modem, full USB 3 port, HDMI output, great touch screen, a superb pressure sensitive stylus (the newest version) AND an optional base that converts the tablet into a true laptop with keyboard and extra battery.

10. thornslack, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

thornslack macrumors regular

Has any one on Win 10 run the 3DMark API Test for DX12? I was a little disappointed in my draw calls

11. vadrum, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

vadrum macrumors newbie

Guys, I just installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit on my Mac Pro 5,1 but I have a problem with the Boot Camp drivers...
    I downloaded the last Boot Camp 5 software for this machine from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=it_IT&viewlocale=en_US

but the installation is stuck at the audio card drivers...has someone of you had this problem?
    Maybe I'm trying to use the wrong drivers?
    Thank you :)

12. vadrum macrumors newbie

Ok, I've found the solution by myself and now everything works!
    FYI if you have this problem follow this easy fix:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6567790?tstart=0

And have fun!

13. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Just tried this and it didn't help. :(
    I decided to do what howiest suggested and turn of SIP and use BootChamp to temporarily boot into Windows when I want. Will have to do for now…

14. bokkow macrumors regular

bokkow

Upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to W10 Pro was an absolute breeze. Upfront the upgrade menu showed that there might be issues with the bluetooth driver (non-standard BCM94360CD chip), went ahead anyway after making a WinClone backup.

The total process took about half an hour and everything seems to be working right away except for keyboard shortkeys and something bluetooth related (although the Apple keyboard does work anyway). I don't think I will put further effort in solving these minor issues since I only really use Windows for gaming anyway. Do have to say that W10 looks slick!

15. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I've found Driver Booster to be very helpful in finding driver updates for the most obscure bits and pieces of a Mac Pro (or any Bootcamp environment for that matter)

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

16. MacVidCards Suspended

If you have added one of the kits we (or others) sell that use the actual Apple BCM94360CD then you can use a later Bootcamp installer for a machine that shipped with the card.

You can't run the main bootcamp installer as it will tell you "unsupported" (Apple BS) but you CAN run the Broadcom installers inside to get WiFi and BT drivers that work.

17. bokkow macrumors regular

bokkow

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion MVC, I downloaded the driver-package of BC6 I found on another thread:
    [​IMG]
    Double clicked on the executable first and then tried to unpack and manually point to this folder, but did not make a difference.

However, my main need for BT does work; the keyboard is connected and works, although the function keys do not match (regular F1, F2, F3.. Windows functions), a bit annoying but not too hard to cope with.

18. thornslack macrumors regular

Hello All,

I have been running into a series of problems after updating to Win 10 and am curious if anyone has any insight into a resolution.

Firstly, I have a 4,1 to 5,1 cMP with dual x5677 processors, a vanilla gtx 980 installed, a flashed gtx 780 on hand as needed; OS X 10.10.5 installed as a RAID 0 across two ssds mounted in bays 1 and 2 on the backplane, spinners in 3 and 4, windows on an ssd mounted on a velocity solo x2 in slot 4, a USB 3.0 card in slot 3, slot 2 being open and the GPU in slot 1. I do have an upgraded AC wireless card and a blu ray reader in optical bay 2.

So, previously I had everything working fine with Win 7 installed. I used bootchamp to switch OSs sans boot screens and everything was hunky dory. A couple weeks back I ran the windows upgrade path to win 10 and things worked well for a couple days before I started showing serious disk corruption on the windows ssd. I attempted solutions, dskchk, sfc scans which offered a brief working window before windows would corrupt and and stop booting up again. So I used the recovery tools in windows advanced start up to reinstall windows, wiping all my user data and starting fresh. I reinstalled everything, worked for a few days and then my windows start menu disappeared. Windows worked and booted in properly, but the start button would not actuate the start menu, and various other minor windows services wouldn't work. But since I mostly game in Windows I lived with this for about a week as I re-read this thread preparing for another complete overhaul.

I got a brand new SSD, downloaded the bootcamp 5 drivers onto a USB drive and made a win 10 installer on a USB stick. I installed my flashed 780 and pulled all my other hard drives out, leaving the velocity card empty but installed and mounting the fresh SSD on the backplane in bay 1. I option booted directly to the windows USB installer, bypassing the bootcamp hybrid issues in theory, and proceeded to install efi boot windows 10 on the SSD. Went fine, got everything up to date and reinstalled, and then powered down. I got the hardware reinstalled, moving the Windows drive back to the velocity card putting the GTX 980 back, along with my other hard drives. Things worked for about three days, booting back and forth between OSs as needed, and last night I shut windows 10 down as I normally would. Today however, when booting through bootchamp, I get a 'No Bootable Device' message following the velocity card's bios screen.

I trouble shot the problem, using this thread's suggestions. Verified OS X was the start up disc, full shut down of OS X etc. No luck. With the 980 installed my option boot screen does nothing. It's not an issue of not seeing the disc options, it physically does not work, and a single press of the power button during this black screen period immediately shuts the tower down. So I reinstalled the 780, which does allow me to option boot into windows successfully. But upon reinstalling the 980 I am stuck with the no bootable device message when using bootchamp.

What's going on here? Seems like an EFI related issue but I don't know. PRAM reset just results in my having to re-enable my NVIDIA web driver in OS X, and an SMC reset had no discernible effect. Sorry to write a volume but I don't know how else to explain. Thanks SO much for any input!

19. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan thread starter macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Hi

If you read my progress report earlier on in this thread I had the same problems. I tried to pin it on RAM, processors, software etc until I found out that Bootcamp's translation layer or drivers were causing Windows to break or crash if installed on Samsung SSD. Moving the OS to a spinning hard drive fixed my problems. The SSD itself had no problems and I use it now in a PC.

20. thornslack macrumors regular

Oh crud! I did just acquire this Samsung 850 for a steal and never even thought about that. I do remember your problems now though and have just re-read them :(

Well thank you so much for the speedy reply, I'll have to rethink some layout options on my end I guess. I assume the 850 is a liability even on the backplane then? But only for bootcamp and not OS X if I understand properly. It is so hard to have your cake and eat it too! Might be time for a skylake build here also. What I don't understand is why it worked fine for days. Perhaps @howiest could comment, as I would be curious how his samsung SSDs are arranged/utilized in his 5,1.

Unrelated, but I have noticed that using bootchamp results in an added space (virtual desktop) in OS X after every boot. I had maybe 30 running before I noticed and pinned down the culprit. Odd.

Thanks again!!

21. bokkow macrumors regular

bokkow

Wut? So you're saying that my Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 on a Samsung 840 Pro (second DVD bay connector) will be corrupted in a short matter of time? I've only did the upgrade and clicked around a bit for not much more than 2-3 hours until now. That would seriously stink..

22. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

I'm using two 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD's (an 850 & 840) for OS X only. I'm using a WD Black spinner for Win10.
    I have the SSD's in drive bays 1 and 2, with the WD black, and a huge WD Green: for Time Machine, in the other bays.

The weird thing is, I also had disk corruption after a fairly recent Windows update. I tried to let Windows scan and repair the drive, but that left me with an unbootable Boot Camp volume. I always keep WinClone backups, so I reformatted and restored via WinClone, and all has been well so far. ~knock on wood~

My only unresolved problem, that I've all but given up on, is I can no longer use Parallels Desktop unless I buy another Win10 license. I won't elaborate but there's a massive thread here, if anyone is going through the same hassle.

23. thornslack macrumors regular

I can't say for sure as it's hard to know if a couple experiences are representative for all those drives. I had win 7 corruption at one point which I felt the apricorn card was accelerating. Never ran into those issues when mounted on the backplane, though likely unrelated. And my issue with the 850 SSD seems broader than just corruption. The drive works (mostly) properly with an EFI GPU at the moment, and I'm at a loss as to why it decided to stop booting when it was cooperating for a little while with the vanilla 980.

I feel like the issue is a combination of the SATA 6 PCIE card, the Win boot process and the cMP's EFI boot behavior. Things went south after moving my SSD to the velocity card, but it could just be that I didn't run it long enough on the backplane to experience problems there. But boot up seems extended. I'm not getting the windows 10 boot up screens in full, just the spinning circle dots, then black until the lock screen. Consequently the lock screen doesn't always appear now until I click something and then the log in screen displays, which I can't say if it's corrupt windows or weird EFI behavior. Chkdsk and sfc both were clean on my last check. But after log in things seem normal. Ugh. I'll fool around some more until my frustration levels overwhelm my desire to have this work. I'd love to hear if you experience any quirks as your install matures bokkow. And is it safe to assume your 680 is flashed?

And thanks Howiest, good to note your OS X experience is working as intended. I see you have a GTX 680 as well; is that flashed out of curiosity? What about your GTX 980 SCSC?

24. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

I just have the one GTX 680 4GB, and it's flashed so I get boot screens.

By the way, I also get the spinning dots, followed by a brief black screen before Win10 gets to the lock screen. I always just thought of that black screen period as a Boot Camp thing.

25. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have several different types of systems with Windows 10 BootCamp'd on them. All of them display the spinning dots while booting, but some of them also show the "window" with the light rays streaming through. It must be something in the way the boot was created which lacks the graphic normally there? I haven't really investigated it further.