Windows 10 Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by giodelgado, Jul 28, 2015.

?

How was your upgrade?

1. Everything works!

63.4%
  2. Windows isn't loading anymore!

4.5%
  3. Had some issues but it's working

24.1%
  4. I won't upgrade!

8.0%
  1. giodelgado, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

giodelgado macrumors regular

giodelgado

Hey guys so at midnight we're supposed to receive Windows 10, have you tried the beta on your Mac Pro? How was it?

The Verge reports it's currently downloading for some users in the background, I checked but I haven't received it yet. (if you did do not execute the .exe! wait for it to start)

Can't wait!

It seems you can download it here to Ugrade or create media installation

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro the day RTM came out, everything works.
    After 2 weeks of using Windows 10 Pro, I'm happy with the result and the new GUI. So I recommend the upgrade to all users.

3. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm still waiting for Windows to notify me if it's downloaded and ready to install. This is a pretty frustrating roll out, since the user is in the dark until it happens.

5. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Sounds like what the new iTunes does with app updates. I have the ISO but will install later.
    My biggest problem is that I use Windows in Parallels also and periodically one of them will tell me that it is not activated as it is being used on another PC. I then have to go through some crap on a phone to get a new install ID.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Upgrade was seamless and fast, I'm back up and running. Everything seems to work. My expectations were high since the beta I was running with fairly stable as well.

7. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Good to know. I have a lot of game saves so I may wait. Does Windows have;
    The same kind of upgrade like OSX where all your files stay in place?
    Migration assistant a la OSX, (I may just clean install and bring my files back that way).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, and its just as easy. I have all my data, settings and apps that I had prior to the win10 upgrade

9. H2SO4, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Oh, cool. Would you mind a very brief summary of the process please?
    Also, did you use the built in updater or the ISO from the link posted above?

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Just stay away from ISO from unofficial sources. They often contain key loggers and boot sector malware. Their aim is to create big bot nets. No known anti virus software can clean them.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I pre-reserved my copy of Windows 10, so what occured is that over the past day or so, MS downloaded the update to my SP3. So this morning I clicked the upgrade to windows 10 icon from the Windows Update window.

From there it went through the motions, probably about 15 minutes from start to finish. I let it go, and did other tasks, so I wasn't really paying too much attention. All in all, it was a very easy and quick upgrade.

12. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

No problem, Ta. That’s annoying to me - as I run in OSX the vast majority of the time.

13. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

No problem there. I used the official site.

14. Mais78 macrumors regular

I am a beta tester and have not upgraded to the final version yet. Can anyone confirm whether the version the beta tester will get is a full version (home or pro?) or OEM-like (i.e. it is valid only on the computer it is installed and cannot be transferred in the future)? Are we getting individual keys? And the last one: when Apple will release the bootcamp drivers how to upgrade them from the one currently using (Windows 8 bootcamp)?

thanks

15. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

Well, comment 3 is the official download URL from Microsoft. So your concerns should not apply, … unless you regard Windows 10 as a keylogger, boot sector malware and big botnet. And of course no anti virus has a windows removal feature (yet) :)

I upgraded a VMWare Fusion VM from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Simply mount the ISO, run the installer, drank some coffee. As painless as any modern OS installation.

16. maflynn, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, looks like MS Office is broken for me. It worked for the beta but not for the gold release. I'm uninstalling and re-installing - hopefully that will fix the problem.

Edit: The reinstall fixed the issue

17. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Hopefully going to be upgrading from 8.1 via bootcamp on my iMac today :)

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

When I open the Windows 10 upgrade window, it says that it's still validating for my Mac (with a 'notify when ready' button). How are others getting it to work?

What am I doing wrong?

19. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

20. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Is that an upgrade download? As I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1. I just want it to update like a normal update rather than go through bootcamp again.

21. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

So the Boot Camp drivers for Windows 8.1 are still working in Windows 10?

22. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I read that you have to install them again with the USB but thats not a problem :)

23. sequential macrumors newbie

Video drivers are NOT working with mac pro 13. Do not upgrade! Just wasted an hour on nothing.

FFS AMD/Apple release it already

24. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I Upgraded from windows 8.1 on my PC.

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm downloading too, screw being on Microsoft's time table. I ran the troubleshooter tool on Microsoft's site and also the manual troubleshooting instructions and got conflicting results about a particular KB update being installed on my machine. So unreliable. Anyway, installing now.